Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Computer help please

The Wolverine

Default Computer help please

Something strange has been happening since last night. At home we have mobile broadband with a monthly limit and we can track the download usage regularly. Usually visiting a basic site like checking email or this site would use very little - estimating 10-20 MB per hour. However, it's shot up significantly, where it could use that amount per minute! Even by shutting down my browser it kept going up until I disconnected the broadband.

I'm at the library now with my laptop which also tracks usage and I've been on for less than ten minutes and it's already used nearly 70MB, and I've only come onto this site to post this message.

Anyone know what could be causing this? It seems something maybe is working in the background of my computer? Don't know if I should be concerned going forward, even when we get onto unlimited wireless from tomorrow night.

I'm not tech savvy so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dobber Sports Giant

I'm more a developer than a tech, but I have a feeling you might have some spywares on your computer. I had that once at home and used Ad-Aware and another software I don't recall now to remove these. There's free version of Ad-Awarw that can be downloaded.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Chicleteur View Post
    I'm more a developer than a tech, but I have a feeling you might have some spywares on your computer. I had that once at home and used Ad-Aware and another software I don't recall now to remove these. There's free version of Ad-Awarw that can be downloaded.
    Thanks. Would that affect my current Norton protection? Wouldn't Norton identify these?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I had the same suspicion as Chic - I use a free download called Malwarebytes that seemed to clean up the junk without interfering with other security that is supposed to do it.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I had the same suspicion as Chic - I use a free download called Malwarebytes that seemed to clean up the junk without interfering with other security that is supposed to do it.
    Thanks. Now to decide which one is better - a quick look and it seems both are the main players and Malwarebytes so far has the advantage.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I agree, spyware is my first thought as well. When we go to clean up any computer for a company we generally run Malwarebytes, followed by SuperAntiSpyware. Both free, and in tandem will catch a lot of stuff.

Give them a try (one at a time - usually we use Malwarebytes first) and see if it makes a difference!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Try upping the sesnsativity on your norton. i think it has some setting on the type of things it will detect... if i remember correctly you can up it to pick up malwares and spy junk.

70mb of data send doing nothing? weird.

I would be curious to see your Task Manager > Processes.

Press CTRL+ALT+DLT. Select start task manager. Go to processes tab. Sort by Memory. Take a screen shot (press ALT+PRINT SCREEN). paste it into paint or photoshop or whatever and save it.
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Dobber Sports Giant

Malwarebytes!!! That was it!

As for Norton, like Icevenom said, it really depends on your settings, so you better look at these right after the big clean up.

Administrator

Malwarebytes and Spybot have worked well for me. Install them and run FULL system scans. If they ask to reboot and run additional scans, do it (this is because it cannot uninstall bad software that is currently in your memory ie running at the moment).

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Jeez... this thread is no fun.
    9 posts and nobody is going to suggest that hf has been visiting naughty sites!!! LOL.

(I can say this because I got a computer virus myself about 8-9 years ago from going to the wrong sites!!! Seriously. I was so ashamed.)

Anyways, here is a thread on the last time I had that sort of problem. I actually had my work computer download something nasty and within in a week my computer was running super slow and eventually had to be completely reformatted. Apparently, we had an IT guy say that you can get some nasty stuff just by hovering/accidentally-clicking on the wrong banner ad.

So it's possible it was an accidental download running in your background.

Wipe it clean!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Wipe it clean!
    Which 'it' are you talking about??

Add another vote for Malwarebytes and superantispyware, they've cleared a few nasty infections for me. I particularly enjoy the ones you have to restart in safe-mode to even get Malwarebytes to run... bah.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Star

I would also check the possibility that somebody is piggy-backing your internet using your wireless information. Up the security on your ISP information; certainly change the password.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I would also check the possibility that somebody is piggy-backing your internet using your wireless information. Up the security on your ISP information; certainly change the password.

Rylant
    It's happening both at home and at the library though.

Administrator

If you get any pop-ups at any point google them to find out more. There is always a removal procedure and sometimes it extends beyond just using malware removal software.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Which 'it' are you talking about??

Add another vote for Malwarebytes and superantispyware, they've cleared a few nasty infections for me. I particularly enjoy the ones you have to restart in safe-mode to even get Malwarebytes to run... bah.

Oh no! Going nowhere good, fast!

I'd vote for the spyware eliminator as well. You could also run through your processes in Task Manager to see if you could locate it there. Or, try starting up in safe mode (F8 IIRC - Mac user here) and see if you are still getting the high bandwidth usage.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...