Thread: Long Term Prospects...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Long Term Prospects...

Please Rank In The Long-Term. Consider both ceiling and their likelihood to reach it.

A Nilsson
    P Mrazek
    M Visentin
    F Andersen
    Last edited by dongjohnson; October 29, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Highest Ceiling:

Nilsson
    Andersen
    Visentin
    Mrazek

Likelihood to Reach:

Visentin
    Nilsson
    Andersen
    Mrazek

Combo:

Nilsson
    Andersen
    Visentin
    Mrazek

Dobber Sports Veteran

Appreciate your thoughts and repped you. Anyone else with a view on this?
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would rank them as....

Andersen
    Nilsson

Visentin
    Mrazek

The first two are just more interesting players to own imo. There's no such thing as a "safe" goalie pick, so I look for upside and at least signs of good development which is what Andersen and Nilsson will give you. Fwiw, Visentin is probably the most likely to have a long NHL career. but when that career is probably as a backup I'm not sure if that's what anyone really is looking for.

Andersen over Nilsson is a personal choice on my part....I own both players on my fantasy team so I've followed them as much as possible. If Andersen had signed with Carolina he would be the backup this season, and although he's splitting time with Bobkov in the AHL so far I expect him to eventually win that starting job. He's huge, and plays a blocking style a lot like Giguere

He may have Hiller and Fasth ahead of him on the NHL roster, but I don't expect Fasth to be much of a roadblock long term, his upside at this point is a backup and at his age I could see him leaving Anaheim looking for a starter's job or going back to Sweden. Hiller is 30, and a UFA in 2014. With appropriate development on Andersen's part (which I don't worry about, I think he's a legit prospect) he could very well split time or be Anaheim's starter beginning in 2014. I personally have Andersen on a tier behind Markstrom and Lehner in terms of goalie prospects.

Nilsson is a close second, and I would have no problem if you wanted to list him first. He's another big guy, in a good situation in New York. Kevin Poulin is really his only competition, and the Isles are putting together a strong young team. He showed he can handle the NHL last year although it was only a few games, picking up his first career shutout. He dominated the AHL last season after a rough start.

Like mentioned before, I'm not excited about Visentin. He could be a backup for a long time, maybe a low-level starter but I'm not sure he'll ever be fantasy worthy. And Mrazek, although an intriguing prospect, won't see the NHL for 5+ years if at all. I know you said long-term but he's very much a maybe at this point and even if he does pan out it's a looooong wait.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Administrator

I have a different spin on this, and it comes with my dislike for giving space to goalies who have the most development time and uncertainty out of all the positions. I like to collect goalies with the purpose of trading them when their value builds up. In this case I think Visentin would be your best bet given his name recognition from the World Juniors, especially if he catches fire in the AHL this year.

If you are looking for a guy that could be fast-tracked into a key NHL role, then Nilsson is the guy.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I have a different spin on this, and it comes with my dislike for giving space to goalies who have the most development time and uncertainty out of all the positions. I like to collect goalies with the purpose of trading them when their value builds up. In this case I think Visentin would be your best bet given his name recognition from the World Juniors, especially if he catches fire in the AHL this year.

If you are looking for a guy that could be fast-tracked into a key NHL role, then Nilsson is the guy.
    I agree 100% with this. I do feel Andersen, Nilsson, and Visentin are all close to seeing NHL time and due to that may be worth holding on to, but in general I carry goalie prospects more as trade bait than actually graduating them to my main roster.

I've acquired Lehner, Nilsson, and Poulin in the last year or so through trades because of their proximity to the NHL. I drafted Visentin in 2010 partially due to value (got him 60th overall or so), but partially because he was a fairly well developed young goalie in a barren system (until Mike Smith came along).

On the flip side, I drafted Oscar Dansk this July. He was BPA at the pick I got him, but I have no intention of waiting out his development time. I'll wait (hope) for him to have a good WJC along with posting good numbers in the OHL, and then look to trade him whenever I feel his value is high. Upper-end goalie prospects are best used as trade bait imo unless you can get them further along in their development at the right price.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    Please Rank In The Long-Term. Consider both ceiling and their likelihood to reach it.

A Nilsson
    P Mrazek
    M Visentin
    F Andersen
    Nilsson
    Mrazek
    Andersen
    Visentin
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Visentin - Closest to the NHL due to talent and oppertunity, has aslo shown work horse ablity with room for growth, the kid is also a winner (2 years or less)

Mrazek - Best of Detroit's prospects, when he gets to the NHL, he should push Howard or anyone else instantly (2-4 years)

F Anderson - Anahiem is currently rather stable in net, and has 3 way battle with Gibson and Bobkov involved... I'm not willing to bet on either of the 3 winning the battle to be first to Anahiem, but I'm willing to say all 3 are of very good prospect value, Anderson is below Mrazek until he is moved or becomes a front runner... (2+ years)

Nilsson - Long Island is a great place to find oppertunity, but who was the last reliable and stable fantasy option there worth having on your team? I'm not a big Nilsson fan as he seems to be a flopper, also competition with Poulin short term, Koskinen is also in the wings... (no time frame, its a Wang owned team, nothing is predictable)
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck