Thread: Rate My Team - First H2H Draft

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Rate My Team - First H2H Draft

League Details

10 Teams

Roster Positions: C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR

Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Penalty Minutes (PIM), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Faceoffs Won (FW)

Goaltenders Stat Categories: Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Save Percentage (SV%), Shutouts (SHO)

I had the last pick in the draft, how'd I do?

1. John Tavares
    2. James Neal
    3. David Backes
    4. Pat Kane
    5. Shea Weber
    6. Martin St.Louis
    7. P.K. Subban
    8. Roberto Luongo
    9. Pavel Datsyuk
    10. Drew Doughty
    11. Mikka Kiprusoff
    12. Antti Niemi
    13. Alex Semin
    14. Ryan Clowe
    15. Sheldon Souray
    16. Zach Bogosian

Dobber Sports Expert

I like your team even thought you should have a little more gamebreakers in a 9 team draft. I mean, you drafted Neal at 11 overall, to me that's a bit of a reach. Backes isn't that good in your set-up with your league not counting hits, but he gets some value back if he has wing eligibility due to FOW.

Your league is offensive oriented with only one ''agression'' stats being PIM. So good job on getting solid offensive contributors late in your draft. Semin in round #13 is very good.

I am not so sure why you drafted Luongo ahead of Kipper, I'm wondering who was available when you took Luuu..
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like it. I think you did a pretty darn good job. That is all & good luck!

The Wolverine

Pretty solid overall. Some comments/questions:

- Is this in Yahoo?
    - What are the position eligibilities? Based on Yahoo, you only have one pure centre so if you plan on putting Backes/Datsyuk there it's a bit of waste since it takes away from the value of having a winger who takes faceoffs. If you have another pure centre then it might be ok. But I'll guess at your setup based on Yahoo:

C: Tavares, Backes
    L: Neal, Datsyuk, Semin
    R: Kane, St. Louis, Clowe
    D: Weber, Subban, Doughty, Souray, Bogosian
    G: Luongo, Kiprusoff, Niemi

- I would drop Bogosian (not as much value in this league, even if he gets healthy for start) and pick up a pure centre who is solid in FOW. Who's available? Zajac?
    - Neal at 11 is not bad if you feel he can repeat last year. His value drops a bit without hits but depending on the options available (and if Yahoo he has L/R eligibility) he could be ok.
    - Backes in the third is too early IMO, even with FOW. Especially as mentioned before about whether he's been placed in your centre slot. I wonder if someone like Zetterberg (as a winger) was available at that pick or Toews (pure centre). PIM is easy to pick up late and is only one category (in a H2H not as crucial to have 'multi cat studs' and in this setup, especially when picking them early). But if you like him there then no worries.
    - Interesting going for Luongo in the 8th (could be great value) but then getting Kiprusoff and Niemi in the 11th/12th respectively!? That's great value. A small chance at some weekly conflicts given two are in the same division and all three are in the west (depending on how the new schedule will look). But I wouldn't worry too much, just something to keep in mind.
    - St. Louis in the 6th, Datsyuk in the 9th and Doughty in the 10th are solid picks.

Overall, seems like a pretty good squad and other than dropping Bogosian for another centre I would gauge your performance in the early going to see if you need to adjust. Good luck.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I like this draft a lot. It's a 2nd-4th best team, IMO.
    Waiting on goalies in a 10-team league... paid-off, didn't it!
    A trifecta of Luongo (8th), Kipper (11th), and Niemi (12th)... that's a top 3 or top 5 goalie group and you probably drafted them later than anybody else. A+ on goalie draft strategy!

I agree that reaching for Backes & P.Kane was a little early... but it's not terrible... and you are a lock to win FOW every week.

The only tweak I'd make it to drop Bogosian for a guy that really takes a lot of FOW at center. Tomas Plekanec (C) is one of my favourite late picks and may be available in a shallow pool like this. He finished 5th in the NHL last year in FOW. He'll get your 55-60pts & 50-60 PIM. If he's there, I'd make that move. If not, Zajac (C-NJ) is a great pick and probably on the wire too.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Awesome thanks everyone for your comments rep given ! I can drop Bogo for Plekanec or Kesler. I know Kesler is out for a bit but buy any chance he comes back around Dec/Jan? Or would Plekanec be the best option still? Yahoo pool with positions. The other change im considering making is droping Clowe for Wheeler... thoughts? The goalie strat was awesome and having the corner just worked out perfect. I agree bit of a reach with Neal and Backes but hopefully when I drop Bogo that will fix that situation.
    Last edited by bluck; October 30, 2012 at 2:32 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

By name recognition, Kesler is the sexier commodity.
    If he's at full health, he's the better option.

That said, Plekanec is a very solid option in FOW leagues.
    He had a bad year, but a new coach in Montreal might shuffle lines and re-promote Plekanec to Line 1 & PP1. I mean... is David Desharnais really a #1 center?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Here's the final roster folks, thanks for all the help and hopefully this can pull me to a championship!

C: Tavares, Kesler
    L: Neal, Datsyuk
    R: St. Louis, Backes
    D: Weber, Subban, Doughty, Souray
    G: Luongo, Kiprusoff, Niemi
    BN - Kane, Semin, Clowe

Dobber Sports Initiate

Awesome job getting quality goaltending that late in the draft. As Pengwin7 said earlier, that should cement your spot in the top 3 for this league. Good work!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I don't think there's anything wrong w/ Neal at 11. Frankly I think he's a bit of steal there. If Crosby and Letang are healthy the penguins PP will be clicking even more efficiently than last season. He was top 2 in shots last season, could have a healthy dose of PIMs and go plus. That's all your forward categories except face offs, and he might have dual eligibility on the wings.

Subban was a great pick, and goalies are always a wild card. Luongo/Kipper could be a dynamite starting pair or could flame out spectacularly (no pun intended).

I like your late picks of Semin and Clowe, they should both be solid depth guys for you if injuries flare up.

I don't like your bottom 2 d-men, souray and bogosian (just because of bogosian's injury, i think he'll be the Jets best d-man in a two years). Is anyone available on the free agent wire? John Carlson maybe?

All in all, good draft, especially for a first year. Good luck!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Just to note, once the season starts you can roll Kesler onto your IR and score another FOW center.

The Kesler pickup is win-win, you'll be able to trade one or the other for whatever you need.

Comish Dynasty 2021-22 (24 Team Roto Dynasty, Custom Salaries)
    Minnesota North Stars, 2nd Tier
    C - Aho, Rakell, Foligno, Trenin (Janmark, Steel, Kurashev)
    LW - Hall, Lucic, Sanford, Bellows (Vesalainen, Foote, Katchouk)
    RW - Seguin, Toffoli, Jaskin, Donskoi (Jarvis)
    D - Sergachev, Edler, Petterson, Forbort, Ceci, Valimaki (H.Fleury, Alexeyev, Salo)
    G - Price, Brossoit (Stolarz)

Dobber Sports Initiate

I made another change and dropped souray for schultz.. all that talent up in Edm was just to hard to resist.