View Poll Results: Miller or Anderson?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ryan Miller

    62 95.38%
  • Craig Anderson

    3 4.62%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: [Cage Match Tournament] #1 Miller vs. #5 Anderson

  1. #1
    metaldude26's Avatar
    metaldude26 is online now
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,568
    Location
    Dryden, Ontario.
    Rep Power
    25

    Administrator

    Default [Cage Match Tournament] #1 Miller vs. #5 Anderson

    This is the second batch of our Round Two matchups in the Cage Match Tournament. Last week featured our second upset of the tournament so don't be shy in picking an underdog. Just remember that you are voting based on a one-year league with scoring categories being: Wins, GAA, Save% and Shutouts.

    May the best goalie win.

    #2 Jaroslav Halak vs. #3 Jimmy Howard
    #1 Mike Smith vs. #4 Niklas Backstrom
    #2 Cam Ward vs. #3 Roberto Luongo
    Last edited by metaldude26; October 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM.
    Tweet me your fantasy hockey inquiries @SteveLaidlaw

  2. #2
    Location
    TERRACE is hockey
    Rep Power
    46

    Dobber Sports Sage

    Default

    easy one imo.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

    C= crosby,m.koivu,malkin,zajak,grabovski,b.richards
    LW= ovechkin,nash,dubinsky
    RW= downie,hemsky,callahan,voracek,perry,gagner,brouwe r
    D= green,doughty,phaneuf,wisniewski,girardi,karlsson, smid
    G= rask,lundqvist,ward,price

    FARM=kreider,grachev,enroth,kuznetsov,ennis,rundbl ad,bjugstad,radulov,montoya, adam,t.erixon,cowan,s.elliot,j.faulk,cormier,petro v,orlov,stone,eakin,grigorenko,silfverberg,brodin, atkinson,paajarvi,Nichushkin,mantha,jenner

    --G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blocks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

  3. #3
    DerekReese's Avatar
    DerekReese is online now
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,259
    Location
    The Future
    Rep Power
    112

    Dobber Sports Genius

    Default

    Ryan Miller for me boss.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

    12 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 83.9mil, Player actual salaries
    2 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

    F - Toews, Perry, E.Staal, Vanek, Lucic, Skinner, Simmonds, Wingels, Nielson, R. Smith, Gallagher, Kreider
    D - Phaneuf, Faulk, Brodie, Regehr, Stone, Guenin
    G - Hiller, Khudobin
    Bench - Bollig, Clune, Penner, Fisher, Killhorn, Johnson, Stalock

    Prospects - Petrovic, Bjugstad, Dalpe, Poirier, Barberio, Barrie, Olsen, Wey

    IR - Stamkos, Fistric

  4. #4
    dyzfunctioned's Avatar
    dyzfunctioned is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    13,033
    Rep Power
    57

    Dobber Sports Grand Master

    Default

    Whoever voted for Anderson is nuts/

  5. #5
    bondon's Avatar
    bondon is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    12,901
    Rep Power
    100

    The Wolverine

    Default

    It's Miller time beeitch.

  6. #6
    Big Ev's Avatar
    Big Ev is online now
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    11,835
    Rep Power
    64

    Dobber Sports Juggernaut

    Default

    I'd take Miller, but the numbers will be closer than people think. Miller just has name value, and has had only one great year. Anderson will have more wins than Miller, at least.

  7. #7
    dyzfunctioned's Avatar
    dyzfunctioned is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    13,033
    Rep Power
    57

    Dobber Sports Grand Master

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I'd take Miller, but the numbers will be closer than people think. Miller just has name value, and has had only one great year. Anderson will have more wins than Miller, at least.
    Even if you remove his best statistical season, he's averaged a .917 SV%, 2.56 GAA, 33 wins, 5 shutouts, and around 1800 saves per season since 08-09.

    Meanwhile over the past 2 seasons (ie: since his best statistical year), Anderson has averaged .913 SV%, 2.5 shutouts, 28.5 wins, around 1500 saves, and a GAA north of 2.70.

    Long story short... last season was Anderson's second best season to date and Miller's 3 year average WITH his best season removed still beats Anderson in every category but saves...

  8. #8
    Big Ev's Avatar
    Big Ev is online now
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    11,835
    Rep Power
    64

    Dobber Sports Juggernaut

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Even if you remove his best statistical season, he's averaged a .917 SV%, 2.56 GAA, 33 wins, 5 shutouts, and around 1800 saves per season since 08-09.

    Meanwhile over the past 2 seasons (ie: since his best statistical year), Anderson has averaged .913 SV%, 2.5 shutouts, 28.5 wins, around 1500 saves, and a GAA north of 2.70.

    Long story short... last season was Anderson's second best season to date and Miller's 3 year average WITH his best season removed still beats Anderson in every category but saves...
    The first stat isn't correct because Miller's career save percentage is .915, so if you remove his best season, it would drop, not improve to .917. Same goes for GAA.

    All I am predicting is that over the next couple of seasons, if both remain starters, their numbers will be closer than people think (just like they were the last two seasons). I didn't say Anderson would be better than him in any of the categories except wins. Anderson could realistically take him in both wins and save percentage. I expect Miller to better him in GAA and shutouts.

    I don't really take past stats into consideration too much when it comes to goalies, but take a look:

    Career stats:

    Anderson - 294 GP, 268 starts, 131 wins, 0.49 wins per start, 2.79 GAA, .913 SV%, 19 shutouts, 0.071 shutouts per start

    Miller - 460 GP, 453 starts, 252 wins, 0.56 wins start, 2.57 GAA, .915 SV%, 28 shutouts, 0.062 shutouts per start

    So, wins, save percentage, and shutouts are pretty similar.

    Anderson hasn't been a starter as long, keep in mind, and has played on Florida, Chicago, and Colorado in some bad years for those teams.

    All I am saying is, Miller will most likely take 3 out of 4 categories, maybe even 4. But you shouldn't be shocked if Anderson wins more games than him and puts up a similar SV%. Hell, the shutouts will probably be similar as well.
    Last edited by Big Ev; October 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

  9. #9
    dyzfunctioned's Avatar
    dyzfunctioned is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    13,033
    Rep Power
    57

    Dobber Sports Grand Master

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    The first stat isn't correct because Miller's career save percentage is .915, so if you remove his best season, it would drop, not improve to .917. Same goes for GAA.

    All I am predicting is that over the next couple of seasons, if both remain starters, their numbers will be closer than people think (just like they were the last two seasons). I didn't say Anderson would be better than him in any of the categories except wins. Anderson could realistically take him in both wins and save percentage. I expect Miller to better him in GAA and shutouts.

    I don't really take past stats into consideration too much when it comes to goalies, but take a look:

    Career stats:

    Anderson - 294 GP, 268 starts, 131 wins, 0.49 wins per start, 2.79 GAA, .913 SV%, 19 shutouts, 0.071 shutouts per start

    Miller - 460 GP, 453 starts, 252 wins, 0.56 wins start, 2.57 GAA, .915 SV%, 28 shutouts, 0.062 shutouts per start

    So, wins, save percentage, and shutouts are pretty similar.

    Anderson hasn't been a starter as long, keep in mind, and has played on Florida, Chicago, and Colorado in some bad years for those teams.

    All I am saying is, Miller will most likely take 3 out of 4 categories, maybe even 4. But you shouldn't be shocked if Anderson wins more games than him and puts up a similar SV%. Hell, the shutouts will probably be similar as well.
    I said since 08-09 (ie: the past 3 seasons other than his best statistical season - during which his average is .917). I tend not to dig back any further than a few years as that often doesn't reflect current performance, and likewise, I didn't dig into any of the years where Anderson wasn't a starter because it's different circumstances.

  10. #10
    metaldude26's Avatar
    metaldude26 is online now
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,568
    Location
    Dryden, Ontario.
    Rep Power
    25

    Administrator

    Default

    I'd have to say that Dyz's selected timelines for each players' stats seem a bit too selective. Miller gets three years worth but Anderson only gets two? But I think the general point is that Miller has produced a stronger baseline of production for a longer period than Anderson. Basically, the worst case scenario for Miller is a much better scenario than the worst case scenario for Anderson, which is just an elaborate way of saying Miller carries less risk.
    Tweet me your fantasy hockey inquiries @SteveLaidlaw

  11. #11
    dyzfunctioned's Avatar
    dyzfunctioned is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    13,033
    Rep Power
    57

    Dobber Sports Grand Master

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'd have to say that Dyz's selected timelines for each players' stats seem a bit too selective. Miller gets three years worth but Anderson only gets two? But I think the general point is that Miller has produced a stronger baseline of production for a longer period than Anderson. Basically, the worst case scenario for Miller is a much better scenario than the worst case scenario for Anderson, which is just an elaborate way of saying Miller carries less risk.
    Not really fair to compare starter vs. non-starter numbers as the sample of games is drastically different. Anderson has only been a starter for 3 years, with one of them being his career year.

  12. #12
    metaldude26's Avatar
    metaldude26 is online now
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,568
    Location
    Dryden, Ontario.
    Rep Power
    25

    Administrator

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Not really fair to compare starter vs. non-starter numbers as the sample of games is drastically different. Anderson has only been a starter for 3 years, with one of them being his career year.
    Well then I suppose you'd have to limit the size of the Miller sample then wouldn't you?
    Tweet me your fantasy hockey inquiries @SteveLaidlaw

  13. #13
    dyzfunctioned's Avatar
    dyzfunctioned is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    13,033
    Rep Power
    57

    Dobber Sports Grand Master

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Well then I suppose you'd have to limit the size of the Miller sample then wouldn't you?
    And if you take the past 2 years of Miller's career you get .916 SV%, 5 shutouts, 32.5 wins, 2.565 GAA, 1718 saves... which is virtually identical to the numbers I posted above.

  14. #14
    Big Ev's Avatar
    Big Ev is online now
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    11,835
    Rep Power
    64

    Dobber Sports Juggernaut

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'd have to say that Dyz's selected timelines for each players' stats seem a bit too selective. Miller gets three years worth but Anderson only gets two? But I think the general point is that Miller has produced a stronger baseline of production for a longer period than Anderson. Basically, the worst case scenario for Miller is a much better scenario than the worst case scenario for Anderson, which is just an elaborate way of saying Miller carries less risk.
    Very selective indeed and not a lot of logic to it.

  15. #15
    metaldude26's Avatar
    metaldude26 is online now
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,568
    Location
    Dryden, Ontario.
    Rep Power
    25

    Administrator

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    And if you take the past 2 years of Miller's career you get .916 SV%, 5 shutouts, 32.5 wins, 2.565 GAA, 1718 saves... which is virtually identical to the numbers I posted above.
    Which begs the question of why you didn't go this route.
    Tweet me your fantasy hockey inquiries @SteveLaidlaw

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •