Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Gaudreau

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Johnny Gaudreau

As a Flames Fan I'd like to see what Dobberites think of this guy. He's an extremely small player only 5'8 but his skills are what make him very interesting.

- He played for Boston College last year and scored 1 less point than Kris Kreider. (44 points in 44 games)
    - He's currently playing for Boston College again and is tearing it up with 19 points in 11 games.
    - He is extremely slick and fast with and without the puck and has drawn comparisons to Martin St Louis.

What do you guys think, does he stand a chance to make the NHL? I would say he has more raw talent then Baertschi at this point in time.

Administrator

The problem with the smallish players is that you don't know how it will translate at the next level. He is probably a few years away. The talent is definitely there though.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Way too early to say, but if your league has a large farm roster I'd take a shot on him.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Prodigy

After the World Juniors he'll be one of the players everybody is talking about. He's a special player.
    C- Backstrom, Johansen, E. Staal, Monahan, H. Sedin

LW- Ovechkin, Gaudreau, D. Sedin,Carter

RW- Voracek, Toffoli, Zibanajed, Frolik, Atkinson, Wilson

D- Shattenkirk, Yandle, Josi, Gostisbehere, J. Johnson, Gudas, Trouba

G- Varlamov, Dubnyk, Ramo

Yahoo 12 team keeper league H2H, 25 man rosters, Keep 20

farm squad (once called up can't be sent down):

Domi, Hellebuyck, Provorov, Zacha, Burakovsky

Stats Used:
    G,A, GWG, SHP, SOG, PPP, +-, PIMS,Hits

W,SV, SV%, GAA, SO

Dobber Sports Ace

See David Desharnais...

Dobber Sports Pro

Gaudreau is definitely a player I have on my "watch list". I do think hes a strong candidate to stay with Boston College until he graduates. Hes a sophomore this season.

Best case scenario he leaves college after this season, and Calgary signs him, starting his pro career w/ Abbotsford. There I'd expect him to spend at least 2 seasons getting used to playing against smarter, bigger, faster, stronger AHL d-men...possibly 3 seasons of AHL seasoning. Depending how he does there and how he holds his own in future Flames training camps will determine if he gets a chance to prove himself at the NHL level.

Either way, hes a player that is at least 3-5 years away from making an NHL impact.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Everybody has a chance, he's still a few years away but I like what I see. I'd add him in deeper leagues to prospect rosters and watch him in shallow leagues.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him at the World Juniors.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Great responses so far especially from some of the marquee people on this forum. The World juniors is where this kid should turn some heads, I feel he will be the go to guy on that team.. it's just no one knows it yet

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bluck View Post
    Great responses so far especially from some of the marquee people on this forum. The World juniors is where this kid should turn some heads, I feel he will be the go to guy on that team.. it's just no one knows it yet
    If that happens it's probably best to sell high. A short tournament won't suddenly cut a few years off of his development time. And in fantasy hockey time is important.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    If that happens it's probably best to sell high. A short tournament won't suddenly cut a few years off of his development time. And in fantasy hockey time is important.
    Exactly.

Even though the OP is a Flames fan, it would be better to use Gaudreau's raised status in a trade. He's got some time before he hits the NHL (if he does).

But as to what I think of him? The kid is real smart. I've heard lofty comparisons of his IQ to being the best for an American prospect in a long time. I'm not sure whether I agree or not, but the point being his IQ is incredibly high. He's also very shifty, which is important for a small player.

Yes he is small, but he's hard to get a bead on for defenders. And he's playing quite successfully against competition that is generally regarded as bigger and stronger than the CHL.

So far the kid has succeeded everywhere he's gone. Will he continue? It's definitely a high possibility but he's got a chance at missing like almost every other prospect.

Like others said, in a deep league I'd keep an eye on him/store him on the prospect bench. In a shallower league you might want to wait as you can get stronger prospects. But he's definitely one to watch. I mean he's 4th in the entire NCAA for scoring, one of only three player's in the top twenty who have less than two year's previous NCAA experience, and the second youngest of the top 20 scorers (Riley Barber is the youngest, with 15 points in 12 games)
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Nice Post Josh, I wasn't really looking to add him to any of my keeper teams just yet as I realize he's a bit away, I was more so looking to get an idea of whether he can crack the team or not. My flames have been getting better at developing prospects after the Sutter era thank god. One can't hope but to see a Baertschi - Jankowski - Gaudreau line in the future

Dobber Sports Ace

Nice Post Josh, I wasn't really looking to add him to any of my keeper teams just yet as I realize he's a bit away, I was more so looking to get an idea of whether he can crack the team or not. My flames have been getting better at developing prospects after the Sutter era thank god. One can't hope but to see a Baertschi - Jankowski - Gaudreau line in the future
    Thanks man.

And that would be sweet.

Thankfully in recent years the Flames drafting has been much improved. Hopefully Jankowski can follow a similar path to Bjugstad (and he actually looks like he is so far. Similar progression in the NCAA, albeit in a short sample size).
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Not to derail this thread a whole bunch but I wasn't to happy with the Jankowski pick. I mean we could have possibly traded up for Grigerenko I think he was picked 10th or 11th or something or we could have traded that first round pick earlier in the season for Turris. Who I think is very similar to Jankowski but isn't 5-6 years away in terms of making an impact. We also had the chance to grab Teravanian (sp) I think Feaster failed huge this last draft... he did all that work to get a 2nd rounder back and took Sielof.. like come on man.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Being from the area and able to watch BC play I definitely think he has a chance to become quite good in the NHL, but like others have said it takes much longer for the smaller players to show they can earn their keep in the "Show". See Nathan Gerbe who also put up some pretty eye popping numbers at BC himself and still hasn't established himself as a scorer in the NHL. I agree that if he lights it up at the world Juniors that might be the time to try and sell high. See Comparisons below.

GERBE:
    Season Team League GP G A PTS PIM
    2005-06 Boston College H-East 39 11 7 18 75
    2006-07 Boston College H-East 41 25 22 47 76
    2007-08 Boston College H-East 43 35 33 68 65
    2008-09 Portland Pirates AHL 57 30 26 56 63
    2008-09 Buffalo Sabres NHL 10 0 1 1 4
    2009-10 Portland Pirates AHL 44 11 27 38 46
    2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 10 2 3 5 4
    2010-11 Buffalo Sabres NHL 64 16 15 31 34
    2011-12 Buffalo Sabres NHL 62 6 19 25 32

GAUDREAU
    Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM
    2010-11 Dubuque USHL 60 36 36 72 36
    2011-12 Boston College H-East 44 21 23 44 10
    2012-13 Boston College H-East 11 9 10 19 8
    Former Dobber Baseball Writer/Contributor - Top 150 Hitters, Top 100 SP and Top 50 RP Rankings.

Main Roster:
    C: Robert Thomas, Ryan O'Reilly, Casey Mittlestaddt, Vincent Trockhek, Dylan Strome, Brock Nelson, Troy Terry, Colin White
    RW: Nikita Kucherov, Sam Reinhart, Vladimir Tarasenko, Mats Zucarello,
    LW: Jason Robertson, Nikolaj Ehlers, Max Comtois, Zach Hyman, Christian Dvorak, James VanRiemsdyk, Andrew Mangiapane
    D: Erik Karlsson, Shea Theodore, John Klingberg, Travis Sanheim, Mike Reilly
    G: Carey Price, Juuse Saros, Elvis Merzlikins, Petr Mrazek

Dobber Sports Ace

Not to derail this thread a whole bunch but I wasn't to happy with the Jankowski pick. I mean we could have possibly traded up for Grigerenko I think he was picked 10th or 11th or something or we could have traded that first round pick earlier in the season for Turris. Who I think is very similar to Jankowski but isn't 5-6 years away in terms of making an impact. We also had the chance to grab Teravanian (sp) I think Feaster failed huge this last draft... he did all that work to get a 2nd rounder back and took Sielof.. like come on man.
    Uh I wouldn't really agree with this. A couple GM's talked about the drafts lack of movement in the top 10 last year (Burke was the only one named I believe) and the idea that this was because everyone was pretty much focused on a specific player and got the player they wanted. The teams in teh top 10 very much wanted to grab dman, and the only pick traded was done to get Jordan Staal, so you can see the kind of trade it would have taken.

And I don't think either the 11th or 12th pick would have have been available. When Forsberg dropped to Washington, I doubt very much they would have traded back instead of passing on a guy I think they probably had a lot higher. And Buffalo was not going to trade back when Grigorenko was available. So I'm not sure any trade could have happened that would have allowed the Flames to grab Grigorenko.

Teravainen (who might be just as far away as Jankowski is) over Jankowski could be argue but its far from one being better at this point. There both very talented.

Jankowski isn't as bad a pick as someone make him out to be. He's a very close comparable to Nick Bjugstad, in skill set, in situations, in draft order and he's playing at a very similar level to where Bjugstad was in his first NCAA year.

Jankowski is currently leading his team in points (albeit it tied) and he's 2nd in goals. That's actually very impressive for a rookie in the NCAA, let alone one that is coming straight from high school with no junior experience (most have USHL experience coming into the NCAA). And development time might be faster than some expect. 5 - 6 years might be a little much. I'd say 3 -5 years is more likely, following a similar path to Nick Bjugstad (who was about 50/50 going pro this year).

Basic point I'm trying to make is give Jankowski a chance. It's early and Flames drafting has been pretty good in recent years.

And Sieloff is a beast. He has little fantasy relevance except in leagues that have hits/blocks but he's far from a slouch. He projects as a very hard hitting shutdown dman.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...040409828.html

Quote Originally Posted by MacLiii View Post
    Being from the area and able to watch BC play I definitely think he has a chance to become quite good in the NHL, but like others have said it takes much longer for the smaller players to show they can earn their keep in the "Show". See Nathan Gerbe who also put up some pretty eye popping numbers at BC himself and still hasn't established himself as a scorer in the NHL. I agree that if he lights it up at the world Juniors that might be the time to try and sell high. See Comparisons below.

GERBE:
    Season Team League GP G A PTS PIM
    2005-06 Boston College H-East 39 11 7 18 75
    2006-07 Boston College H-East 41 25 22 47 76
    2007-08 Boston College H-East 43 35 33 68 65
    2008-09 Portland Pirates AHL 57 30 26 56 63
    2008-09 Buffalo Sabres NHL 10 0 1 1 4
    2009-10 Portland Pirates AHL 44 11 27 38 46
    2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 10 2 3 5 4
    2010-11 Buffalo Sabres NHL 64 16 15 31 34
    2011-12 Buffalo Sabres NHL 62 6 19 25 32

GAUDREAU
    Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM
    2010-11 Dubuque USHL 60 36 36 72 36
    2011-12 Boston College H-East 44 21 23 44 10
    2012-13 Boston College H-East 11 9 10 19 8
    Gerbe is a similar situation but it's arguable that Gaudreau is more talented. Much more successful first season, being only a point off of the team lead (Chris Kreider no less).

G - Murray, Grubauer