Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good hockey books?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Good hockey books?

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone can give some good recommendations on hockey books to read. I've read a lot of the big ones already (Lions in Winter, The Game, etc.). And I have Pat Burns out from the library now. But I'm looking for more of hockey books that may not get a lot of fanfare that would be good reads.

For example, there's a new book about a Bruins player from the 60s-70s (can't remember who offhand: O'Reilly?). Is it worth the read?

Or the new book about Paul Henderson. Or the one about Bettman. etc.

Any suggestions on good hockey books?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Giant

'gretzky's tears' was pretty good.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Administrator

I have a few at home that may be of interest. When I get back home after work I will try to remember to get their titles and author names.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

I saw one in the bookstores about the 1992-93 season (Habs winning the Cup, Leafs in the semis, Lemieux cancer battle, Gretzky out for the first half of the year, etc.). I was thinking of getting it, but I didn't know if it would be worth it.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

I liked "Searching For Bobby Orr" by Stephen Brunt.

Another book I read a couple years ago that I liked was called "King of Russia". Its a book written by Dave King about his year coaching in the Russian Super League, and really introducing us to Evgeny Malkin, who King coached that one year.

The Theo Fleury autobiography was a good book too. Interesting read. I think it was called "Playing with Fire".
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

I recently read Game Misconduct about former head of the NHLPA Alan Eagleson and corruption in hockey. While it isn't necessarily about hockey, it is a must-read for anyone who cares about the state and history of hockey/NHL.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

The Theo Fleury autobiography was a good book too. Interesting read. I think it was called "Playing with Fire".
    Yeah that's the right title. I should really get around to reading it, my brother left it for me last time he was home and it's been collecting dust on my shelf.

Dobber Sports Stud

I've got a copy at home (autographed from when they first released it) I've been waiting to read when I can sit down and cover it in on go (EDIT: referring to Playing with Fire).

I've also heard good things about Ken Dryden's "The Game" (although haven't read this one either).

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Learning about the history of the game and I like stuff such as the Illustrated History of the NHL or McFarlane's Hockey History books (history of the NHL, Stanley Cup Fever, 100 years of hockey, etc).

I don't like more specific books such as the Sanderson one though The Game is cool. There was also a recent special magazine edition released by The Hockey News where they looked at each past NHL season and included some old THN articles in there.

I also found online 3 hockey magazines from 1955/56 called Hockey Pictorial. To get them, google Hockey Pictorial 1995 torrent and it should be the 2nd or 3rd result (torrent file).

I've found THN magazines online going back to 2009. I also found through my local library each THN issue going back to 2006 in pdf format though it's tedious to go through. They also have versions of Hockey Digest up there. If your library is in Canada then there's a very good chance they have access to the EBCO database or whatever it's called and that you can access these.

Anyways I'll keep searching for cheap hockey history books or any books online to learn about the game's past, might as well with a lockout. Martin Brodeur's book and a book called "How the NHL conquered hockey" are also floating online.

Dobber Sports Genius

"Scrooge" Gary Bettman's autobiography

Currently last on NY Time's must read list.

A short read, left me wanting less.

&

"Donald Fehr wears Panties"

Just a random collection of Fehr pictures in women's panties. Most big-box stores are selling this item on sale for 57% off. On black friday you can get it for 52% off.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Stud

A must read- Future Greats and Heartbreaks by Gare Joyce-

" “One of this continent’s master craftsmen of sporting prose” (Sports Illustrated) and three-time National Magazine Award-winner Gare Joyce goes undercover to learn the secrets of NHL scouts.

Veteran sports writer Gare Joyce realizes a long-held secret ambition as he spends a full season embedded as a hockey scout. Joyce’s year on the hockey beat is a steep learning curve for him; NHL scouts spend each season gathering information on players fighting it out to break into the world of professional hockey. They watch hundreds of games, speak to scores of players, parents, team-mates and other scouts, amassing profiles on all the top contenders. It’s a form of risk assessment–is this young hopeful deserving of a multi-million dollar contract?–and it can be a tough and thankless task. Scouts are ground into the game, picking up nuances of play that even the most committed fan would miss, but they are looking at more than just how well a kid can play. And come the final draft, only a tiny percentage of their full year’s work might matter.

Examining the amount of information gathered on the under-eighteen hopefuls, the scrutiny to which they are subjected, and the differences between the rigour of American and Canadian junior teams, Joyce opens a window on the life and methods of an NHL scout and penetrates the mysterious world of scouting as no one has before. "

Released in 2007, it takes a look at many 2006 draftees. You'll recognize the names of many future NHLer's, and get a real insight into some for example Phil Kessel as Joyce gets to sit in on the pre-draft team interviews.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I've hear that "A Season In Time" by Todd Denault is a good read. It's based on looking back 20 years later at the 1992-93 NHL season.
    League Champion 2006, 2007, 2008
    12 Team, 8 keeper H2H League
    Skater Stats(4C,4LW,4RW,4D): G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,FOW
    Goalie Stats(2G): W,GA,SV,SO

C: Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Berglund
    LW: Parise, Hall, Duchene, Tanguay
    RW: Malkin, Wheeler, C. Stewart, Stempniak
    D: Doughty, Green, Phaneuf
    G: Luongo, Schneider, Ward

PSN ID: wminogue

Dobber Sports Immortal

McCown's Law: 100 Greatest Hockey Agruments.

http://www.amazon.ca/McCowns-Law-Gre.../dp/0385664656

Bob McCown is a popular radio host in Toronto. I think it came out around 2007 or so but it's still a very interesting read, even if you disagree with some of his points. He touches on every topic and always thoroughly backs up his reasoning.

Dobber Sports Giant

i remember a great one when i was a grade schooler. "mice at center ice"
    if you want one for a child.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO