Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Cancer cure being ignored by Big Business

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Just for the record, I'm speaking in generalities with respect to the pharmaceutical industry... I'm not debating the truths behind the link in the OP.
    I would actually agree, generally. But imo...a cancer cure would be the exception that proves the rule.

Just this beer drinking slob's POV...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

As far as I know, it is not illegal for a deep-pocketed corporation or investor to simply buy out a cure from an inventor and then bury it forever for their own self-interest.

It would only be illegal if a government intervened.

Illegal or not, it's incredibly heartless and would involve two individuals to be ok with people dying everywhere so that they can have some cash. And then it involves no one finding out. And then no one ELSE finding the cure. Etc

Too many factors and while it's possible, in my opinion it's extremely unlikely. Too many people are working on this problem who actually care.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Illegal or not, it's incredibly heartless and would involve two individuals to be ok with people dying everywhere so that they can have some cash. And then it involves no one finding out. And then no one ELSE finding the cure. Etc

Too many factors and while it's possible, in my opinion it's extremely unlikely. Too many people are working on this problem who actually care.
    I agree it's incredibly heartless.

The problem is that the people working on the problem are not the people with the money and connections.

That kinda blood money would ensure a special place in hell.
    @SmittysRant

The problem is that the people working on the problem are not the people with the money and connections.
    Regardless, it would be the quintessential Faustian bargain.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Bill Gates would disagree. There are a LOT of people with more money than certain countries who give it away and would kill for a chance to be tied to solving cancer.

Dobber Sports Pro

I always found Dr. Robert C. Beck to be an interesting character, shrouded in controversy. Although, he did have a bit of following in mainstream medicine as he was nominated for a Nobel Prize. He was apparently harassed and attacked often during his professional life, and has even had his wiki page deleted. Here is an interesting video of his (it's older so bare with me):

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=N1pPH...%3DN1pPHrT-5j0

There are a few web pages for him, as well as a few other videos that can be found online. Here is a long explanation of his stances in medicine:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1115027AA8Fjzi

I don't know what to think, but I sure do enjoy reading and researching this stuff.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Bill Gates would disagree. There are a LOT of people with more money than certain countries who give it away and would kill for a chance to be tied to solving cancer.
    I like what Gates, Buffet and co. are doing, but their efforts are only in the infancy stage and the results of their efforts will not be felt on a meaningful scale for decades. Hopefully more philanthropists will follow their lead.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    I always found Dr. Robert C. Beck to be an interesting character, shrouded in controversy. Although, he did have a bit of following in mainstream medicine as he was nominated for a Nobel Prize. He was apparently harassed and attacked often during his professional life, and has even had his wiki page deleted. Here is an interesting video of his (it's older so bare with me):

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=N1pPH...%3DN1pPHrT-5j0

There are a few web pages for him, as well as a few other videos that can be found online. Here is a long explanation of his stances in medicine:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1115027AA8Fjzi

I don't know what to think, but I sure do enjoy reading and researching this stuff.
    Thanks for sharing (and doing the legwork that I'm too lazy to do haha).

Dobber Sports Ninja

I like what Gates, Buffet and co. are doing, but their efforts are only in the infancy stage and the results of their efforts will not be felt on a meaningful scale for decades. Hopefully more philanthropists will follow their lead.

I agree with you. My only point is that plenty of people with power and wealth also care deeply about issues like this. Not all rich people are total heartless beasts (just some of them!)

This isn't a novel allegation. The same assertions have been made for AIDS and autism, and I suspect others.
    @SmittysRant

...and the Clinton Global Initiative.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Not all rich people are total heartless beasts (just *most of them!)
    *corrected for truth

Dobber Sports Ninja

...and for the record, yes I'm a jaded bastard who needs a career change.

Dobber Sports Ninja

...and for the record, yes I'm a jaded bastard who needs a career change.
    Hahaha, I worked in fundraising for a while so I am probably too far the other way. I've seen some people with money do things that blow my mind (in a positive way)