Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the good beer makers?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Where are the good beer makers?

Change of pace to the other thread: who's brewing and what has them excited? Share a recipe, or just talk shop!

Dobber Sports Guru

Kinda sad this thread hasn't taken off. I don't brew personally, but have lots of friends that do. I was kinda hoping to share some recipes from some brewmasters with them.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Star

I'm sad too... now that I've got a batch fermenting I'm trying to figure out what to brew up next and have yet to be inspired.

The as-yet-unnamed IPA brewed on the weekend looked like this:

10 lb pale extract
    0.5 lb munich 10L
    0.5 lb crystal 60L

1.5 oz Zeus @ 60
    1 oz Cascade (fresh) @ 15
    1 oz Simcoe @ 0, carried over into primary
    1 oz Williamette @ 0, carried over into primary

Primary should be 3-6 days, followed by a solid two weeks in the secondary. I'll be adding a dry hop of 1 oz Centennial and 1 oz Cascade with the secondary; I'm tossing around the idea of steeping it to get a bit more of the flavour extracted than dry hopping typically does.

OG = 1.064
    Est FG = 1.015
    Est ABV = 6.3%

The hope is that it's going to be dry but not palette-destroying, have solid depth of various hop flavours, and not be too high in alcohol. I'm weary of one-note, high alcohol hopbombs and want to find some balance.

Anybody else got any recent successes/recipes to share?
    Last edited by fantasyhockeygeek; November 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Homebrewers Unite!

Hi beer nerds, I'm hoping this thread can turn into a Dobber resource for good beer recipes and/or brewing knowledge and/or brewing stories.

This is my most recent brewing story, originally posted in the good beer thread. Nothing seemed to go right that day.

-

Tried my first brew with specialty grains on the weekend. Got all my ingredients portioned out and ready to go. I sanitized all my equipment and started to heat up some water. Put the grains in my bag and it ripped a hole in the side. Granted the bag was probably to small. The wife sewed it shut for me and i continued. After steeping the grains, I got the water to a boil, did not my hop additions, etc, etc... I was using yeast nutrient for the first time. I had no idea how much to add and didn't research it before it was time to add. I asked the wife to measure out the right amount by reading the instructions on the pack. She informed me it was wine nutrient. I said that was ok, the guy at the LHBS picked the stuff out so it must be the right kind. She measured out 25g for a 5.5 gallon batch as per the instructions.

So, with that measured out and waiting to be added, I'm pouring the wort in. Its really hot and I splash myself, then spill a bit on the floor. No biggie. I throw in the yeast nutrient and then throw in the yeast. Now I just have to measure the temp..... AAAAARGHHH! Why did I add the yeast before cooling it?!?! Quickly go to set up an icebath, but there is no ice. Quick drive to the shop for ice and by the time I get back, there is a HUGE amount of sediment on the bottom of the fermenter. I mean huge, it cant be from the grains or hops, b/c its way to much. Anyways, I can't deal with that righ tnow as I have to cool this as quickly as possible to help the yeast. Measure the temp and its 34 degrees. Not too bad and certainly not hot enough to kill the yeast.

It takes me about an hour to get it down to the right temp. The sink is waist high and I'm pulling the fermenter out of the ice bath and placing it on the floor. Its heavy... On the way down, the spigot get caught in a clothes basket and falls to the floor. Wort is going everywhere. I'm pretty sure I let out an involuntary girl scream. I grabbed the spigot as quickly as I could and managed to screw it back in. I lost about 400ml on the floor. So I can now check to see what the deal is with this yeast nutrient as I cannot believe how much sediment there is on the bottom of the fermenter. Turns out that a teaspoon or even half a teaspoon would have been enough. We added what looked to be about 5 tablespoons. DOH! It wont spoil the brew, but it is going to leave a bunch of shit at the bottom of the fermenter. I have been bottling stright outta my primary fermenter so this now poses a problem. Might have to siphon to a bottling bucket for the first time.

Enjoy...

Dobber Sports Star

Hey AW, looks like you and I had the same good idea within a couple days.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=140570

Moderators, can you merge the two threads?

Dobber Sports Master

Could the mods please merge this thread and this one http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=140646

Dobber Sports Master

I just brewed a 8Wired Hopwired IPA clone. Used specialty grains for the first time and found it to be a delightful addition to the brew day. I will be repeating on the next brew. Also on the next brew I will try a partial mash. I dont have all the equipment for an AG recipe, but I think I could easily some BIAB methods on a small scale. I believe this will improve my beer a lot.

I also just used some paint strainers for the first time in the dry hop. The holes were too big in the bags I was using. It didn't filter as well as I wanted. The paint strainer bags look like just the thing tho.

Dobber Sports Star

And you didn't post the recipe, AW? Boooooo!

Specialty grains make such a huge difference over just extract, eh? The flavor you get is so much cleaner... without doing something like that you can end up with some stale flavor from the extract, unless the place you're buying extract is turning it over daily!

Any other brews caught your eye lately? I'm not sure what's next on the docket.

Dobber Sports Master

Whoops! My bad...

8Wired Hopwired IPA Clone:

All the fermentables and hops are completely NZ product. Specialty grains are imported.

10oz Weyermann 's Light Munich
    5oz American Crystal 20L
    5oz Muntons Caramalt
    steeped @ 155 for 30 mins
    batch sparged @ 165 for 20 mins

14g Pacific Jade @ 60
    14g Pacific Jade @ 20
    28g Motueka @ 10
    28g Nelson Sauvin @ 10
    10lbs of Black Rock Light LME (NZ) mixed in at flameout
    28g Wai-iti @ flame out (hold for 30 mins)
    14g Nelson Sauvin @ flame out (hold for 30 mins)
    14g Motueka @ flame out (hold for 30 mins)
    40g Nelson Sauvin dry hop for 10 days
    40g Motueka dry hop for 10 days.

It fermented for a week, then I added the dry hop yesterday. I'll pull the hops out in 9 days and then let it sit until the weekend after that.
    Total time in the primary will be 3 weeks.

21 litres (give or take as a bunch was spilled on the floor during the spigot clothes basket incident...)
    OG 1.065
    Estimated FG: 1.016
    92 IBU
    6.5% ABV
    Nottingham yeast

I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL THIS IS READY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Atomic Wedgy; November 25, 2012 at 6:35 PM.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    The hope is that it's going to be dry but not palette-destroying, have solid depth of various hop flavours, and not be too high in alcohol. I'm weary of one-note, high alcohol hopbombs and want to find some balance.
    Maybe a small amount of chocolate malt? 2oz? It would give it a bit of depth hopefully without darkening it too much.

Dobber Sports Master

And you didn't post the recipe, AW? Boooooo!
    Fixed...

Specialty grains make such a huge difference over just extract, eh?
    Its my first foray into the specialty grains world. I haven't yet bottled the brew, so the wait is KILLING me.

Dobber Sports Star

I've just kinda got back into brewing after a many-year hiatus, and getting into specialty grains and partial mash makes such a difference in the flavour of your beer. I think the big two benefits are that it tastes a whole lot fresher than malt extract (even if it's just a portion of the recipe), and that it gives you so much more control over the malt profile of the beer you're making.

Man, I'm really surprised by that hopwired recipe -- putting all the malt extract in at the end will give it a really strong malt character. I guess that's the point though, huh. Interesting to see all the NZ hops in there. I haven't seen a bottle of the real stuff at my local store yet, but I'll keep an eye open. The regional differences would be really interesting!

The crystal 60 in my IPA should give it a nice colour. The intent was that the munich 10 could add some fresh base-type malt, and the crystal 60 would add some depth and character. More than anything, keeping the ABV lower (most hoptastic IPAs sit in the 7+ range) should keep it in check. I think I've changed my mind on the hop bill too -- I'm going to add some Northern Brewer, which has an earthier taste than northwest hops, to fill out the hop bill. In the end it'll be:

Zeus (aka Columbus) for bittering.
    Cascade for flavour
    Simcoe for aroma (at 0)
    Williamette for aroma (at 0)
    Northern Brewer for aroma/flavour (gonna make hop tea and add to secondary)
    Cascade for aroma (dry hop in secondary)

Should give it a solid depth of hop profile to offset the malt. I'm a fan of a broader hop profile than just the focused citrus/pine that's typical here in the northwest, but we'll see how this turns out. Hopefully the Northern Brewer hops don't make it too earthy.

Let me know how that brew of yours tastes when it makes it out of the bottle -- sounds like an interesting recipe.

I think next on the docket for me will be a simple blonde ale, partial mash with some vienna malt, hopped with Centennial (if I can find some - local shortage) for bittering and cascada for flavour. About an ounce of hops total in the whole batch will seem like nothing compared to the last few brews I've made, but hey -- gotta have a "crowdpleaser" on standby for the non-beer-geek drinkers.

Dobber Sports Master

I didn't know that about the late LME addition. Everything I've read is that boiling it longer will carmelize it more, which is partly why I did it that way. But... with 140 grams of hops going in the brew, with another 80 in dry hop, I'm hoping for a balanced beer.

I'll certainly let you know how it tastes. Bottle in two weeks time, I'll try the first one somewhere around Xmas day. That will be the I cannot wait any longer, I think its carbed tasting...

Dobber Sports Pro

A couple of years ago, I got into making my own brew. I was only using kits so I didn't delve into recipes. I really should get into it again. Any advice on brewing with recipes as opposed to kits?
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Master

BTW... I'm just about to try and convert a 10 gallon Igloo cooler into a mash tun. The cheapest I can find after a couple of night searching was $99.00 delivered. I tried searching for a used cooler, but didn't find anything suitable for less. It appears that i will be going AG sometime in the next couple months.