Thread: Harding or Neuvirth

Administrator

Default Harding or Neuvirth

Who would you rather have out of these two as a 3rd goalie (start 2 goalies per game day)? I see Harding with possibly a higher trade value after this year, but the Neuvirth vs Holtby situation is intriguing as well. Thanks!
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Guru

Harding for me as well.

He should finally be getting the opportunity to be #1 in Minny - now that they're also finally headed to become a contender. Backstrom has only a year left and probably won't re-sign giving Harding the opportunity he's been waiting a long time.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Immortal

Yep my choice is Harding as well. I don't see Holtby becoming the undisputed number one this year but I do expect Washington to go through their usual song and dance with goalies.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Harding gets the edge for me. Goaltending situations are extremely unpredictable though.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Going against popular opinion here and going with Neuvirth. That's right!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I also go with Neuvy... I think backstrom will get more starts.
    I like to look at their contracts sometimes to help edge my choices... since that can lead politics (i.e. contract years to showcase players for trade or figure out their resign salary...etc)
    Courtesy of Capgeek:
    a )Neuvirth, Michal » -- $1,150,000 -- RFA end of season 2013

b) Holtby, Braden » EL -- $637,777 -- RFA end of season 2013

c) Backstrom, Niklas » $6,000,000 -- UFA end of season 2013

d) Harding, Josh » $1,900,000 -- $1,900,000 --$1,900,000 -- UFA ( 2015 )

If backstrom commands a high amount on a resign... i imagine they go to harding more to figure out if they can roll w/ him longer term. I still think he will get all the opportunities given the size of his contract.

You can spin this any way though...
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Administrator

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Just curious - I know that Backstrom's contract expires at the end of the season, but why is it that everyone assumes that he won't be resigned? Age? Injury history? Performance?
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chillyh View Post
    Just curious - I know that Backstrom's contract expires at the end of the season, but why is it that everyone assumes that he won't be resigned? Age? Injury history? Performance?
    Age. Salary. Tight cap situation (almost $57 million already committed to only 16 players for 2013-14 season and with the cap ceiling expected to become close to 60 with new CBA). Harding's level of play. The NHL-readiness of Matt Hackett.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Apprentice

LoL read my Sig....

I have both and for the most part run a 4 goalie machine... (unfortunatly not optimal)

Harding has much more pure talent and high end capabilities, unfortunatly, in the NHL, he has bad luck and is a bandaid boy for all intents and purposes... As a starter over 55+ games I'd say Harding has the talent to be a top 10 Goalie... I too expect Backstrom gone... age is the reason, contract not as much, he is getting older has made his $$$ I see him understanding game economics and taking a reduced salery to play where he wants and can... But I do see Minny potentially trading him mid season-deadline to a contending team in need...

Nuevirth I currently rate as my #3 goalie due to his current situation as the 1A in Washington and his age... I'm one of the few, but I like Neuvirth more than Holtby.... And I see Neuvirth as a more reliable option, mind you low ceiling.... best I can see Nuevs being is a middle of the road goalie who's numbers will be dependant on the team infront of him... Due to my fantasy roster's offence I don't need excellent goaltending, I just need competitive numbers for others to beat... I'm also able to ride the hot hands, if Neuvs struggles I don't have to play him and hurt my stats...

In the end I feel Nuevirth is the better of the 2 options if your just looking for a #3... but if your a dice roller, I feel Harding is the best of the 2 talent wise....

My plans long term will be to shed Niemi, and try and roll Varly, Nuevs and Harding, and try and aquire a top end goalie prospect like Lehner... Eventually rolling with Varly, YTD and winner of Harding vs Neuvs....
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck