Thread: yet another draft review

Dobber Sports Pro

Default yet another draft review

8 teams Yahoo daily H2H:
    -4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2Util, 3G / 6BN, 2 IR
    -G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK / GS, W, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

my team:
    C: E.Staal, Getzlaf, Weiss, M.Koivu, Hanzal
    LW: Couture (C), Benn (C), J.Staal (C), Ott (C), McDonald (C), Dubinsky (C)
    RW: Malkin (C), Backes (C), Lupul (LW), Semin (LW), Voracek, Wheeler, Doan (LW)
    D: Letang, Weber, Phaneuf, Shattenkirk, Seabrook, Carle, Hamonic.
    G: Rask, Smith, Hiller, Pavelec.

Available FA:
    OEL, Faulk, Ruutu, Malone, Roy, Berglund, Boyle... Neuvirth, Vokoun, Khabibulin, Reimer, Scrivens, Hackett.
    (would any on these be an upgrade to my team?)

I think I'll do allright in skater cats, but I'm worried about my goalies. 40% with 3 starting goalies, maybe I should focus on them more in the early rounds.

What do you good good people of Dobber community think?

Dobber Sports Expert

8-teamer leagues are always hard to judge just cause there isn't a lot of variance amongst the teams (every team looks so darn good cause the talent isn't as spread out as much).

At first glance I like how you have a lot of dual eligible players, so you have a lot of interchangeability among your team. Plus a lot of them take FW as well, so that should really help out in that department. Also a lot of your forwards are peripherally very strong in PIM, HIT and BS, so you should be pretty good there.

I think the biggest gamble might be the goalies. But with that said, if your 2 main guys of Smith and Rask live up to potential, you could easily be walking away from this league with the crown. Both are on fairly defensively sound teams and both are solid number 1 options with not a lot of competition to steal starts away from them. Hiller is a solid #3 as well, so he should provide some solid stats... I'm not sure on Pavelec, I think he's more detrimental more than helpful. Like a 5 goal start and he could completely toast all the good work that Smith or Rask does... I would maybe see if you can get a less volatile goalie maybe like Vokoun... He might not get a lot of starts, but you would think all of his starts would probably be quality.

Khabibulin might be worth looking into as well, but probably not at the moment. You could wait for the season to start to evaluate how he's doing.

Overall I like the make up of your team. Not knowing how the rest of the league looks like, I can't really say how strong it is compared to your competition. But given your stats and the player profiles of your players, you should be pretty happy.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

The Wolverine

I think you have a very solid team, with good depth and balance. Even being in an eight team league you seem to have covered the bases quite well. For skaters, I would be tempted to add Ruutu for McDonald but it may work out anyway - McDonald will give you more offense (when playing) but Ruutu could cover more categories. However, it seems that hits are solid already on your squad so he may not be as needed - food for thought though. Given those available on FA I wouldn't rush into a decision as there will always be options given needs over the course of the season.

Furthermore, you have a lot of multiple eligibility players so should cover any lineup conflicts quite well. Though if it's a Yahoo league they are quite generous there so most teams should have that flexibility.

As for goaltending, I wouldn't worry about too much. You have four clear cut starters, two of which could be elite and two could have breakout seasons. Given the categories - wow that's a lot - I think you'll still be able to cover them quite well.

Good luck!

Dobber Sports Stud

I would take that team in an 8-team league in a minute. The number of guys you can plug in on wing that take face-offs is incredible. You have some solid grit in Hanzal, Ott, Phaneuf and Backes (plus guys like Getz and Benn are no slouches) and some elite goal scorers as well.

I would consider dropping McDonald for Vokoun if you want to shore up your goalies. I have full confidence in Rask and Smith. I think Hiller is a great goalie but worry about the team in front of him, especially if they try to trade one or both of Getz/Perry later in the year. I have no idea what to make of Winnipeg. McDonald seems redundant and Vokoun should give some solid spot starts IMO.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by tomastop View Post
    8 teams Yahoo daily H2H:
    -4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2Util, 3G / 6BN, 2 IR
    -G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK / GS, W, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

my team:
    C: E.Staal, Getzlaf, Weiss, M.Koivu, Hanzal
    LW: Couture (C), Benn (C), J.Staal (C), Ott (C), McDonald (C), Dubinsky (C)
    RW: Malkin (C), Backes (C), Lupul (LW), Semin (LW), Voracek, Wheeler, Doan (LW)
    D: Letang, Weber, Phaneuf, Shattenkirk, Seabrook, Carle, Hamonic.
    G: Rask, Smith, Hiller, Pavelec.

I think this is a top 3 team in an 8-team league.
    With 3G and all those goalie categories, a lot of performance is simply going to come down to how many games you can get your goalies in for every week. Once the season is set, you'll want to get your hands on the "same night tool" here on DobberHockey and check all your goalies and see if there is a 5th goalie (perhaps) that you can add to get more starts.

Your skaters look solid. As gotlaid says, it is very hard to evaluate teams in small (8-team) leagues. But I do think it's very solid.
    I love all the hits & FOW on the wings. I love the centers in the center spots

Really, truly, this team looks like it was drafted by somebody that has an excellent understanding of mega-multi-cat fantasy hockey.

An A+ draft.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks guys, rep to you all. Really appreciated!

Nice to see those hours spent around this site really paid off. ;-)