Thread: Mayor Ford ousted from Office...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Mayor Ford ousted from Office...

This is old news in my office, but in case you guys from Toronto or surrounding areas are in the dark...

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...-can-run-again

Growing animosity of Ford in the city eventually seemed to culimate to people going after him about everything. Seems they stuck him with this...
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Dobber Sports Pro

Not from the area, but I really don't find it overly suprising.

Too bad a politician can't be ousted for being a jerk.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Master

Seems like every few months there has been a new story about his (or a family member's) rampant dumbassery. Why did his wealthy ass not just repay the $3000 dollars apologize and move on?

That said, I am somewhat surprised that the Judge went with tossing him.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Seems like every few months there has been a new story about his (or a family member's) rampant dumbassery. Why did his wealthy ass not just repay the $3000 dollars apologize and move on?

That said, I am somewhat surprised that the Judge went with tossing him.
    I'm assuming it was a "Paying the amount admits wrong doing". Which I bet his lawyer told him not to do. I'm just speculating...

Apparently ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away... go figure (sarcasm).
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by icevenom View Post
    I'm assuming it was a "Paying the amount admits wrong doing". Which I bet his lawyer told him not to do. I'm just speculating...

Apparently ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away... go figure (sarcasm).
    No, it didn't amount to squat (certainly not guilt) if he repaid it.

If he said 'oops, my mistake, didn't mean to do anything improper' and handed over the cash then it would have died then and there. Hell, even if he had just taken a walk when ever the issue came up in city council he would have been fine.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm actually one of the few who don't mind the guy. I don't like him personally and I think he's completely unprofessional and lacks judgement, but it's a tough job and he was one of the few who had the stones to make the tough decisions necessary even if it made him unpopular.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

He did a solid job, he didn't pocket the money, he gave it to his high school football team.

This city simply hasn't had many good mayors in my lifetime at least.

David Miller was a moron, John Tory would have done a much better job than him if he was elected.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I'm actually one of the few who don't mind the guy. I don't like him personally and I think he's completely unprofessional and lacks judgement, but it's a tough job and he was one of the few who had the stones to make the tough decisions necessary even if it made him unpopular.
    I actually don't mind him either, at least in terms of his general outlook and his efforts to tackle some tough issues (need for more subways versus more surface transport). He is a bit of a meatball when it comes to diplomacy and acting as the figurehead for the city, however, I honestly believe we have had far worse in the recent past (ahem.....David Miller.......ahem).

Not sure that last statement bodes well for our city!

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    I actually don't mind him either, at least in terms of his general outlook and his efforts to tackle some tough issues (need for more subways versus more surface transport). He is a bit of a meatball when it comes to diplomacy and acting as the figurehead for the city, however, I honestly believe we have had far worse in the recent past (ahem.....David Miller.......ahem).

Not sure that last statement bodes well for our city!
    Nobody is perfect... that said, I agree he was willing to go against the trend and pull for subways or other unpopular issues...

Sometimes politics causes people to choose what makes them look good rather than what the city needs. Often on expensive issues that will only reap benefits way after you are out of office are squashed (like subways!)... you raise fees/taxes while on your stay but don't see the benefit until someone elses.

That said, he is pretty bad with PR... probably a bit terrible with how he handles a lot of public things... but not like we had many options this passed election.

Didn't Tory pull out? He did look like a very good candidate.

For one of the biggest cities in North America... we sure don't get very many top candidates for Mayor. The city is tough to run (it is a mess operationally!)... maybe it scares people off.

Dobber Sports Master

... and he's allowed to run in the by-election (if there is one).

So for those keeping score:
    Rob Ford got in trouble for not repaying about $3000... and his punishment might be limited to getting kicked out and then re-elected weeks later... and not repaying the $3000.

If there is a by-election then city of Toronto gets tagged for about $7mil. Who is getting punished by the judge again?

Is it just me or is this like getting out of a speeding ticket if you can convince the people in your car to run a chinese fire drill?
    /S

Victoria DH

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    ... and he's allowed to run in the by-election (if there is one).

So for those keeping score:
    Rob Ford got in trouble for not repaying about $3000... and his punishment might be limited to getting kicked out and then re-elected weeks later... and not repaying the $3000.

If there is a by-election then city of Toronto gets tagged for about $7mil. Who is getting punished by the judge again?

Is it just me or is this like getting out of a speeding ticket if you can convince the people in your car to run a chinese fire drill?
    Haven't you learned, the end user always gets screwed in the end...
    I'm not sure he would win a by-election. Tough to say if his public opinion is up or down... he get's a lot of bad press but you only hear about complainers not people who like something. Politics makes people fairly vocal.

Who would run against him????

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by icevenom View Post
    Haven't you learned, the end user always gets screwed in the end...
    I'm not sure he would win a by-election. Tough to say if his public opinion is up or down... he get's a lot of bad press but you only hear about complainers not people who like something. Politics makes people fairly vocal.

Who would run against him????
    From what I have been reading, if Olivia Chow decides to run, she would make a worthy opponent. I dont live in Toronto, nor do I follow Toronto politics much but this is the name I have heard on the news channels as the one who could knock Ford out of office.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Maybe she could. For those unaware... She is Jack Layton's Widow.
    One of the core councilors...

She has way more of a chance than Smitherman did.