Thread: 2013 fantasy draft

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default 2013 fantasy draft

Hey guys just looking for some advice or some of your drafts are going to do draft order for there 2013 fantasy draft. We still have not had our 2012 draft (which positions determined already).

So any advice would be helpful

Dobber Sports Ace

We've had our 2012 draft, but have already decided that 2013 (if there's no season) will be a weighted one.

Pretty simple for us b/c this is the 4th year.

We'd just assign points per finish each year (12 for last, 1 for winner).....put the total numbers into a hat/random lottery generator and have at it.

Ie - a last, 2nd last, 2nd last finish would net you 34 total tickets to the lottery.
    First, second, first would net you 4 tickets.

Everyone would have a chance to land the top pick, but obviously the shoddier performers over the past three years would have the highest likelihood.

You can factor in a winning season if you did a weighted pool......you could factor in how many first overall picks someone has had...but we felt a simple weighting was best for us.

We also considered just adding the total numbers per finish and NOT making it random. Ie- if you had the highest total (ie-the worst performer over three years) you'd get top pick.

Best performer over the three years would get the last pick.

But in the end, felt having SOME sort of chance for everyone to get the top pick was worth it.
    Last edited by Reuben; November 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM.

Dobber Sports Pro

I like that idea, Reuben. You could also do a straight up lottery. Sometimes previous years rankings might not be the best way. The team in my sig was a bottom dweller last year - I took it over mid-year. Immediately tore down to rebuild, but with the environment of my league, it was worth it to take my stock piled prospects and put a solid team together.

You could make the lottery draft a snake one, so it's not sooo bad on the guys drafting at the end of round 1.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thats a good begining start as we too are a new league 2012-2013 would be our 4th year.

My only problem is the following senerios

Year 1: started league 9 teams (after season 2 inactive teams left)

Year 2: started league 10 teams (so 3 new teams split players from previous 2)

Year 3: started league 12 teams

Year 4: 2012-2013 12 teams(1 new owner as removed inactive owner)

So how would I weight it fairly that the team entered this year does not get an advantage

Any other ideas

Thanks Reuben

Dobber Sports Pro

You could use the points system, and then average it out by the number years that team has been in the league.

For example.

Team A:
    Year 1, not existent
    Year 2, 3rd - rating of 10
    Year 3, 8th - rating of 5
    Year 4, 5th - rating of 8

average rating = (10 + 5 + 8) / 3 = 7.67

This might not work if one of the teams that have only been in for 1 or 2 seasons would be considered an anomaly.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Pro

In a brand new keeper we drafted in September a week after the lockout began lasted a month..

So we will have no season results to go by. Probably gonna just use a draft order randomizer, so everyone in league gets a fair shot at #1

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    In a brand new keeper we drafted in September a week after the lockout began lasted a month..

So we will have no season results to go by. Probably gonna just use a draft order randomizer, so everyone in league gets a fair shot at #1
    We're in a similar situation. Last season was our inaugural season, so while we have some rankings to go by, ultimately we decided it wasn't enough. It would be unfair to weight it.

So randomized it will be, only if the season is cancelled.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson