Thread: Too much for Malkin??

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Too much for Malkin??

Was talking about Malkin with my buddy but he said he'd give up Malkin for Giroux//RNH, I think it's too much.

His team.
    Carter - Malkin -Sharp
    Sedin - Ryan - Vanek
    Marleau - Koivu
    Weber
    Lundquist - Kiprusoff - Fleury
    He has picks #1 #10 #11.

MY league and team in Sig.
    ***2014/2017 Points only League Champion***
    Our league is a 10 team, 12 player keeper. Weekly H2H
    Points only. Dress - 4 LW 4 C 4 RW 6 D 2 G
    Weight - G= 2 A= 1 Hatty =3 W = 2 So=3 OTL=1
    Keepers - Giroux, Ovechkin, Backstrom(C), Tarasenko, Malkin, Wheeler, -- Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo -- Rask, Schneider, Talbot

Dobber Sports Padawan

Well..Having three 100+ pt seasons I feel warrants it

And geez, I googled Evgeni Malkin and this is the first picture that comes up! Filthy!

http://www.chespn.com/picture/malkin...leryImage=true

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by MJFP View Post
    Was talking about Malkin with my buddy but he said he'd give up Malkin for Giroux//RNH, I think it's too much.
    In a 12-player keeper that is way too much. Keep what you have.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Too much to give up in a somewhat smaller keeper. Last season he was a beneficiary of no Sidney for a lot of the time and we know he plays better in that scenario. I know he was still lights out with Sid in but I believe it would be different if it were for a whole season. He'll still break 100, but Giroux will be damn close and RNH is well on his way to near that level.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    In a 12-player keeper that is way too much. Keep what you have.
    Agree with blayze

Dobber Sports Wizard

In any keeper league bigger than a keep 1, it's a no from me. Geno is definitely the best player in the trade, but Giroux isn't far behind and RNH looks like he'll be a damn good player himself.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Expert

I dunno it seems like a high price at the moment, but maybe Giroux + Duchene instead?

If he doesn't budge then pass... but I mean you can always try to negotiate back and forth.

The thing for me is Giroux is still a bit of an unknown, where as Malkin is more of a sure thing you know what you're going to get.

Giroux there were a lot of things that went right for him last year, elevated shot totals, elevated assists, elevated PPP, Jagr factor... I wouldn't be surprised if he repeated last season as he has the talent to do so, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he regressed to say point-per-game as well...

That's the difference for me... Malkin has that "known" factor, where as Giroux is still a bit of a "gamble", with that said the cost of RNH is too steep to cover that gap, if it was Duchene or JVR that might be doable, but RNH is too much IMO.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Gotlaid View Post
    I dunno it seems like a high price at the moment, but maybe Giroux + Duchene instead?

If he doesn't budge then pass... but I mean you can always try to negotiate back and forth.

The thing for me is Giroux is still a bit of an unknown, where as Malkin is more of a sure thing you know what you're going to get.

Giroux there were a lot of things that went right for him last year, elevated shot totals, elevated assists, elevated PPP, Jagr factor... I wouldn't be surprised if he repeated last season as he has the talent to do so, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he regressed to say point-per-game as well...

That's the difference for me... Malkin has that "known" factor, where as Giroux is still a bit of a "gamble", with that said the cost of RNH is too steep to cover that gap, if it was Duchene or JVR that might be doable, but RNH is too much IMO.
    I agree with this post re: Duchene/JVR
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Giant

giroux is not nearly as proven as malkin and you know youll have to over pay to get one of the big guns.
    i would think giroux and rnh is going rate.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Initiate

Okay, here is a question for you guys:

Malkin has had some very good goal-scoring seasons...50, 47, 28 in 67 games...Do you expect Giroux and/or RNH to ever approach those numbers, or are they going to be more assist guys? Giroux had some pretty big goal numbers in junior, so maybe he turns into a scorer, but RNH seems like a setup guy more than anything. Just looking for opinions here though, so tell me if I am wrong with that assessment. In a league that values goals, does Malkin have a big edge over the other two? A moderate edge? Small edge? No edge?

The flip side of that is Malkin's durability though. He does tend to get banged up a lot.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    giroux is not nearly as proven as malkin and you know youll have to over pay to get one of the big guns.
    i would think giroux and rnh is going rate.
    I would have to agree with above. Ya, it's an overpayment, but if you want one of the big guns, that's what you're going to have to do to get them. I don't know of many situations where it isn't an overpayment to acquire one of them, unless you catch the GM napping.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think I prefer the Malkin side... but it depends on roster allocation.
    How many forwards do you start? Daily or weekly?

Let's do some point totals (as an example, these are just some numbers that I am picking):
    Malkin (100pt player): 45Gx2 + 55Ax1 = 145pts.
    Giroux (90pt player): 30Gx2 + 60Ax1 = 120pts.
    RNH (80pt player): 30Gx2 + 50Ax1 = 110pts.

Now, we have to go apples-to-apples, which means we have to consider a 2nd player on the Malkin-side... and this is important... who is the new 12th keeper? (Name a forward that it might be).

Let's say you get a Ryan Callahan:
    Callahan (55pt player): 30Gx2 + 25Ax1 = 85pts

TOTALS:
    Malkin + Callahan = 145pts + 85pts = 230pts
    Giroux + RNH = 120pts + 110pts = 230pts

For this case... it's pretty equal... but I like the Malkin-side because:
    *You can find an improvement over a 55pt Callahan... and whoever you find makes this side stronger.

Now, the calculation should be as YOU see fit.
    Plug in the numbers and see how it works out.
    Personally, I see Giroux more as an 80-85pt player, which makes a 100pt Malkin + scrub, a much better option.

But it's all in how somebody evaluates the FOUR players in play here.

Dobber Sports Novice

While Malkin is the best player in the deal the other two are not that far behind with their potential. The problem being is you are giving up 2 solid keepers for one.
    Now maybe that works as it is the offseason but if he has to drop one of his keepers, you should be able to get that player in the trade as well which would help you fill the empty keeper slot you would have otherwise.
    If there is no longer a restriction on the amount of keepers and he doesn't have to drop one then that doesn't help you make the trade and I agree you have to look at the trade as who else will be involved to replace the open spot you have. Otherwise I think the potential that you are giving up outwieghs the benefit of getting the best player in the deal when you add in the health problems Malkin has had.
    And Yes I own Malkin and paid a lot to get him mself right before he went down with the injuries, and I would flip him instantly for Giroux and RNH if offered this trade in our full keeper even being a Pens fan and hating the Flyers.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Weekly starts 12 F 6 D 2 G, this would be post keeper lock but before the draft. So he gets an extra guy while I'd have to wait to see how the draft went to know how the deal really turned out.

I figure I'm 1-2 years away from being a real league threat so I'll stand pat.

Thanks guys.
    ***2014/2017 Points only League Champion***
    Our league is a 10 team, 12 player keeper. Weekly H2H
    Points only. Dress - 4 LW 4 C 4 RW 6 D 2 G
    Weight - G= 2 A= 1 Hatty =3 W = 2 So=3 OTL=1
    Keepers - Giroux, Ovechkin, Backstrom(C), Tarasenko, Malkin, Wheeler, -- Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo -- Rask, Schneider, Talbot