Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Timmy Thomas

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Timmy Thomas

Any chance Tim Thomas signs with a NHL team next season or do you think his time has come and gone?
    12 team points only keeper (G = 1, A = 1, W = 2, SO = 2)
    Dress 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, 2 goalies, weekly starts
    Roster limit - 20 plus 4 prospects

Dobber Sports Pro

Considering how well he's played over the past couple of seasons, I think a team will definitely take him. I don't see Boston wanting him back, especially if Rask plays as well as expected. So I'd expect a trade to another team. Perhaps even a contender before this year's playoffs (assuming the season resumes).
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Any chance Tim Thomas signs with a NHL team next season or do you think his time has come and gone?
    Depends on how much bear hunting the guy has done during the lockout.

Something tells me he's in for at least another year. I think he's got his eye on a roster spot for the next winter Olympics.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Ninja

If it's not detrimental to your team to stash him, or if you're in a deep league and in dire need of goaltending and can acquire him extremely cheap then you could take a flyer. I wouldn't though. Just feels to me like his heads not in the game anymore and who knows how much rust there will be after a full year off. Not to mention he'd need a contract and would have to put all that sideshow crap behind him.

Dobber Sports Stud

Bondon took the words out of my mouth. I can't see a team wanting to take a chance on a 38 year old goalie who has sat out a season ( assuming the NHL lockout lasts the season ) or even 1/2 a season. That's not even taking into account all of his other baggage and I'm sure he would have a short list of what teams he consider playing for.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Administrator

I just hope that everything is OK with him. If he does come back I can't see him being bad. He would probably be at least an average fantasy #1 goalie.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Maybe something came up family wise that required his fully attention, but I have a feeling he is just content with his time in the NHL considering he decided to sit out the season regardless of what was then a potential lockout. If you have a place to stash a questionable guy like him I would still wait it out though since despite his age he is still a talented, high level competitor.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Bondon took the words out of my mouth. I can't see a team wanting to take a chance on a 38 year old goalie who has sat out a season ( assuming the NHL lockout lasts the season ) or even 1/2 a season. That's not even taking into account all of his other baggage and I'm sure he would have a short list of what teams he consider playing for.
    Dominik Hasek was 36 years old when the Red Wings signed him the first time (2001-2002, Stanley Cup).
    After a full year off, he came back to the Red Wings at the age of 38 years old (2003-2004).
    And then he even re-signed with the Wings a 3rd time at the age of 41 years old (2006-2007).

The GM of all of those Red Wings teams is Ken Holland, who is still the Wings acting GM.

Tim Thomas is a Flint, Michigan native. Distance to JLA: 1 hour. He's a big family man... got three kids. We know the rest of the story. I wouldn't necessarily know if Ken Holland (four kids) is a similar "kind" of guy... but if they are, we could all end up seeing Tim Thomas in a Wings' jersey when Jimmy Howard's contract ends this summer. (and Thomas' contract with Boston ends too... so no need to do any trades. It's a simple UFA signing.)

Holland has that track record of signing the proven-aging goalie (Hasek) to make another run at another Stanley Cup... and it worked.

Just sayin.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; November 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Dominik Hasek was 36 years old when the Red Wings signed him the first time (2001-2002, Stanley Cup).
    After a full year off, he came back to the Red Wings at the age of 38 years old (2003-2004).
    And then he even re-signed with the Wings a 3rd time at the age of 41 years old (2006-2007).

The GM of all of those Red Wings teams is Ken Holland, who is still the Wings acting GM.

Tim Thomas is a Flint, Michigan native. Distance to JLA: 1 hour. He's a big family man... got three kids. We know the rest of the story. I wouldn't necessarily know if Ken Holland (four kids) is a similar "kind" of guy... but if they are, we could all end up seeing Tim Thomas in a Wings' jersey when Jimmy Howard's contract ends this summer. (and Thomas' contract with Boston ends too... so no need to do any trades. It's a simple UFA signing.)

Holland has that track record of signing the proven-aging goalie (Hasek) to make another run at another Stanley Cup... and it worked.

Just sayin.
    Good point which I hadn't thought of. I like your Ryan Miller theory better though haha. I guess in recent years even we have seen this though, when the Red Wings tried to sign Nabokov to that cheap contract to get him back into the NHL.
    Maybe I'm making it into a bigger issue than it is, but I really can't see how a team, unless very desperate, could give Thomas a chance considering what he did off the ice last year. It was a big time distraction, not to mention he bailed on his team.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Good point which I hadn't thought of. I like your Ryan Miller theory better though haha. I guess in recent years even we have seen this though, when the Red Wings tried to sign Nabokov to that cheap contract to get him back into the NHL.
    Maybe I'm making it into a bigger issue than it is, but I really can't see how a team, unless very desperate, could give Thomas a chance considering what he did off the ice last year. It was a big time distraction, not to mention he bailed on his team.

I don't think Thomas is as much of a "distraction" as people say. I've been in lots of hockey locker rooms with guys that had been going through divorces, criminal trials, even one guy that had apparently beat another player in the parking lot. Once guys are in the locker room, everything is all hockey. The other stuff goes away. It's not a distraction. Hockey players are only focused on the hockey. (Now, if the distraction actually affects play, like Carter/Richards conditioning/leadership in Philly... then you've got a different story. But I don't think "opinions" are actual distractions to a hockey club.)

On Ryan Miller... I think the Wings should make him their long-term option for 2014-beyond.
    Tim Thomas as a one-year contract would work VERY nicely for the Wings.
    And I think Thomas might agree to that... he get's to be close to home and it's a short committment.

The situation in Detroit now is very similar to 2001.
    The team had several aging stars (Yzerman, Shanahan, Robitaille, Hull, Larionov) that were 3 years removed from their previous Stanley Cup (1998).
    Holland probably felt like this team had one last good-shot at a Cup... and he signed the old proven goalie (Hasek).

The Wings next summer (2013) will be 5 years from their previous Stanley Cup (2008).
    Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen are entering the tail-end of their careers like Yzerman, Shanahan, Robitaille, Hull.

Very, very, very similar situation.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would be really cautious about expecting above-average results from Thomas if he ends up playing for a team with a lesser quality defense than Boston (which means pretty much every other team in the league).

It would seem he was already in rapid decline in the second half of last season, managing only a 2.65 GAA and .906 SV% from January 1 forward. Granted, he won 19 of 35 games played in that stretch, but those peripherals really stink.

Perhaps the White House controversy played into it, and he can recover his form without that type of distraction, but I'm not so sure.

Having said all that, I did scoop him up in this summer's supplemental drafts in both my keeper leagues...no harm in seeing what happens if you have the bench space.
    10 team roto, Keep 17 + 50 farmers (Farm GP limits 246 F, 328 D and 200 G). Dress 9F 5D 1Ut 2G (G, A, D-pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, W, SV%, GAA)

F- Tavares Bergeron Simmonds Kucherov Radulov Skinner JVR Brown R. Smith Perron Kesler
    D- Doughty Josi Giordano Suter Muzzin Boroweicki
    G- Dubnyk Murray Smith
    Farm highlights: Abramov, Chlapik, Cirelli, Kunin, Mantha, McCarron, Perlini, Johnsson, Zykov, Ritchie, Honka, Kylington, Sorokin, C. Point, Dansk

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thomas said he's taking the year off, so I would expect him to be back in 2013-2014 (if the NHL lockout ends).

People are writing him off like crazy, I'm not ready to do that just yet.

Could have pretty decent value if he lands on a good team.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Do you guys think a team like Columbus might take a crack at Thomas? They really need some stability in net but I'm not sure Thomas would want to sign with an up and coming team.

Where else do you guys think he might be a good fit? (other than Detroit)
    H2H, 12 Teams, Full Keeper
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT
    Goalies: GS, W, L, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C - McDavid, Kadri, Zibanejad, Stastny
    LW - Pacioretty, Hoffman, Brown
    RW - Pastrnak, Radulov, Neal
    D - Letang, Ellis, Edler, Muzzin, Orlov, Weber
    G - Vasilevskiy, Dubnyk, Talbot

FARM:
    C - McLeod
    LW - Bellows, DeBrusk
    RW - Aberg
    D - Makar, Nurse
    G - Sorokin, Soderstrom

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by fantasy junkie View Post
    Where else do you guys think he might be a good fit? (other than Detroit)
    Personally, I think it's Detroit-or... Minnesota?

Here's what we know about Thomas:
    1. He's a family man.
    His family is in Michigan.

2. He's old.
    Old guys don't come back to play on teams with a bunch of young kids or that are rebuilding.

3. He's a republican.
    Don't give me shit for this... but... (I have enough Republican friends to know that) Republicans are pretty good & frugal with money.
    So Thomas won't be at any financial hurt for cash. It's not like he's going to sign with a team because he needs the money.
    (And please, please, let's not derail this thread... it's just one small point).

When players get old, their wishlist is as follows:
    1. If they haven't won a cup, they want a chance to win the cup.
    2. If they have won a cup, they are looking for either:
    2a: A good location for their family... or
    2b: A friendly locker room environment (i.e. good teammates).

The one thing that could deter Thomas from Detroit is that I doubt he has many buddies on the team. Buddies might be formed Bruins... or... maybe guys he's played with on Team USA. The Team USA guys are pretty young in general... but two of them did just sign in... Minnesota.

Minnesota, another team with a goalie with an expiring contract.
    Yup, Niklas Backstrom's contract expires this year... and Minnesota might look to go in another direction. I've speculated that I could see Mike Smith in Minnesota because his wife is a US Olympic skiier (Minnesota = good skiing/snow). But, Minnesota could also consider Tim Thomas for a year or two and pair him with fellow US-Olympians: Ryan Suter & Zach Parise. With Heatley & Koivu, the lockerroom in Minnesota might be considered a more-veteran lockerroom and that might be attractive to Thomas.

1. Detroit
    2. Minnesota (if they don't sign Mike Smith)

Dobber Sports Genius

Pengwin seems to have some interesting theories going on here... and they all have merit. You've certainly laid out a few interesting arguments
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar