Thread: Rate my team!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Rate my team!

Bored at work and missing NHL hockey. Rate the team in my sig, please! I know the stats are a little weird, this is my bro-in-law's league, his first time running one. This year is kind of a trial to turn into a keeper league next year. Head-to-head, daily starts.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Immortal

I really like it as you seem to have balance at every position. Goaltending shouldn't be a worry for you, although it rarely is in a 10 team league. And while you lack "star power" on the wings you have quite a few mid to upper tier players. I love you defense with AP, JJ, Goli and OEL.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I find it extremely weird that you only ice one goalie in a 10-team league yet have so much weight towards them in categories lol...and also how you're carrying four. I'd probably dump Reimer and go with a forward since there's a very little chance that he gets into that roster and I doubt there will be any shortage of goaltending talent on the WW.

Decent enough squad though. I would have been gunning for David Backes in this setup...but you snagged a couple of multi-category guys in Lucic and Clowe.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I find it extremely weird that you only ice one goalie in a 10-team league yet have so much weight towards them in categories lol...and also how you're carrying four. I'd probably dump Reimer and go with a forward since there's a very little chance that he gets into that roster and I doubt there will be any shortage of goaltending talent on the WW.

Decent enough squad though. I would have been gunning for David Backes in this setup...but you snagged a couple of multi-category guys in Lucic and Clowe.
    Was thinking the exact same thing.

Administrator

Same line of thinking as the previous posters, but I also think that with only 1 daily goalie start, you'll find yourself with a bottleneck as you have 3 goalies from the Eastern conference.

I agree with dropping Reimer for a forward.
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Giant

you have way too much goaltending for a 1 start league. id try and trade rinne, anderson and reimer for lundy. anything to upgrade tallent as you dont need 4 goalies.
    you dont have any real superstars and in a 10 team league you should try to upgrade through 2 for 1 trades.
    team looks like a contender for top 4, but im not thinking its a winning team. i do like your depth though.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for the feedback all. I agree that I have way too many goalies for a one goalie start. I think I kind of lost sight of that towards the end of the draft, and I was also lobbying to get a second goalie added to the nightly rosters, but since the draft is already completed I'm probably SOL on that one.

G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    Util (1)

Dobber Sports Padawan

I've targeted this team for a trade, he only owns one goalie so I'm hoping I can swap one or two of my goalies for a couple skaters. Any ideas, dobberites?

His roster:

C - H. Sedin, Kesler, M. Koivu, Stastny, Cervanka
    RW - Hossa, Heatley, Clarkson, Purcell,
    LW - D. Sedin, Lupul, Marleau, Fleischmann, Paajarvi, S. Kostitsyn
    D - Campbell, Giordano, Ehrhoff, Markov, Fowler, Burns, B. Smith, Voynov, Hedman
    G - Smith

Util (1)

The Wolverine

Is there a minimum requirement of goalie appearances per week?

One thing that jumps out is that goaltending doesn't appear all that important, not just because of starting one only. Being a H2H points league, how much does a goalie really affect your weekly totals? On the surface, the manager with Smith seems to be thinking that way so the emphasis was on skaters.

I don't have time to do the calcuations, but perhaps you could use last year's stats and find out how much on average your starters would produce on a weekly basis (average out totals) to see how much of a goalie's production affects the total per week. Since we're not considering bench players for now, that'll at least show the maximum ratio of goalie to skater production and give you a better sense on their value. I'll bet it's quite low. If so, I'm not sure offering a second goalie would make much of a difference, but I'll wait until you provide the numbers.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Is there a minimum requirement of goalie appearances per week?

One thing that jumps out is that goaltending doesn't appear all that important, not just because of starting one only. Being a H2H points league, how much does a goalie really affect your weekly totals? On the surface, the manager with Smith seems to be thinking that way so the emphasis was on skaters.

I don't have time to do the calcuations, but perhaps you could use last year's stats and find out how much on average your starters would produce on a weekly basis (average out totals) to see how much of a goalie's production affects the total per week. Since we're not considering bench players for now, that'll at least show the maximum ratio of goalie to skater production and give you a better sense on their value. I'll bet it's quite low. If so, I'm not sure offering a second goalie would make much of a difference, but I'll wait until you provide the numbers.
    Thanks for the advice, it was an interesting exercise. Going by last season's totals, if I never changed my lineup, my team would've averaged 92.59 points per week. Of that total, Pekka Rinne accounted for 8.52 points, or 9.2%. Per player, he's the second highest on my team after Stamkos, but as a position goalies account for the lowest number of points by far (other than Util, unless I decided to play Stamkos there all season).

Obviously, I want to try and fill the position every night, so I think having more than one goaltender is a good idea, but having four like I do is definitely overkill.

Util (1)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    Thanks for the advice, it was an interesting exercise. Going by last season's totals, if I never changed my lineup, my team would've averaged 92.59 points per week. Of that total, Pekka Rinne accounted for 8.52 points, or 9.2%. Per player, he's the second highest on my team after Stamkos, but as a position goalies account for the lowest number of points by far (other than Util, unless I decided to play Stamkos there all season).

Obviously, I want to try and fill the position every night, so I think having more than one goaltender is a good idea, but having four like I do is definitely overkill.
    Interesting indeed, and it shows the relatively low value a second goalie would have, unless you are lucky on having two goalies that don't conflict that often. Perhaps worth enquiring to that manager whether he's interested in a second goalie, such as Anderson? I would gather that in a league of this setup it comes down to manager strategy on the importance of goaltending so I would be prepared for a rejection or a back end forward. As Reimer is not guaranteed to be the starter (I think, but can be corrected) so probably has very little value in this league and could safely be dropped for a skater. What other goalies are available on FA?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Interesting indeed, and it shows the relatively low value a second goalie would have, unless you are lucky on having two goalies that don't conflict that often. Perhaps worth enquiring to that manager whether he's interested in a second goalie, such as Anderson? I would gather that in a league of this setup it comes down to manager strategy on the importance of goaltending so I would be prepared for a rejection or a back end forward. As Reimer is not guaranteed to be the starter (I think, but can be corrected) so probably has very little value in this league and could safely be dropped for a skater. What other goalies are available on FA?
    I've since dropped Reimer and added Troy Brouwer off the FA list. I can't check right now since I'm at work, but I know there were quite a few goalies available who were at least comparable to, if not better than Reimer. I'll see if I can get anything for Anderson... if not, I'll roll with 3 tenders for now and hope to capitalize on an injury or something if the season ever starts!

Util (1)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    I've since dropped Reimer and added Troy Brouwer off the FA list. I can't check right now since I'm at work, but I know there were quite a few goalies available who were at least comparable to, if not better than Reimer. I'll see if I can get anything for Anderson... if not, I'll roll with 3 tenders for now and hope to capitalize on an injury or something if the season ever starts!
    Another thing I've noticed is that you have ten bench slots! I wonder how often you will use those players, especially if we have a shortened, condensed schedule. With that in mind, I wonder if a third goalie might actually (marginally) help you more than a second/third bench skater per position, whom you may only use once (if at all) per week. That being said, with a condensed schedule, you may not use Anderson much as well, but like you said, could be good insurance or even trade bait later on if other managers have injuries.

Have you ever used/seen the 'same night tool' that has been shared on this site? If not, do a search and you'll find it easily. Essentially, it identifies conflicts between players in a specific position depending on who you start and how many are on your bench. If we do have a shortened season, once the schedule is decided I would guess that the SNT owner will update it. Could be very useful if you are keeping Anderson to see how often he'll conflict with your top two goalies.
    Last edited by horrorfan; November 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Another thing I've noticed is that you have ten bench slots! I wonder how often you will use those players, especially if we have a shortened, condensed schedule. With that in mind, I wonder if a third goalie might actually (marginally) help you more than a second/third bench skater per position, whom you may only use once (if at all) per week. That being said, with a condensed schedule, you may not use Anderson much as well, but like you said, could be good insurance or even trade bait later on if other managers have injuries.

Have you ever used/seen the 'same night tool' that has been shared on this site? If not, do a search and you'll find it easily. Essentially, it identifies conflicts between players in a specific position depending on who you start and how many are on your bench. If we do have a shortened season, once the schedule is decided I would guess that the SNT owner will update it. Could be very useful if you are keeping Anderson to see how often he'll conflict with your top two goalies.
    Thanks a ton for the advice! Rep given.

Util (1)