View Poll Results: Which one would you rather own in a keeper league?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • David Rundblad

34 44.74%
  • Stefan Elliott

42 55.26%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: David Rundblad or Stefan Elliott?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default David Rundblad or Stefan Elliott?

These two young D-man headed into last season as two of the most highly regarded prospect D-men. Both were coming off amazing seasons. Rundblad was ripping up SEL and Elliott was doing the same in juniors. Expectations were sky high for them (Rundblad was #1 in Dobber's prospect D-man rankings, Elliott #6) and they were in Calder talks before the season (especially Rundblad).

It was quickly noticed, however, that Rundblad's defensive game wasn't at NHL-level and he needed seasoning in the minors which he got, once he was traded to Phoenix. As the promise of Karlsson-Rundblad duo running Ottawa's PP turned into Rundblad having to fight with OEL, Yandle, Gormley and other Coyotes' young D-men, so did the hype stop. Rundblad became quickly the forgotten fantasy stud D-man prospect.

Meanwhile Elliott continued to raise to the top prospect D-men according to many. But was his rookie season really that much more impressive than Rundblad's? The expectations were just a lot less higher and it was known that his game needed more seasoning. Elliott's NHL-career started impressive but as the season went on he struggled and found himself in back in the minors. Still his season is being looked at more impressive than Rundblad's - but was it really that?

Rundblad had 7 points in 30 NHL-games between Ottawa and Phoenix and 16 points 30 games in AHL. Elliott had 13 points in 39 NHL-games with Colorado and 14 points in 30 games in AHL. Points wise their rookie seasons were more or less identical. What separates them is +/- (Rundblad was -30 compined in NHL and AHL, Elliott was +7). But that can be a deceiving statistic and is very team related.

This year Rundblad has started with 7 assists in 7 games in AHL while Elliott is pointless in 7 games.

Elliott has raised to being the top D-man in Dobber's rankings while Rundblad has fallen all the way to 16th place.

They're only 4 months apart in age and were drafted in the same draft class. They also have similar size and both struggle at the defensive end while having top-end offensive skills. So to me they're fairly comparable D-men.

So my question is, which of these two young prospects would you rather own in your keeper league? Has Rundblad really deserved the fall in ranking and in hype (seems like a lot of people already consider him as bust) after his rookie year and was Elliott's rookie year really that good to put him the best prospect D-man?

So, Rundblad or Elliott?
    Last edited by Carcillo; October 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Ace

I would take Elliott for his talent/potential, but also for two other primary reasons, team and competition for opportunity.

Colorado IMV is a team on the rise, has some good offensive talent and, besides EJ whose own future is up in the air, Elliott has the best chance to sieze the main offensive D-man spot on their roster.

Runblad, on the other hand, is on Phoenix whose future is unknown, is offensively challenged and he has to compete with Yandle & OEL not to mention Gormley et al.
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Giant

in their draft year i drafted rundblad 7th overall and elliot went 8th in our pool. i now own both. i think elliot is less risk but i like rundblads top end more.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Genius

I think these two guys are goind to be good NHLers but I gave the nod to Elliott because he doesnt have the stiff compettion for playing time that Rundblad does.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Elliott is the safer bet IMO but personally, I'll gladly take Rundblad.

Elliott was overhyped (not saying Rundblad wasn't) to the extreme because based on his age/supporting cast/league he was playing in, his stats weren't all that impressive.

Dobber Sports Legend

I prefer Elliott for a few reasons:

1. Competition - If Elliott is capable of putting it all together, he will be the top offensive D on an emerging Avs team. Rundblad will be behind Yandle and OEL and has some other nice competition to contend with.

2. Skills - While Rundblad is a silky smooth offensive player, there were a handful of times last year where Elliott showed ELITE offensive play (not good, but elite). Neither player were capable of holding a full-time job in the NHL last year but Elliott showed flashes of brilliance.

3. Shooting - Elliott has an amazing wrist shot and loves to join the rush with speed and fire the biscuit. Rundblad reminds me more of a Tomas Kaberle type who excels at the transition game and loves to pass.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Predicting young d-men is the hardest thing to do in FANTASY HOCKEY.. To pick between these two is such a crap shoot, but I guess if I had to choose I would probably choose Elliott just because he seems to be the future PPQB of the Av's.. Rundblad seems to have too much competition ahead of him right now, so I would go with Elliott..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Pro

Based on potential alone, Rundblad would be the winner here...

but factor in everything else, like opportunity, two-way game etc. and Elliot is the safer, more realistic bet at this point...and his potential is pretty high too.

Dobber Sports Giant

Both good options. Elliott seems to be the safe choice, so so I'll cast my lot in with him. I'd love to own Rundblad, though.

Incidentally, when I first joined my main keeper league, Runblad was on my main roster, and not being aware of our farm teams when first joining, I dropped him for some depth player.

Pretty bone-headed move, and sort of a "welcome to the league" moment for me. I plan on staying with this league for a long time, and regardless of the guy's future NHL success (or lack thereof), I will always remember David Rundblad and that fateful lesson.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ninja

Elliott over Rundblad for me, but it's close.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I prefer Elliott for a few reasons:

1. Competition - If Elliott is capable of putting it all together, he will be the top offensive D on an emerging Avs team. Rundblad will be behind Yandle and OEL and has some other nice competition to contend with.

2. Skills - While Rundblad is a silky smooth offensive player, there were a handful of times last year where Elliott showed ELITE offensive play (not good, but elite). Neither player were capable of holding a full-time job in the NHL last year but Elliott showed flashes of brilliance.

3. Shooting - Elliott has an amazing wrist shot and loves to join the rush with speed and fire the biscuit. Rundblad reminds me more of a Tomas Kaberle type who excels at the transition game and loves to pass.
    I agree with everything FC said here.

Elliott>Rundblad.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Everything this covered here.
    fungchen's post hits everything.

Stefan Elliott

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Everything this covered here.
    fungchen's post hits everything.

Stefan Elliott
    Another vote for Elliott. He has elite elite speed.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Ace

Elliott will have a chance to showcase his offensive skill set before Rundy
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Stud

I've been watching this thread, waiting for some seperation. It was very close for a long time.

I need to figure out which one to trade (numbers game), and this thread helps alot. Thanks.
    F-Crosby,Jarvis,Wheeler,Horvat,Mittlestadt,Landeskog ,
    Cooley,Newhook,JT.Miller,Vrana,Bjorkstrand,Connor,
    Greenway, Aho

D-Carlson,Hedman,Pulock,Pionk,
    Klingberg,Addisson,Forsling,Korchinski

G-Hellebuyck,Kotchetkov,Oettinger,Wallstedt,Dostal

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=1pt,+- (8 count)
    G-Win=3pts,T=1,SO=2,G,A=1 (3 count)

12 Team Dynasty