Thread: markstrom

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default markstrom

anyone troubled by his off start to the year? top that with Morris career season thus far, does that make you worry about markstrom being fully prepped for nhl time next season? I own him and am uneasy with how he hasnt quite rebounded, i know he had a decent game last week i think, but then he lost to the marlies on 30/34 shooting.. not sure the exact sv% but it cant be that great at all.

on a side note i'm actually dealing markstrom atm, but its a trade that has been close to being done for months, we have even agreed to terms before and just no one posted it. However i revived the talks the other day due to this poor start. Given how unpredictable goalies can be at a young age, look at how amazing mason was years ago AT the nhl level, or how highly hyped pavelec's upside is and he's still yet to show it, or even bernier's pedigree and still no starting job years after being a lock for certain to be a stud. Sure every case has its own unique quirks but i like the value im getting for markstrom and the fact he's not doing well makes it easier i think to pull the trigger, if he came out hot i think i still would have done the deal eventually, but maybe asked for more coming back. At least im still getting equivalent value, i think i upgraded a pick on my side a bit to get it done, but a small upgrade.

Been trying to look for any insight on the net about markstrom's struggles but havent found anything really. Figured i can't be the only owner wondering what's up with him though.
    12 team h2h keep 5 + 1 goalie
    *2012-2013 & 2013-2014 Champ
    G A PIM +/- hits SOG PPP
    c-Tavares, Mackinnon Eichel
    rw-Seguin, Tarasenko
    d-Josi
    g-Schneider

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don't know why he's struggling but I'm not surprised, always seemed overhyped to me. He's also had 2 knee injuries, I just don't trust him long term.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Markstrom was never strong in that Marlies game, but he made all the needed stops early uncomfortably... Eventually the world caved in and finnished the game allowing 3 poor goals and 1 that wasnt his fault... I was watching closely and discussing With Justin Goldman

Justin's opinion is that he will rebound second half.

Last season it took him 7 games to take off, after which he was one of the best goalies in the AHL going 15-8 to finnish the year and a barely 2 GAA, .935+ SV%

2 Years ago it took him 18 games to get it togather, But again took off with a 2.40 GAA and almost .930 SV %

Looking at this track record I must agree... looking at these slow starts reminds me of Antti Niemi...

The big question is why Markstrom starts slow? My closest guess is disinterest of not being in the NHL to start a season after being hyped to have instant sucess...

When Markstrom finally appears, he seems to be everything he was hyped to be... The talent is there...

My advice is to stay pacient and either wait for his shot and see how he responds... or wait until his numbers jump up again then deal him for top value...

Personally if I had him, I'd hold him... He has a large amount of talent, same with Bernier and Pavelec you mentioned... Most stuggles a goalie receives is based on surroundings more than them not living up to hype.... (Bernier - Probebly could have done the same as Quick given the oppertunity, Pavelec - Winnipeg/Atlanta have has floundering teams, yet when he plays you notice how much he keeps them in games same as Lehtonen did in Atlanta for years)...

Morris is playing extreamly strong and has a good history, but I personally don't see much in him being more than a good minor pro goalie... He has been around the block for 8 years after leaving NCAA and is almost 31 years old... its unlikely that he pulls a Tim Thomas and knocks off Markstrom...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

great was hoping for some insight from Mr. Goldman, even if it is via second hand lol.

thanks for the history, never thought to look up his trends, just always figured he was fairly consistent start to finish. especially if he posted the numbers he did for season totals.

I still moved him because i got yakupov in return, and its a keep 7, rask is my number 1, 20 team h2h, yakupov is farm eligible (100gm) and markstrom would eat a keeper slot. Trying to deal for lehner as replacement, owner seems to not care much for him, just he hasn't been online much during the lockout so its hard to get any consistent talks going.

Also wanted to hold him badly in that particular league but previously yakupov fetched lehtonen in that league in the deal prior, and i had the 1st pick to begin with which i sent with seguin for tavares, i then flipped 2 1st rd picks for seguin, and then acquired yakupov back tn, i also managed to snag OV via trade, drafted rask + pietrangelo as well very productive off-season for sure. Just found it ironic how i started with the 1st overall pick (prospect) and along the way it turned into tavares and i still kept seguin and the 1st to boot down the line following some high way robberies.

Great to hear though that his struggles are not unlike his previous campaign starts. Reminds me of lehner last year, he played horrible before the bishop trade and then he just snapped out of it. He even got called up and performed great, much better then bishop i felt. I own him in another league and he was recently acquired in the summer, needless to say I am pleased with his ahl season thus far.

I never thought morris would threaten him long term, but this season could be a long one for him if this becomes an halak/elliott scenario. which would reduce markstrom's starts, possibly not allowing him to play as much as florida would have ideally liked. Also maybe if he's one of those goalies who thrives on starts consistently to get going, then maybe he doesnt get on track well at all enough to salvage some decent stats. All of those are big what if's just looking at different scenario's.
    Last edited by Kwazzie; November 12, 2012 at 5:06 AM.
    12 team h2h keep 5 + 1 goalie
    *2012-2013 & 2013-2014 Champ
    G A PIM +/- hits SOG PPP
    c-Tavares, Mackinnon Eichel
    rw-Seguin, Tarasenko
    d-Josi
    g-Schneider

Dobber Sports Novice

Another itchy Markstrom owner here

I'm looking for some input from anyone who actually watch him play. Looking purely at stats and comparing Morris and Markstrom, the difference is brutal. I was looking for anything from Mr. Goldman, but I see he moved to McKeen's and all updates on goalieguild site stopped...

Dobber Sports Stud

I too was worried (I am every year), especially with things compounded by Morris's hot start.

I remind myself that I go through this every year that I've had Markstrom and by the end of the year his stats are respectable.

P.S. Morris s#*t the bed last night with 7 goals on 30 shots.
    Last edited by TeamRamrod; November 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM.
    F-Crosby,Jarvis,Wheeler,Horvat,Mittlestadt,Landeskog ,
    Cooley,Newhook,JT.Miller,Vrana,Bjorkstrand,Connor,
    Greenway, Aho

D-Carlson,Hedman,Pulock,Pionk,
    Klingberg,Addisson,Forsling,Korchinski

G-Hellebuyck,Kotchetkov,Oettinger,Wallstedt,Dostal

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=1pt,+- (8 count)
    G-Win=3pts,T=1,SO=2,G,A=1 (3 count)

12 Team Dynasty

Dobber Sports Apprentice

LuckyLuke - I have watch Markstrom play 6+ games a year live while in San Antonio and Rochester and many more on TV/internet feed, and currently have seen him twice this year VIA internet feeds... And I talk to Goldman several times a day as we bounce information off each other as it comes in, we discuss many issues and analize games togather when we can... so if you have questions I can relay...

Justin is still able to be in here and responding while with McKeens, but due to time constraits with his many projects and watching NCAA, JR, Euro and AHL games, he has just stopped poping in... But again... any questions you have, throw them to me or his Twitter and u'll likely get a responce.

Dobber Nation is well coverd =)
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Novice

Jason Banks - thank you for info. It's still quite small game sample for Markstrom, but if I'll have any questions, I know where to ask now.

The King of Diatribes

More stuff on Markstrom that kind of echos what I've said in some other threads, and what I've said to Jason when we chat on facebook:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,3682799.story

Don't be concerned UNLESS we find out he's playing through some kind of undisclosed injury, which I don't suspect is the case.

Dobber Sports Stud

Markstrom has looked awesome, as of late.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRamrod View Post
    Markstrom has looked awesome, as of late.
    Six wins in a row now including two against Oklahoma (Oilers affiliate)
    12 team points only keeper (G = 1, A = 1, W = 2, SO = 2)
    Dress 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, 2 goalies, weekly starts
    Roster limit - 20 plus 4 prospects

Administrator

He is a perfect example of why guys like Malcolm Subban should not be overvalued in fantasy leagues. Markstrom has been a top prospect forever and we are still waiting for him to take over.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    He is a perfect example of why guys like Malcolm Subban should not be overvalued in fantasy leagues. Markstrom has been a top prospect forever and we are still waiting for him to take over.
    I'm with you 100% on that one. Goalies are notoriously unpredictable in terms of development. And no matter how sharp Markstrom looks now, the fact that he's already had knee problems, (injuries to them twice) scares the crap out of me.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne