Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Women Fighting in the Ultimate Fighting Championship

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Women Fighting in the Ultimate Fighting Championship

Bad?
    Or
    Good?

Why?

Does this change your mind at all or inspire you?
    http://youtu.be/v6NN9E9mG_E?hd=1
    Put together by yours truly... Any feedback would also be nice on it. It's my first highlight.
    Last edited by sexymountain; November 23, 2012 at 2:57 AM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Good... don't see why they shouldn't.

I don't think the issue is opportunity... it's more lack of enough legitimate talent to fill the division.

Nice avatar.

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont have an issue with it. Some of the women look better in there then the men do. its no worse then womens boxing so if they want to go in there and have at 'er, then I say all the power to them.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Their cards are too thin right now. One injury and the whole thing falls apart. Hopefully the women catch on as must-see fights to help make the show better.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's like women's hockey, I support their right to play, but it's painful to watch. Not a fan. I would never pay to watch women fight. Sideshow at best.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    It's like women's hockey, I support their right to play, but it's painful to watch. Not a fan. I would never pay to watch women fight. Sideshow at best.
    i guess you aren't watching the right leagues to make such an ignorant comment on either sports.

women's fighting might be new to the UFC, but it's been going on around the world in MMA for many years, and there is a very high level of competition overseas.

Women's hockey is also entertaining to watch. My father coached university women's hockey here in Canada for over a decade, and it's tiresome to hear sexist, bullshit comments like yours from men who can't get their heads out of their own asses.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Give me a break. It is neither ignorant or sexist for him to have the opinion of women's hockey being painful to watch. Kids playing hockey is painful to watch also. But that's just for me - many people might feel differently and actually find entertainment value in it. Fair enough. But I don't and it's just a personal preference. Point is - personal preferences are not the same thing as ignorance.
    it is completely ignorant and sexist to say that women's hockey is painful to watch. it's essentially saying 'women can not play hockey at a comparable level to men." that is a sexist statement. I am willing to be that female Canadian university hockey players could easily whip the snot out of anyone posting in this thread in a game of hockey.

Personal preference is saying "I prefer not to watch women's hockey." Sexism is saying "women's hockey is painful to watch."

You yourself just compared women's hockey to children's hockey, obliquely, in your own post. The language that we use to discuss these issues is indicative of how society has conditioned us to view women, and it comes out in unintentional as well as intentional ways.

Sexism is such an institution in our society - something that was have been so conditioned to accept as the norm - that we are in many cases incapable of recognizing our own ignorant or sexist actions.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    Women's hockey is also entertaining to watch. My father coached university women's hockey here in Canada for over a decade, and it's tiresome to hear sexist, bullshit comments like yours from men who can't get their heads out of their own asses.
    You are entitled to your opinion on what you find entertaining, please allow me to have my own tastes.

Just because I find it difficult to watch women's hockey, doesn't mean it's sexist. For me, the entertainment value isn't there - I don't find it exciting knowing that men's hockey is so much more physical, faster and entertaining.

Sexist would be if I were to support women only being able to play beach volleyball or tennis, you know, something where they can show off their real talents (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). But I didn't say that.

Again, I support women's rights to play/do anything they wish, I just don't really want to watch it. Heck, I definitely would support them fighting against men if they were good enough, no problem at all. I can't figure out why the PGA won't let a woman play against the men in an "Open" event!? I guess she would have to hit from the men's tees though, to be fair. But I digress...bottom line, not sexist, just find it boring!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

Women's hockey is slower (than an equal level of men's hockey), less physical (than an equal level of men's hockey - particularly since body contact is not allowed), and less skilled (than an equal level of men's hockey)

Now that doesn't mean it has to be any less entertaining, but for many people who want to watch hockey at the highest level, women's hockey is not there yet, and in all honesty, will never be there.

I went to the Gold Medal Game for the Women's National U18 and had a decent time. There was a good level of intensity and my family enjoyed it. But I would be bored to tears having to watch it on a regular basis.

For me it's the same thing in MMA. The entertainment value simply is not there. Not because women are lesser human beings but because they are (and this might be shocking to some people) ... different! *gasp*

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post

For me it's the same thing in MMA. The entertainment value simply is not there. Not because women are lesser human beings but because they are (and this might be shocking to some people) ... different! *gasp*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHm9XjjbXIg

Are you not entertained?

Strikeforce has a limited roster, but has anyone in this thread ever watched Korean or Japanese women's MMA? It's amazing to watch. Truly excellent fighting. I've been watching it for about 15 years, and I have yet to be bored.

I was at GSP's fight in Montreal on Saturday night at UFC 154, in the 8th row, and I can tell you that the level of skill in women's MMA overseas is at the same tier as what the UFC is putting on its PPV broadcasts.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I am willing to be that female Canadian university hockey players could easily whip the snot out of anyone posting in this thread in a game of hockey.
    Completely irrelevant. I've played hockey against women and there were a couple that were well above my level in both physicality and hockey skills. What's your point exactly? That as long as women play hockey at a higher level than me, I should be entertained? Garbage!

Personal preference is saying "I prefer not to watch women's hockey." Sexism is saying "women's hockey is painful to watch."
    I also find watching lawn bowling, racquetball, synchronized diving, NASCAR, poker and sometimes CFL football painful to watch. That statement is NOT sexist simply because the word women is there.

Sexism is such an institution in our society - something that was have been so conditioned to accept as the norm - that we are in many cases incapable of recognizing our own ignorant or sexist actions.
    Pulpit time I guess. So the fact that I find women's hockey painful to watch means I am ignorant? I just don't agree with this line of thinking.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well maybe you're right. I am a 'light' MMA viewer and pretty much only watch the big PPV stuff.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Strikeforce has a limited roster, but has anyone in this thread ever watched Korean or Japanese women's MMA? It's amazing to watch. Truly excellent fighting. I've been watching it for about 15 years, and I have yet to be bored.

I was at GSP's fight in Montreal on Saturday night at UFC 154, in the 8th row, and I can tell you that the level of skill in women's MMA overseas is at the same tier as what the UFC is putting on its PPV broadcasts.
    Don't get me wrong, if women are fighting in MMA or whatever (Strikeforce, etc), I wouldn't not watch because they are women. I would watch and make my own judgement as to whether or not the fight was a good one.

I found the undercards to the latest UFC fight (GSP's return) to be on the boring side for the most part.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Pulpit time I guess. So the fact that I find women's hockey painful to watch means I am ignorant? I just don't agree with this line of thinking.
    Call it a pulpit if it makes you feel better. Maybe it's time to look inward and start living intentionally. You are hardly unique in espousing these opinions, and I decided to stop accomodating sexism years ago, so I point it out when i encounter it. It's up to you to decide how you react to what I have written here, and how you choose to phrase your opinions.

There are others in this thread who have discussed the issue without using the same tone or language as your post.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Well maybe you're right. I am a 'light' MMA viewer and pretty much only watch the big PPV stuff.
    It's not very well distributed outside of the Asian market, unfortunately.