Thread: Tyler Myers

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Lightbulb Tyler Myers

After his rookie year, he's simply done nothing to show me he can put up those kind of numbers very often.

2009/2010- 82 GP, 48 points, 104 shots, 91 hits, 137 blocked shots.
    2010/2011- 80 GP, 37 PTS, 122 SOG, 107 hits, 98 BS.
    2011/2012- 55 GP, 23 PTS, 84 SOG, 78 hits, 70 BS.

I never realized that he takes very few shots for a number one pairing defenseman, I mean 48 points with 104 shots on goal? That's pretty rare, maybe we should have seen it coming.

I think he can be a very good shutdown dman and maybe put up 40 point seasons once in a while, kind of like Brent Seabrook, but the fantasy value just isn't there right now IMO. Ever since that rookie season, he's been grossly overrated in fantasy circles.

Hoping to hear from some of you guys with your thoughts on Myers.
    Last edited by dmvincent; November 28, 2012 at 4:58 PM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Pro

I agree Mac. One thing, he did improve somewhat post-ASB last year. In 26 Games, he put up 13 pts, 19 PIM, and 33 SOG.

That translates to an 82 game pace of 41 pts, 60 PIM, and 104 SOG. Not ground shattering by any stretch, but serviceable. His trend of his points decreasing is troubling though. Even though he didn't play his full season last year, his overall pace was for 34 points. Down 3 from the previous season.

He's still young, so let's hope the adage about defenseman taking longer to develop is true for him.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Deity

For the amount of money he makes, he just doesnt seem like a good value.

For those who own him in a league that uses actual salary and not cap hit, I hope you have tons of room. His salary for the upcoming season is 12M. His cap hit is 5.5M for the next 7 yrs.

Enjoy!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    I think he can be a very good shutdown dman and maybe put up 40 point seasons once in a while, kind of like Brent Seabrook, but the fantasy value just isn't there right now IMO. Ever since that rookie season, he's been grossly overrated in fantasy circles.
    I feel the same way. I know he is still young but I think he is one of those players who has a great rookie season and then never reaches that success again. I would personally stay away from him.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He might not seem good value to you fantasy GM's but he was in my opinion the best Buffalo dman for the last two yrs running excluding that sophomore slump of a few months. His other issue is that if he gets paired with the wrong dman then he struggles.

His offensive numbers being down are the result of Ehrhoff plus Sekera becoming a better PMD. However if you watch him play when he does play offense, he does a great job and shows tonnes of potential. He did however tend to play a very conservative shut down game last season where he would often join the rush late after his other dman partner or hang back a bit towards centre ice. However if I was to make an NHL team then Myers would be one of the 6 dmen I'd use. I think he has higher potential than other young dman in the league with the exception of Pietrangelo and possibly Subban/consistent Doughty/OEL. Would I put him top 6 in a fantasy league? Probably not.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think Sport's post, the one above mine, is great. Myers is better than the numbers of the last two years suggest but not as good as his rookie season projected. It's a case of incorrect expectations really.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Giant

ive liked watching him play and really dont see his rookie year as a fluke. i think he can get back to being an offensive player.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Genius

I also believe that Myers stats are more a reflection of usage than ability. He'll adapt to the role Ruff wants him in, when it becomes more offensive then Myers will be putting up the numbers poolies expect based off of his rookie season
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The mind-blowing rookie statistic about Myers that doesn't jive is his 23 even-strength assists that year. Even with the Kelowna Rockets, I'm sure he wasn't putting up that many ESA.

His 48pts are broken down as: 11G (3 PPG, 8 ESG), 37A (13 PPA, 23 ESA, 1 SHA).

Big guys like Myers take a long time to learn to play at the NHL-level.
    The unfortunate part for Myers was that the defenseman he played with during his rookie year (Tallinder) bolted after the season. The biggest flaw in most fantasy hockey people, IMO, is that they don't attribute enough credit to "chemistry". Linemate chemistry in hockey is critical. Henrik Tallinder may not have been an offensive-dynamo, but perhaps Myers felt so comfortable with him that he could play a more offensive game and let Tallinder sit home.

Also, the expectations on Myers were enormous after that Calder season. Buffalo lost Tallinder and Lydman and had to rework their D. Suddenly Myers was thrust into a default #1D slot. After that season, Buffalo signed the veteran Ehrhoff, which pushed Myers down to #2D.

Myers was just never a 48pt D-man. Everything clicked that rookie year.
    There were several different opinions of him going into his 2nd year.
    Some of us just didn't see it. Some of us, did.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; November 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM.

Ruff demands two-way play and defensive responsibility from ALL of his players. So no, Myers will never put up 50+ pts in a year so long Ruff is the head coach.

I can't speak to worth in a cap league, but in non-cap, multi-cat leagues that include hits, blocked shots and PIMs he will be a stud.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Ruff demands two-way play and defensive responsibility from ALL of his players. So no, Myers will never put up 50+ pts in a year so long Ruff is the head coach.

I can't speak to worth in a cap league, but in non-cap, multi-cat leagues that include hits, blocked shots and PIMs he will be a stud.
    EXACTLY. Good value in multi-cats, no doubt.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne