Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PS3 owners

Dobber Sports Wizard

Question PS3 owners

Have any of you ever had issues with your PS3 shutting itself off or conversely turning itself on all by itself? Over the last couple of weeks it's started in with these random shutdowns. A movie or game will be running along perfectly and in a split second I have a blank screen. I look over and sure enough it's powered off.

Last night was the first time it did the power on all by itself. I wasn't even in the room when it happened. I was just outside the door and heard the unmistakable beep. I came in shut it off and no sooner got back to the door when it did it again. I shut off and this time it only waited 2 or 3 seconds and turned itself back on again.

At that point I just unplugged it as I was in no mood for the trick candle/PS3 gag. I plugged it back in a bit ago, and it started in again. Here's what I've done so far and my thinking behind it....

-Tried unplugging it from the surge protector and plugging it into the UPS that my computer is on. Thought maybe there were issues with that surge protector, even though the other items on it were fine.

-Plugging into the UPS didn't change anything. I figured maybe there was an issue with the controller that had been plugged into the console throughout all this. I plugged the controller and removed it from the room, to the other end of the house even, to make sure I broke the connection between the two.

-I rebooted the PS3 and connected the backup controller, but still the problem remains. Random system power offs and power ons.

Anybody else ever run into anything like this? I'm beginning to wonder if the console itself is starting to give up the ghost. Hopefully there's another explanation.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports All-Star

It could be yellow light of death. If your PS3 is off and you try to power on, a yellow light will blink for a second before it goes red and then shuts off. If that happens, your PS3 is at end of its life as the soldering is cracked from temperature changes and no longer connecting the motherboard anymore. This can be temporarily fixed with the hairblower trick or you can take it to PS3 fixer to reheat the solder back together. If the PS3 can still power on at lengths and it doesn't blink yellow before shut down, then it may be too much dust in the machine and its interrupting the motherboard.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Veteran

Do you have an old, fatty PS3? I had some issues with one a long time ago but have never dealt with any issues on my 3 year old slim.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Administrator

There is also possibility of interference from something else. I'll give my personal example.

I installed a driver in my laptop so that I can plug my PS3 controller in the PC for NES/SNES/Genesis emulators. I use my laptop in my rec room, about 10 feet from the location of my PS3. The controller is wireless so when I use it on the PC it will sometimes turn on my PS3.

All that to say... check for outside sources that could be causing this.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Two words for you, dude: Paranormal Activity.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    It could be yellow light of death. If your PS3 is off and you try to power on, a yellow light will blink for a second before it goes red and then shuts off. If that happens, your PS3 is at end of its life as the soldering is cracked from temperature changes and no longer connecting the motherboard anymore. This can be temporarily fixed with the hairblower trick or you can take it to PS3 fixer to reheat the solder back together. If the PS3 can still power on at lengths and it doesn't blink yellow before shut down, then it may be too much dust in the machine and its interrupting the motherboard.
    Thanks gainerama. The shutoffs aren't happening right after powering up the console, they happen well after that. Could be anywhere from a half-hour to five or six hours after. It's extremely random and there's no discernable pattern either. On the plus side I haven't noticed anything with the yellow light, then again I'm not looking at the console right before it happens.

On the other, I do try and wipe down the outside of the machine at least twice a week to prevent dust buildup, and also give it a quick blow out with one of those compressed air in a can deals every three or four weeks. I don't get it right down on it, I try to keep the end of the nozzle a few inches back so that the console doesn't take the full force of the blast, just so it gets enough to clean it out. Maybe that just hasn't been enough to get it good and clean.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Thanks gainerama. The shutoffs aren't happening right after powering up the console, they happen well after that. Could be anywhere from a half-hour to five or six hours after. It's extremely random and there's no discernable pattern either. On the plus side I haven't noticed anything with the yellow light, then again I'm not looking at the console right before it happens.

On the other, I do try and wipe down the outside of the machine at least twice a week to prevent dust buildup, and also give it a quick blow out with one of those compressed air in a can deals every three or four weeks. I don't get it right down on it, I try to keep the end of the nozzle a few inches back so that the console doesn't take the full force of the blast, just so it gets enough to clean it out. Maybe that just hasn't been enough to get it good and clean.
    I had a laptop that used to shut off after random intervals, but it was always when I had it on a table in class at school (ie overheating). Sometimes it was in the first 15 minutes of class, and sometimes it lasted all day. The new devices all have temperature thresholds before they just turn off.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    Do you have an old, fatty PS3? I had some issues with one a long time ago but have never dealt with any issues on my 3 year old slim.
    Like you I have the slim. This one is just shy of two years old, actually will be two in January. Damn how pathetic is it that I know my PS3's birthday. F--- I need a life.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    There is also possibility of interference from something else. I'll give my personal example.

I installed a driver in my laptop so that I can plug my PS3 controller in the PC for NES/SNES/Genesis emulators. I use my laptop in my rec room, about 10 feet from the location of my PS3. The controller is wireless so when I use it on the PC it will sometimes turn on my PS3.

All that to say... check for outside sources that could be causing this.
    I don't have any setups like that, and the surroundings are the same as they have been for the last year. Well the old big screen TV is now in here, but when I first got the PS3 it was hooked to that same TV, and it actually sat on top of it without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    That was one of my first thoughts...seriously. This house has some weird shit happen at times that makes you wonder.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I had a laptop that used to shut off after random intervals, but it was always when I had it on a table in class at school (ie overheating). Sometimes it was in the first 15 minutes of class, and sometimes it lasted all day. The new devices all have temperature thresholds before they just turn off.
    When it was just the random shutdowns that's what I chalked it up to. I have a lot of heat pumps in here between the TV, computer, printer, etc, etc. I've been trying different solutions to cool this room down without turning the rest of the house into a freezer or this room into a small scale NASA wind tunnel.

It's this bit with just out of the clear blue turning itself on, or after I turn it off it goes it turns itself right back on, that has me baffled.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post

That was one of my first thoughts...seriously. This house has some weird shit happen at times that makes you wonder.
    Have you looked out your window and saw a random little girl standing by a well? A fuzzy screen then a dark ring appears? Messages written on your steamy mirror after a shower? Perhaps you ate some crazy Indian food recently? Happens to me all the time.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    Have you looked out your window and saw a random little girl standing by a well? A fuzzy screen then a dark ring appears? Messages written on your steamy mirror after a shower? Perhaps you ate some crazy Indian food recently? Happens to me all the time.
    1. No wells in the neighborhood, with or without, little girls standing next to them. A couple of street lights with hookers under them, but no wells.

2. It's the other way around, a dark screen and then a fuzzy ring.

3. Yes. All it said was red rum. I just chalked it up to poor demographic research by an overzealous liquor marketer. I'm a beer drinker, and the occasionally shot of whiskey, but never been into rum no matter what color it is.

4. No, just this thing called the Merciless Pepper of Quetzlzacatenango. Had the most confounding talk with this wolf that sounded eerily like Johnny Cash. Kept flapping his snout about finding my soulmate.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    When it was just the random shutdowns that's what I chalked it up to. I have a lot of heat pumps in here between the TV, computer, printer, etc, etc. I've been trying different solutions to cool this room down without turning the rest of the house into a freezer or this room into a small scale NASA wind tunnel.

It's this bit with just out of the clear blue turning itself on, or after I turn it off it goes it turns itself right back on, that has me baffled.
    Yea, not sure about the random turn-ons, but if heating is an issue it might be because of whatever entertainment setup you have. Mine is a fancy unit with glass shelves and an open front/back so it helps for air flow. But some of the wooden units could be more problematic.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yea, not sure about the random turn-ons, but if heating is an issue it might be because of whatever entertainment setup you have. Mine is a fancy unit with glass shelves and an open front/back so it helps for air flow. But some of the wooden units could be more problematic.
    In a case of, to quote Simon Pegg from Hott Fuzz, brain wave, I think I've just found the ghost that was causing that random start up issue. When it first happened I had what I consider my "primary" controller hooked to the console. Well it was damn near dead, that was why I plugged it in. The backup was dead when I plugged it in and had the same issues, and therein lies the ghost I think.

If you have a controller that's dead or very close to it plugged in the system may force itself to stay on to recharge, at least until it gets to a certain level of charge. See here's the thing, I've never done that before, I've always put them on the charging stand. When the primary died I was planning to keep playing so I plugged it in while I kept going. Only thing was a couple of minutes later I decided I was going to stop for the night and just left it plugged in out of laziness.

The backup is usually always charged and ready just in case, but I had to move the stand a couple of days ago and forgot to plug it in. So when I went to plug in earlier it was dead too. Now I've had that backup plugged in for the last couple of hours, I shut the system down about a half hour ago, and no phantom start ups. I never connected those dots until just now.

You truly do learn something new everyday.

Dobber Sports Expert

You sure your GF/wife/partner is not doing this to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t7k-EOpwZw
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Gotlaid View Post
    You sure your GF/wife/partner is not doing this to you?
    As much time as I spend hanging out on this forum you actually think I have a GF/wife/partner?