Thread: Do I need to upgrade my goalies ?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Do I need to upgrade my goalies ?

In a 16 teams Dynasty league, supposed to start this season.

Stat Categories
    G A +- PPP SHP FW SOG HITS BLKS
    W GAA SV% SHO

I ended up with these goalies (minimum 3 goalie starts a week):

Main roster :
    Cam Ward
    Michal Neuvirth
    Kevin Poulin

Prospects:
    Viktor Fasth
    Mark Visentin
    Christopher Nihlstorp
    Anders Nilsson

I hope to be a contender but I am not sure about my goalies are gonna live up to that.

Do I need to try to get an upgrade or am I ok ?

I was offered James Reimer for Viktor Fast + David Clarkson, Would that help me or should I just stay away from the Toronto goalie situation (As for now I decided to stay away)

Thanks
    Last edited by rookien; November 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM.

Dobber Sports Deity

Just to be clear, you dont need to start 2 goalies but you require at least 2 goalie starts each week? Is that correct?

If thats the case, I think you are sitting fine in a 16 team league. Ward will get lots of work and having Neuvy as a 2nd goalie should suit ya fine. He could very well end up sharing the net with Holtby, or even better, taking the lead there for the Caps.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Yes its 3 goalie starts a week.

edit : Looked in the rules its 3 starts instead of 2 as i wrote at first.
    Last edited by rookien; November 14, 2012 at 8:12 AM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Personally I think Ward and Neuvirth are good enough duo for a 16 team league. Reimer doesn't upgrade that IMO. If you were to improve on Neuvirth with that type of deal I could understand.

But if it were me I'd either stand pat or attempt to acquire Holtby.
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Brutal rule in a 16 team league to require 3 goalie starts a week. Only with 2 starters would you feel safe in making that number every week. However, Ward as mentioned by Axeman is a workhorse and as long as Dipietro is out of the picture, your goalies should give you the required number of starts a week in all but the most unusual weeks of the schedule so I wouldn't invest heavily to get another tender. Fasth is a good backup to own so I wouldn't make the move on Reimer.

Is Justin Peters available by any chance? - he won't start a lot but he would give you all the Canes starts for sure.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by golfguy1672 View Post
    Personally I think Ward and Neuvirth are good enough duo for a 16 team league. Reimer doesn't upgrade that IMO. If you were to improve on Neuvirth with that type of deal I could understand.

But if it were me I'd either stand pat or attempt to acquire Holtby.
    Ya I agree with this statement. If you want to acquire another goalie, try handcuffing either Ward or Neuvirth. Acquiring Holtby will be more expensive then Carolinas backup (whoever that will be... Boucher? Peters?) Short of that, I would stand pat.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

One comfort to take is that you own Anaheim's backup goalie as Anaheim is always known for having the best scheduling and least conflicts. Whether or not Fasth actually sees those games on those off nights is still to be seen but at least the prospect is there, as you're currently going to be relying on Ward + three timeshare goalies to fill three starts a week.

I wouldn't trade Clarkson and Fasth for Reimer. Not the kind of goalie I'd want to target IMO.

What about targeting Nabokov instead.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Brutal rule in a 16 team league to require 3 goalie starts a week. Only with 2 starters would you feel safe in making that number every week. However, Ward as mentioned by Axeman is a workhorse and as long as Dipietro is out of the picture, your goalies should give you the required number of starts a week in all but the most unusual weeks of the schedule so I wouldn't invest heavily to get another tender. Fasth is a good backup to own so I wouldn't make the move on Reimer.

Is Justin Peters available by any chance? - he won't start a lot but he would give you all the Canes starts for sure.
    This was my line of thinking. If Peters is available grab him so you can ensure you'll have your 3 starts each week. Or if you'd like to the trade route, Holtby might be able to had a reasonable price and then you have both Wash goalies.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    One comfort to take is that you own Anaheim's backup goalie as Anaheim is always known for having the best scheduling and least conflicts. Whether or not Fasth actually sees those games on those off nights is still to be seen but at least the prospect is there, as you're currently going to be relying on Ward + three timeshare goalies to fill three starts a week.

I wouldn't trade Clarkson and Fasth for Reimer. Not the kind of goalie I'd want to target IMO.

What about targeting Nabokov instead.
    Yeah, Fasth is a good prospect to have - not sold on Reimer in the least. it could be easily Loungo, Scrivens then Reimer on the depth chart sooner than later.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I agree with others, the 3 starts per week is a lot in a 16-team league.
    There will be weeks where the Canes play twice, or play three times and Ward only starts two. If the CAPS are riding Holtby, you could be screwed.

I would consider grabbing the Carolina back-up as insurance.
    He should be available for cheap.

Thanks for the response guys..

Braden Holtby : He was picked in the 2nd round as 31st overall(to early I think) and he is the teams only goalie besides Vokoun(He will be challenged to get his starts as it looks now). I think he will be to expensive to try and get.

Justin Peters : He is in the minors on a team deep in goalies. I think I will attempt to talk to the owner for a possible trade.

Evgeni Nabokov : He is owned by a good freind and I dont think we will be able to agree to what is a fair price for him.

Now we talked about my chances to get the 3 starts, what do you think my chances to actually winn some goalie stats are ?