Thread: Damien Brunner vs...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Damien Brunner vs...

League Cat: G, A, P, PPP, +/-, Pims
    3 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 2 Util

With Brunner ripping it up with Zetterberg over in Europe, I was thinking about picking him up. It would be at the expense of one of the following:

Stafford
    Erat
    Perron
    A. McDonald

What does everybody think.

Dobber Sports Deity

As encouraging as his performance has been to date, I dont think I would drop any of those guys for him. Andy McDonald has had his injuries in the past but I would still want to own him before Brunner.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Don't reach for the flavour of the week. Brunner isn't close to any of the guys listed.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Immortal

I would also not want to own him over any of the guys listed.

Dobber Sports Novice

One year league, definiately have to go with Perron or McDonald over Brunner.

The Wolverine

I'll choose proven over potential, especially in a one-year league.

Dobber Sports Expert

I echo what everyone else said, most on your list are proven commodities, Brunner will still be stuck behind Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Samuelsson... Keep what you have.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyorr69 View Post
    3 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 2 Util

With Brunner ripping it up with Zetterberg over in Europe, I was thinking about picking him up. It would be at the expense of one of the following:

Stafford
    Erat
    Perron
    A. McDonald

Proven > prospect. All the time.

Brunner has been playing great with Zetterberg no doubt but I really don't see him putting up more than 40-45 points in the NHL. And that's over a full NHL season.
    A number Stafford, Erat, Perron and McDonald will all hit easily, baring any significant injuries.

That said. If there will be a shortened season I would definitely consider grabbing him if/ when McDonald or Perron get hurt. Especially, during a short season you'll need players that are at least playing but that's a long way down the road, and with a lot of maybes and ifs involved.

Stay the course with what you have right now.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyorr69 View Post
    3 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 2 Util

Stafford
    Erat
    Perron
    A. McDonald

My rankings:

Perron
    Erat
    Stafford
    McDonald
    Brunner
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Anyone changing their mind over this given his play recently? Looks like even with Zetterberg hurt he's continuing to tear it up.
    12 Tm Keeper League
    3-6 C 6-9 Wing 6-7D 2G
    P,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,GA,Saves

C: McTavish, Elias Pettersson, J.T. Miller
    W: Boeser, Huberdeau, Kakko, Bratt, Gaudreau, Giroux, Jarvis, Kyrou, Boldy, Tuch
    D: Werenski, Hughes, Korchinski, Montour, Ekblad, Sanheim
    G: Sorokin, Shesterkin

Farm:
    C: Rossi
    W: Raymond, Berggren, Pelletier, Peterka
    D: Perunovich, Sandin, Timmins, Hutson
    G: Kochetkov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by thinice View Post
    Anyone changing their mind over this given his play recently? Looks like even with Zetterberg hurt he's continuing to tear it up.
    It's still another league. There is an adjustment to the NHL systems, ice surface, speed of game, etc and he is soon turning 27 so he doesn't exactly have the longest adjustment period if things don't work out immediately. Same outlook as before.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    It's still another league. There is an adjustment to the NHL systems, ice surface, speed of game, etc and he is soon turning 27 so he doesn't exactly have the longest adjustment period if things don't work out immediately. Same outlook as before.
    Agree 100%.

The NHL is a totally different animal. I'd keep a close look on Brunner but I'd wait to see what happens with him before I'd pick him up.

Dobber Sports Stud

Keep what you have. Its great that he is scoring well overseas, but Europe is a whole other animal then the NHL. Having watched him in the Spengler Cup, he has skill, but he looked soft and overmatched against Canada. Two guys who looked fantastic were Sprunger (Fribourg) and Hofmann (Davos).

Dobber Sports Stud

I wouldn't drop any of Stafford, Erat, Perron, or McDonald for Brunner. Brunner is doing great outside of the NHL, but for me I don't put too much stock in it.

Stafford is a 50 point scorer, who can also put up a good amount of goals, he's done 30 once before, and in a full season could probably hit 30 again.

Erat isn't a special fantasy player, but he's safe for 50 points with the possibility of more, something I don't see Brunner being able to acheive in his first season.

Perron is a great talent, my favourite from the list. Probably not as safe as either Erat or Stafford, but has much greater chance at putting up bigger totals.

McDonald is the most cable of being a point per game player, but is unfortunately injury prone. He's a risky guy to have, but the risk with him is certainly worth it.

If no one picks up Brunner, keep an eye on him, see how he does compared to your other players, and address the situation from there. Until then stand pat, with what you have.