• Ryan Miller

62 95.38%
  • Craig Anderson

3 4.62%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Cage Match Tournament] #1 Miller vs. #5 Anderson

Administrator

Default [Cage Match Tournament] #1 Miller vs. #5 Anderson

This is the second batch of our Round Two matchups in the Cage Match Tournament. Last week featured our second upset of the tournament so don't be shy in picking an underdog. Just remember that you are voting based on a one-year league with scoring categories being: Wins, GAA, Save% and Shutouts.

May the best goalie win.

#2 Jaroslav Halak vs. #3 Jimmy Howard
    #1 Mike Smith vs. #4 Niklas Backstrom
    #2 Cam Ward vs. #3 Roberto Luongo
    Last edited by metaldude26; October 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Giant

easy one imo.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Genius

Ryan Miller for me boss.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Whoever voted for Anderson is nuts/

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's Miller time beeitch.

Banned

I'd take Miller, but the numbers will be closer than people think. Miller just has name value, and has had only one great year. Anderson will have more wins than Miller, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I'd take Miller, but the numbers will be closer than people think. Miller just has name value, and has had only one great year. Anderson will have more wins than Miller, at least.
    Even if you remove his best statistical season, he's averaged a .917 SV%, 2.56 GAA, 33 wins, 5 shutouts, and around 1800 saves per season since 08-09.

Meanwhile over the past 2 seasons (ie: since his best statistical year), Anderson has averaged .913 SV%, 2.5 shutouts, 28.5 wins, around 1500 saves, and a GAA north of 2.70.

Long story short... last season was Anderson's second best season to date and Miller's 3 year average WITH his best season removed still beats Anderson in every category but saves...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Even if you remove his best statistical season, he's averaged a .917 SV%, 2.56 GAA, 33 wins, 5 shutouts, and around 1800 saves per season since 08-09.

Meanwhile over the past 2 seasons (ie: since his best statistical year), Anderson has averaged .913 SV%, 2.5 shutouts, 28.5 wins, around 1500 saves, and a GAA north of 2.70.

Long story short... last season was Anderson's second best season to date and Miller's 3 year average WITH his best season removed still beats Anderson in every category but saves...
    The first stat isn't correct because Miller's career save percentage is .915, so if you remove his best season, it would drop, not improve to .917. Same goes for GAA.

All I am predicting is that over the next couple of seasons, if both remain starters, their numbers will be closer than people think (just like they were the last two seasons). I didn't say Anderson would be better than him in any of the categories except wins. Anderson could realistically take him in both wins and save percentage. I expect Miller to better him in GAA and shutouts.

I don't really take past stats into consideration too much when it comes to goalies, but take a look:

Career stats:

Anderson - 294 GP, 268 starts, 131 wins, 0.49 wins per start, 2.79 GAA, .913 SV%, 19 shutouts, 0.071 shutouts per start

Miller - 460 GP, 453 starts, 252 wins, 0.56 wins start, 2.57 GAA, .915 SV%, 28 shutouts, 0.062 shutouts per start

So, wins, save percentage, and shutouts are pretty similar.

Anderson hasn't been a starter as long, keep in mind, and has played on Florida, Chicago, and Colorado in some bad years for those teams.

All I am saying is, Miller will most likely take 3 out of 4 categories, maybe even 4. But you shouldn't be shocked if Anderson wins more games than him and puts up a similar SV%. Hell, the shutouts will probably be similar as well.
    Last edited by Big Ev; October 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    The first stat isn't correct because Miller's career save percentage is .915, so if you remove his best season, it would drop, not improve to .917. Same goes for GAA.

All I am predicting is that over the next couple of seasons, if both remain starters, their numbers will be closer than people think (just like they were the last two seasons). I didn't say Anderson would be better than him in any of the categories except wins. Anderson could realistically take him in both wins and save percentage. I expect Miller to better him in GAA and shutouts.

I don't really take past stats into consideration too much when it comes to goalies, but take a look:

Career stats:

Anderson - 294 GP, 268 starts, 131 wins, 0.49 wins per start, 2.79 GAA, .913 SV%, 19 shutouts, 0.071 shutouts per start

Miller - 460 GP, 453 starts, 252 wins, 0.56 wins start, 2.57 GAA, .915 SV%, 28 shutouts, 0.062 shutouts per start

So, wins, save percentage, and shutouts are pretty similar.

Anderson hasn't been a starter as long, keep in mind, and has played on Florida, Chicago, and Colorado in some bad years for those teams.

All I am saying is, Miller will most likely take 3 out of 4 categories, maybe even 4. But you shouldn't be shocked if Anderson wins more games than him and puts up a similar SV%. Hell, the shutouts will probably be similar as well.
    I said since 08-09 (ie: the past 3 seasons other than his best statistical season - during which his average is .917). I tend not to dig back any further than a few years as that often doesn't reflect current performance, and likewise, I didn't dig into any of the years where Anderson wasn't a starter because it's different circumstances.

Administrator

I'd have to say that Dyz's selected timelines for each players' stats seem a bit too selective. Miller gets three years worth but Anderson only gets two? But I think the general point is that Miller has produced a stronger baseline of production for a longer period than Anderson. Basically, the worst case scenario for Miller is a much better scenario than the worst case scenario for Anderson, which is just an elaborate way of saying Miller carries less risk.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'd have to say that Dyz's selected timelines for each players' stats seem a bit too selective. Miller gets three years worth but Anderson only gets two? But I think the general point is that Miller has produced a stronger baseline of production for a longer period than Anderson. Basically, the worst case scenario for Miller is a much better scenario than the worst case scenario for Anderson, which is just an elaborate way of saying Miller carries less risk.
    Not really fair to compare starter vs. non-starter numbers as the sample of games is drastically different. Anderson has only been a starter for 3 years, with one of them being his career year.

Administrator

Not really fair to compare starter vs. non-starter numbers as the sample of games is drastically different. Anderson has only been a starter for 3 years, with one of them being his career year.
    Well then I suppose you'd have to limit the size of the Miller sample then wouldn't you?

Well then I suppose you'd have to limit the size of the Miller sample then wouldn't you?
    And if you take the past 2 years of Miller's career you get .916 SV%, 5 shutouts, 32.5 wins, 2.565 GAA, 1718 saves... which is virtually identical to the numbers I posted above.

Banned

Very selective indeed and not a lot of logic to it.

Administrator

And if you take the past 2 years of Miller's career you get .916 SV%, 5 shutouts, 32.5 wins, 2.565 GAA, 1718 saves... which is virtually identical to the numbers I posted above.
    Which begs the question of why you didn't go this route.