Thread: Keep 3, need advice.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Keep 3, need advice.

Hey everyone longtime dobber reader first time poster.

I'm in 14 team league, keep 3, h2h league. We count goals, assists, +/-, ppp, sog, FOW, hits and blocked shots. We ice 2 centres, 2 lw, and 2 rw. Finished our draft about 2 weeks ago and I've been racking my brain on who to keep since I've come to the conclusion that its unlikely there will be a season this year.

I'm debating between Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Zach Parise, Eric Staal and Nail Yakupov. I know I know, proven before potential. I won last season and I run my teams with an eye towards the future while being a competitor in the current season. Always been that way so please keep that in mind. Giroux is already one of my keepers so I need to pick 2 of those 4.

Trading is a possibility. I originally wanted to keep Giroux, Parise and Yakupov, but keep mulling between all 4 trying to come to the best decision as possible. I'm hoping for some much needed insights and opinions. Much appreciated!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Does Giroux have RW eligibility? I'd say you definitely don't want to keep 2 C, so that's kind of important. I'd try trading Yakupov and RNH (their trade values are probably the most inflated right now) and keeping Giroux, Parise, Staal (RW-LW-C).

Dobber Sports Immortal

Welcome to the boards

Quote Originally Posted by maya has the knife View Post
    Does Giroux have RW eligibility? I'd say you definitely don't want to keep 2 C, so that's kind of important. I'd try trading Yakupov and RNH (their trade values are probably the most inflated right now) and keeping Giroux, Parise, Staal (RW-LW-C).
    I do like what was said above because you have such limited starters. maybe try and see if you can package Yakupov with someone for another elite player like Malkin.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I don't think I'd be able to get Malkin from his owner, actually I'm sure of it since he's such a devout penguins' fan.

Originally my plan was to go with Giroux, Parise and E. Staal, but Yakupov is so enticing that I'd be more than willing to not keep E. Staal lol maybe I'm crazy o.o

How much of a loss would it be to keep Yakupov over Staal over the course of say, 3 years?

*oh and Giroux does have rw eligibility ATM

Dobber Sports Expert

I'm a big fan of proven vs. potential...

With Parise and Staal you essentially know what you're going to get with them. Yak and RNH you don't... Also Parise and Staal are still young enough that by the time Yak and RNH get into optimal fantasy production, Parise and Staal will still be productive. It's not like you're keeping 36-year olds...

For all you know RNH might regress and his value might not be as high as it is now and next season you could get him even cheaper. Yakupov might end up as a bust, who knows? With Parise and Staal you know what you're going to get and it's still high quality, there's much more security keeping them than prospects who may not pan out.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Wizard

I, too, prefer proven over potential. With that said, i'd definitely move RNH. He and Yak havethe hype, so you should be able to capitalize there. If you can't find a worthy partner, I'd go with Parise and Yak to sure up your wingers, incase Giroux loses his W eligibility. Staal would be my last keeper over RNH. He has too much grit to his game not to keep. He and Parise, when not scoring goals, will add to your other cats. Even Giroux can be chippy. Yak has a better frame than RNH, so he'll likely contribute more elsewhere.
    IMO, last thing you want to do is have Giroux end up being a Center and you let Yak or Parise go while keeping RNH. You would have too many Cs. Even if Giroux was a winger only, i'd rather have more wingers than a C. If this ends up being the case, I guarantee someone would seek you out in a trade for a winger.

Giroux
    Parise
    Staal
    Yak
    Last edited by One87; November 15, 2012 at 4:47 AM.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    I, too, prefer proven over potential. With that said, i'd definitely move RNH. He and Yak havethe hype, so you should be able to capitalize there. If you can't find a worthy partner, I'd go with Parise and Yak to sure up your wingers, incase Giroux loses his W eligibility. Staal would be my last keeper over RNH. He has too much grit to his game not to keep. He and Parise, when not scoring goals, will add to your other cats. Even Giroux can be chippy. Yak has a better frame than RNH, so he'll likely contribute more elsewhere.
    IMO, last thing you want to do is have Giroux end up being a Center and you let Yak or Parise go while keeping RNH. You would have too many Cs. Even if Giroux was a winger only, i'd rather have more wingers than a C. If this ends up being the case, I guarantee someone would seek you out in a trade for a winger.

Giroux
    Parise
    Staal
    Yak
    First off, welcome to the boards, Vann!

Secondly, One87 gives a terrific explanation here and I totally agree with him.

Best of luck.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I actually think Staal is your most valuable keeper closely followed by Giroux then some distance to Parise.

If you can package Parise with either RHN or Yak to get Ovechkin, I think I would do it based on your league cats.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

For me...
    1. Giroux (C/RW)
    2. Parise (LW)
    3. Yakupov (RW)

In keeper leagues, Giroux should be a C.
    The fantasy hockey sites are still awarding him RW-eligibility but he hasn't played there in either of the last two years.

So... long-term, you have to start thinking about positions if you only roster 2C.
    1. You obviously shouldn't keep three centers... so Giroux-E.Staal-RNH is not an option.
    That essentially cuts RNH.
    2. While I like Eric Staal, Eric Staal might be the 9th/10th best center in the NHL. It's the deepest (most redraftable) position in fantasy hockey. I think Yakupov could be a top 5 RWer.

Anyways, I'm assuming you have until next year to designate keepers... but if Yakupov is all he's cracked up to be (and, since this is a no PIM pool), I'm really thinking the difference between Yakupov to a redraftable RW will be a bigger relative difference than E.Staal to a redraftable C. Relative difference is key in fantasy hockey.

Giroux (C), Parise (LW), Yakupov (RW)... for me, in this format.

[ps. DO hold Eric Staal... there is a chance he slides to wing on Carolina's top line if his brother Jordan takes the center position. If this happens, it's good & bad. Good because Eric Staal as a winger is more valuable than Eric Staal as a center. Bad because if Eric Staal becomes a winger, he's not taking faceoffs... and you can't have a center who doesn't rake big FOW.]
    Last edited by Pengwin7; November 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Maaaasquito View Post
    I'm a big fan of proven vs. potential...

With Parise and Staal you essentially know what you're going to get with them. Yak and RNH you don't... Also Parise and Staal are still young enough that by the time Yak and RNH get into optimal fantasy production, Parise and Staal will still be productive. It's not like you're keeping 36-year olds...

For all you know RNH might regress and his value might not be as high as it is now and next season you could get him even cheaper. Yakupov might end up as a bust, who knows? With Parise and Staal you know what you're going to get and it's still high quality, there's much more security keeping them than prospects who may not pan out.
    agree. these guys are not old and you know what your getting.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Genius

Giroux
    Staal
    Parise
    Yakapov
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Rookie

First of all thank you for all your responses thus far it has given me a better perspective! Much appreciated.

What one87 and pengwin say resonate with my philosophy well, in Yakupov I'd have an eye towards the future. While I feel the drop between Staal and Yakupov production wise is significant I don't think it's enough to stop me from competing while at the same time locking up a lw, rw and c for the foreseeable future. Not keeping RNH makes sense, I'll see out a trade and see if anyone is interested, I know a few teams are looking for young up and coming studs.

I do have one question, regarding shoeless' comment, why is Staal more valuable than Parise? I thought it would be the other way around. While Staal beat him slightly last season in hits, it should be moot since Parise missed some games, in terms of sog, I thought Parise would have an edge there, ditto +/-, and while Parise's ppp totals aren't impressive, playing with a ppp wizard like Koivu I think that will improve. I'm also under the assumption E. Staal will lose his FOW as he moves to winger to accommodate his brother though I know this move may not be permanent. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Vann; November 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM. Reason: Typo

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post

Giroux
    Parise
    Staal
    Yak
    I totally agree with him as welll
    Roster Requirements
    (2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 3 F, 4 D, 2 G)Totals:25 15 Starters, 10Bench, +4 IR - Head To Head - Weekly Lineups - Stats: PTS ONLY- 1PT/START(G) 2PTS/WIN - 5PTS/SHUTOUT
    Record: 17-7-0 (2015-16 Champ)

C: Seguin, Giroux
    LW: T.Hall, Panarin
    RW: P. Kane, Palmieri
    F: Galchenyuk, Domi, Landeskog
    D: Subban, Ekman-Larrson, Suter, Vatanen

Bench: T.Hertl, V.Nishushkin, Gallagher, Pulkkinen, Mike Reilly, Korpisalo
    Goalies: J.Allen, Lundqvist

Farm Team: Rantanen(RW) Barzal(C) Provorov(D) Nurse(D) Kylington(D)

Follow Me https://twitter.com/#!/MRHOCKEYLOVER87