Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher

I...am your father.

Default Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher

Does anyone else find this ridiculous?

The Reacher novels stress his size and strength. He's 6-5, around 230.

My first thought would be using the Rock. Second thought was rough up Ryan Reynolds' look and he'd do great. He's the right age too. Cruise is 50

I'll still watch the movie, of course. But I'll have trouble getting past that I think
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's a joke... might as well cast him for Juggernaut in the next X-Men movie while we're at it

Dobber Sports Veteran

Cool

Jim Caviezel, Liam Neeson, Clive Owen come to mind.....Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher.
    Cruise was so bad in the most recent Mission Impossible.
    Hollywood is trying to put the following spin on the Cruise choice...............................
    "the size description is not a physical description it just means he is a force to reckon with"

Lee Child is a great writter and Reacher is an awesome character, I'm sure I'll see the movie.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

I...am your father.

Lee Child was probably in awe to have a movie and flattered to have Cruise take the role. But he should have/could have held his ground and insisted on a more fitting actor.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    It's a joke... might as well cast him for Juggernaut in the next X-Men movie while we're at it
    Ok, that mental image is the highlight of my night! Too funny.

Casting is usually my biggest issue with film adaptations from books (stupid plot changes aside). Alan Rickman, for example, was a brilliant choice in the Harry Potter films. They got the right guy. Tom Cruise at this point can't be cast as anything but Tom Cruise, and that isn't a good thing in most cases.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Genius

Tom Cruise is a pip squeak, no self respecting villain would be taken to task by that spazoid
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Guru

Here's the official trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK7y8Ou0VvM

I agree with everyone above. Tom Cruise would have been one of the last guys I would have guessed to be Jack Reacher. But, if I'm Lee Child, and someone told me that Tom Cruise wants to be in the movie, I'd say yes in a heartbeat. The guy makes money at the movies. I'd rather take my chances with Cruise than a Ryan Reynolds (who can't carry a movie on his own).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Here's the official trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK7y8Ou0VvM

I agree with everyone above. Tom Cruise would have been one of the last guys I would have guessed to be Jack Reacher. But, if I'm Lee Child, and someone told me that Tom Cruise wants to be in the movie, I'd say yes in a heartbeat. The guy makes money at the movies. I'd rather take my chances with Cruise than a Ryan Reynolds (who can't carry a movie on his own).
    You say this as if Tom Cruise is some wonderful actor... nobody respects that dude anymore. His movies are trash and his character portrayal is some of the lamest in Hollywood. Ryan Reynolds sells more movie tickets than Tom Cruise now.

This is ruining one of the best characters in fiction-- there's an important point that is being overlooked on why this is such a bad choice. Tons of people haven't read the Reacher novels. When they do, their mental projection of Jack Reacher is going to be the character that Tom Cruise plays. Just like when people watched Game of Thrones before they read it, they see the actors as those characters (granted that show has great casting).

But, this has the potential to ruin the character from a literary standpoint. The reason those books are so good is because Reacher is such an interesting and unique guy is such a rough, primitive way. Tom Cruise cannot capture that no matter how hard he tries. I don't want to read a Reacher novel and see Tom Cruise's squirrelly little smirks and stupid sunglasses and leather jackets.

There's no way Lee Child isn't upset. But, it's not like he had a choice in the matter. Once you sell the rights to your novel to a production company, they can do what they please. I doubt there are many stipulations in the contract that give Lee Child any control whatsoever. Even Stephen King despised The Shining, and that's arguably the best horror film ever made.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Ok, that mental image is the highlight of my night! Too funny.

Casting is usually my biggest issue with film adaptations from books (stupid plot changes aside). Alan Rickman, for example, was a brilliant choice in the Harry Potter films. They got the right guy. Tom Cruise at this point can't be cast as anything but Tom Cruise, and that isn't a good thing in most cases.
    I thought the casting in the HP movies was fantastic all around. Except for Cho Chang...I thought she'd be hotter. Best....Snape...Ever.

Count me as one of those that hasn't read any of the Jack Reacher novels. From the sounds of it, I really should. But I definitely agree with rtstr that now whenever I read it I'm gonna picture Tom Cruise lol.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    You say this as if Tom Cruise is some wonderful actor... nobody respects that dude anymore. His movies are trash and his character portrayal is some of the lamest in Hollywood. Ryan Reynolds sells more movie tickets than Tom Cruise now.
    I don't know. MI4 made almost $700 million worldwide. Knight and Day made $250 million. Valkyrie made $200 million. MI3 made almost $400 million. War of the Worlds made almost $600 million. Rock of Ages and Lions for Lambs did pretty horribly.

That's five-for-seven of his last seven flicks he made (I didn't include Tropic Thunder because it wasn't really a star vehicle for Cruise). Throw in the hoopla for a MI5, a Top Gun 2 and the fact this is his first big movie since his split from Katie Holmes, and you'll have a lot of people still interested in what he can do.

As for Reynolds, Bill Simmons said it best in this column (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...e-movie-star): "When Green Lantern badly underperformed last weekend, it shouldn't have been surprising, because Reynolds isn't a movie star (despite Hollywood's best efforts to convince us otherwise). You know how I know this? We just spent the past 10 years compiling evidence that said, emphatically, "Ryan Reynolds can't carry a bad movie." Or, really, any movie."

Simmons actually details Reynolds career, and shows how Reynolds really isn't a box office movie star.

I agree that there's no way that Cruise should be Reacher, and wouldn't even be on my top 100 list. But if I was Lee Child, I'd be over the moon that Cruise in the movie. He's the best chance of making a lot of money, having sequels and really creating a franchise. The audience will be larger than if someone else starred in the movie (which means more books sold).
    Y

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Giant

If I had to pick an actor based on Reacher's size, I would have taken Jason Momoa. Cruise is too small for the this and he is not bad-ass enough. A younger Mickey Rourke or even Stalone would be better suited for the part.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Administrator

Rock may be big and badass but I think he has taken his medical approach to getting big a bit too far...

This was his halloween costume. He looks like the actual Incredible Hulk...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

I...am your father.

I've thought about it further, I think the Rock would work. Sure he's bigger, and darker, but size is an asset, and skin color doesn't really play a role here.

I think the book should be enough to make the movie a success. Don't need Cruise. But the trailer looked good.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    If I had to pick an actor based on Reacher's size, I would have taken Jason Momoa. Cruise is too small for the this and he is not bad-ass enough. A younger Mickey Rourke or even Stalone would be better suited for the part.
    Stallone is 5'9"...
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    You say this as if Tom Cruise is some wonderful actor... nobody respects that dude anymore. His movies are trash and his character portrayal is some of the lamest in Hollywood.
    I'm not a huge fan of Cruise myself, but you are just plain wrong.

Cruise is a fantastic actor and unlike many others in hollywood he is incredibly versatile in terms of different kinds of roles he can pull off.

But don't take my word for it... his track record at the box office speaks for itself.