Thread: shortened season: greater importance on tandems/#2 goaltenders?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default shortened season: greater importance on tandems/#2 goaltenders?

Given a shortened and potentially condensed schedule, I think #1B and capable #2 goaltenders will get more work than usual during the regular season. If things get moving with the CBA, be sure to value these types of goaltenders accordingly. If you're in a league where goaltending availability is scarce, and/or your scores include percentages, keep in mind how a condensed season will increase these goaltenders' work rates.

Administrator

It really depends on the final result. My guess is the players and owners will both want to cram in as many games as possible even at the cost of rest days which would benefit player health, another topic that they are discussing.

So a condensed schedule means more back-to-backs so the backups will definitely see more action. Goalie depth will be more important than ever.

In a condensed schedule I wouldn't be surprised to see some teams opt to bring in a top prospect goalie given how often he will play instead of going with a veteran seat-warmer. Two examples that come to mind are Lack in Vancouver and Desjardins (depending on his injury) in Montreal.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Expert

Yeah it's definitely a factor to consider, I think what you'll find is that teams with very "capable" backups like a Biron in NYR, Elliott in STL, Vokoun in PIT, Clemmensen in FLA, Harding in Min, Giggy in Col and Hedberg in Jersey will see much more time in B2B situations.

Also young up-and-coming goalies like Greiss, Enroth, Bachman, Lehner, Tokarski might get a bigger role as well. If it was a "normal" season, they might have had a 10% start rate, but in a shortened season they might go 15-20% of starts, which helps boost their fantasy value.

So when you're selecting goalies you definitely have to keep that in mind.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sorry, I can't see your point. WHY do you think these guys will get more ice time? One could also argue that teams still want to give their starters two thirds of the starts or even more because the total amount of games (and therefore also the weardown) is reduced. Who stops Rinne from playing 50 contests in 60 games season? Teams would still want their go-to-guys to get into a rhythm before the playoffs start.
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Expert

Because of scheduling and fatigue... We're dealing with humans here not video games where isn't a factor...

With a 60 game schedule you're looking at multiple 3 games on 4 nights or 4 games on 6 nights type of scheduling, goalies will be fatigued if they play that much and will have a higher chance of injury or getting too tired when it comes to playoff time. Remember teams are after the " big picture" getting a lot of regular season wins means nothing to them if it means their goalie will be tired come playoff time.

I could argue 2/3 of the starts, but when you say 50 out of 60 that's a bit far fetched (depending on the goalie), especially when they have perfectly capable backups in place. You could argue maybe Kipper who traditionally always garners a ton of starts and they don't have viable backup, but when you have a #2 like Biron, Clemmensen, Vokoun, Harding, Elliott and even C. Mason, you would think why would teams want to decide to run their goalies ragged when they have a perfectly capable backup to ease some of that pressure off?
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Gotlaid View Post
    Because of scheduling and fatigue... We're dealing with humans here not video games where isn't a factor...

With a 60 game schedule you're looking at multiple 3 games on 4 nights or 4 games on 6 nights type of scheduling, goalies will be fatigued if they play that much and will have a higher chance of injury or getting too tired when it comes to playoff time. Remember teams are after the " big picture" getting a lot of regular season wins means nothing to them if it means their goalie will be tired come playoff time.

I could argue 2/3 of the starts, but when you say 50 out of 60 that's a bit far fetched (depending on the goalie), especially when they have perfectly capable backups in place. You could argue maybe Kipper who traditionally always garners a ton of starts and they don't have viable backup, but when you have a #2 like Biron, Clemmensen, Vokoun, Harding, Elliott and even C. Mason, you would think why would teams want to decide to run their goalies ragged when they have a perfectly capable backup to ease some of that pressure off?
    Exactly. The only teams that are going to be riding their #1 to play >85% of the starts will be teams with really inexperienced #2 goaltenders on the cusp of making the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So what you say is that, if there is a season, it will be shortened, but they will still try to squeeze in more games in the remaining time span than would have been played during the same time span in an ordinray season. So the scedule is denser. NOW I can see your point. Thanks.
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    So what you say is that, if there is a season, it will be shortened, but they will still try to squeeze in more games in the remaining time span than would have been played during the same time span in an ordinray season. So the scedule is denser. NOW I can see your point. Thanks.
    Yep, precisely. It will certainly be condensed as much as possible.

Dobber Sports Ace

*bump*

here we are guys - a shortened season is incoming, and games will be scheduled much more closely together than usual. Don't underestimate the value of a solid tandem.

Banned

don't underestimate the need to win.
    fatigue is a factor, but winning trumps all.
    with a shortened season, each game is more important.
    and teams will ride their best goalie if they are in a race.
    i bet at the end of the season, a shortened schedule will have had
    unpredictable implications of little value to us now.

Administrator

If you look back at the 1994-95 season there were 26 teams so 26 "starters."

If you look at the top 26 goalies in terms of games played you get a low number of games at 26, an average of 36 and a high of 43. There were eight "workhorse" goalies who played 40+ games, with 16 playing in 36+ games. So the majority of teams had "starters" play in at least 75% of the games and 10 teams with goalies playing in less than 75% of games.

Small sample size and you'd have to compare it to the normal splits but it would seem that the schedule didn't have a huge impact.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

There is definitely potential for backups to take starts. If a backup is winning he'll steal the job because the team will need to win and because it's a short season the starter may never win the job back. On the flip side a workhorse may just take all the starts because if he's rolling then the team won't bother starting the backup if they need wins. I bet it all balances out but I will say that if you are worried about the abilities of your starter or his backup that you should complete the handcuff.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Workhorses have higher value, we might see some more backups on b2b games but for the most part few goalies went overseas, so a short season will benefit your ward, kipper, price like goalies teams with splits (currently van, was) will have a bigger split
    10 team Keeper, Roto G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP SOG: W, GAA SV%, SO, Keep 4Fwd, 2D, 1G
    Start 3c, 3 LW, 3 RW, flex Fwd, 5D 2G

C: H. Sedin(K), m. Koivu, Plekanec, Galchenyuk,
    LW: D. Sedin(K), B. Ryan(K), Burrows,
    RW: St Louis(K), Hornquist, c neil, alfredson, kassian
    D: Subban (K), Fowler(K), Schultz, Kronwall, dillon
    G; price(k), ward, hiller

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    Given a shortened and potentially condensed schedule, I think #1B and capable #2 goaltenders will get more work than usual during the regular season. If things get moving with the CBA, be sure to value these types of goaltenders accordingly. If you're in a league where goaltending availability is scarce, and/or your scores include percentages, keep in mind how a condensed season will increase these goaltenders' work rates.
    Looks like 4 games per week per team over the 12 weeks - I am guessing back-ups on good teams or good back-ups are going to see 10 starts and maybe more. Be interesting to see the schedule for B2B's.