Thread: Scheifele: trade advice

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Scheifele: trade advice

Wow, I have a trade offer:

St-Louis vs Scheifele and a draft pick for next year.

I don't really care about St-Louis because I don't really need him in order to win. I have a really strong team. I also don't care about Scheifele's production for the next couple of years. But I also think that St-Louis has a great value and I am wondering if I can have more value than this prospect.

The draft pick should be good, but in order for me to execute that trade, I need to be sure that Scheifele will be as good as some people think he will be.

The league is points-only and it doesn't matter to me if Scheifele takes 5 years to reach his potential. I just wanna be sure that his potential is 70+ and that he will likely reach it...

The opinions on this guy vary and I am not sure if I should do this.....

Thanks for taking the time.....

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I guess where you think the pick will be will have a lot to do with whether or not this deal works.

I like Scheifele. He was a man in the Subway series and just about forced Winnipeg to keep him past nine games last year. Once he gains some lbs/strength I think that his mind and skillset will definitely allow him to reach 70 pt potential. Winnipeg will offer him every opportunity to succeed as their #1 center, so as far as gamble's go, I like the acquisition.

Like I said initially though, the pick is the make or break piece for me.
    28 team, pts only, Keep 9 (or 10 if you miss playoffs)

Start 9 fwd, 4D, 1G

F: [B] Kuznetsov, Konecny, Hall, Crosby, Kreider, Couturier, Lindholm, Bergeron, Schmaltz
    D: [B] Hedman, *Girard, Jones, Petry, Doughty
    G: [B] Vasilevskiy

Farm
    Heponiemi, Comtois, Kayumov, Krebs, Abramov, Khovanov, Shalagin, Dineen,

Dobber Sports Sophomore

When you say " draft pick should be good" what does this mean? Meaning, how many teams are in this league?

Dobber Sports Stud

I like Scheifele quite a bit but I'd say his absolute upside is probably about 70, let alone being a virtual lock to put up those kind of numbers at the end of the day. I would expect a 50-60 point player and hope for a bit more.

Unless the draft pick is quite a high one I think you should be able to get more for Marty.

Dobber Sports Ace

What's the rest of your roster?

Too me it seems slightly far sighted to say you don't care about MSLs production now, and you can wait 5 years for Scheifle to produce.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Sophomore

St. Louis, while still very productive, is 37-years old and a decline in production can't be far off. If you don't need him to win right now and the pick could produce another good prospect, it's a no-brainer to me.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Is this an offense only league? Scheif has more value in mult-cats since he's a big guy, while Marty is better when only points count. In a multi cat, it's a decent idea if you're getting a top 15 pick back.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Apprentice

1. I'm not counting on MSL because I am really deep in this one. I can put Iginla into his spot.

2. It's a points-only league.

3. The draft pick should get me a good prospect, but not a great one.

For all these reasons, I was thinking that for me to move MSL in that deal, Scheifele would have to be a future star. If I'm not sure about that, I will wait on that. Some people see him as a future stud while others see him as a 50-55 guy........

Dobber Sports Stud

I personally would never do this trade. MSL is gonna be playing with a better TB team. He isn't ready to be sent off to the pasture. And if you want a younger player, I think MSL should carry enough trade value to get a young prospect with NHL experience.

Even with a draft pick, I wouldn't take it.

Administrator

If you don't *need* the player then it's a smart move to get something for him before he retires. But I think you can do better than this offer.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Good posts just above me. While I own and like Scheif, I'd personally demand a bit more. Now, don't refuse to trade for him anyone beside Yakupov but find a good middle ground.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for taking the time, guys! I received a new offer yesterday... The guy has offered Scheifele and 2 second-round picks...

I came back with Tarasenko, a first-round pick in 2014 and a second-round pick in 2013 (that should be the first of the second-round)...

Waiting....

Dobber Sports Ace

It would really help to list your whole roster.

Last 3 seasons

MSL 268 pts
    Iggy 222

Did you win last year?
    Semi-retired