Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

Administrator

YES!!!!! THANK HEAVENS, YES!!!!!!!!!

Ding dong, the witch is dead!

I didn't really think that there was a whole lot to particularly enjoy about this week's episode but they did some serious plot progression. It's a bit sadistic but I couldn't be happier that Lori died. When she was giving that little speech to Carl before they cut her open, I was laughing hysterically. One final shitty performance before she left us for good. But what a relief! She's finally gone. The weird ridiculous tension between her and Rick is gone. The terrible mothering is gone. This show spun it's tires with Lori for too long and it'll be nice to see where they go from here.

Of course, now they have a baby on the show, which is quite possibly the most ridiculous aspect of it. A cynic would say they've simply replaced Lori's constant whining with an actual whining baby and while that's true I suspect the baby will simply exist so that the blonde girl has something to do beyond batting her eyes at Carl. I was really hoping for a zombie baby but I guess we will have to suffer with a live one. It's also entirely likely that the baby just gets overlooked any time there's plot to progress, kind of like T-Bone these past two and a half seasons.

Speaking of T, I guess it was time for him to die. After all, this was the first episode he had more than a line or two in since the first season. Did anyone else find it shocking that he was religious? I couldn't believe it when he said that stuff to Carol before charging to his demise.

I also laughed when the inmate in the boiler room kills the other inmate. First of all, Daryl waiting behind him was priceless but as soon as that guy killed the other inmate I thought, well, we've got a new T-Bone. I wonder if he'll have more to say.

With a bunch of characters lost but some new ones established there is seemingly room for the show to grow. The only issue I have is how shallow practically every new character seems to be. Just because this is a horror TV show doesn't mean they need to stoop to the same lows that horror films do to find actors. Maybe the new black inmate will provide more depth than T but I am sincerely sceptical about Captain Moustache. He's quite possibly the shallowest character on the show and that's saying something. Hopefully he has a short run.

Still, with Lori gone that's a lot of dead weight removed. And since Lori and her baby were the only real reason to keep Herschel around I am hopeful that he's the next to go. I'm sure we will have to play out the string with Herschel and the new guys until the ultimate end of season conflict because you need zombie fodder but I do think the pecking order is established.

By the way, was that Carol's half eaten body or T's at the end there? I couldn't figure it out. I'm assuming it was T's, which means Carol is still out there, maybe.

Beyond the dead weight that was hacked off like Herschel's dead leg, I really liked how they were able to move between the two different parts of this universe. It felt a lot like Lost and it was a great way to help progress some of the plot with Andrea, Michonne and the Governor without actually needing anything to happen. Surely a full episode of the monotony that was this week in Woodbury but by bouncing back and forth between the prison and Woodbury they allowed Lori's death to do the heavy lifting while also progressing the plot on the other end of the universe. I am hopeful that the show can continue to use such designs to keep things progressing to season's end.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    Yeah, did not all of that coming - so much in one episode.

The ratio of show to commercials is starting to get to me though - I think there was one point where there was only 6 minutes of show in between ads.
    why the heck are there so many good shows on sundays eh .

dexter , walking dead , boardwalk etc..

my pvr working overtime on sundays

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    why the heck are there so many good shows on sundays eh .

dexter , walking dead , boardwalk etc..

my pvr working overtime on sundays
    I have sacrificed Boardwalk for now because Homeland has gotten so darn good. Also Sundays.

Dobber Sports Wizard

When i saw the title of the most recent ep, "Killer Within" i figured it was about Lori's baby. I ddn't see T-Dog coming, but knew something had to give with him defending the prisoners. All in all, nice ep.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    YES!!!!! THANK HEAVENS, YES!!!!!!!!!

Ding dong, the witch is dead!

I didn't really think that there was a whole lot to particularly enjoy about this week's episode but they did some serious plot progression. It's a bit sadistic but I couldn't be happier that Lori died. When she was giving that little speech to Carl before they cut her open, I was laughing hysterically. One final shitty performance before she left us for good. But what a relief! She's finally gone. The weird ridiculous tension between her and Rick is gone. The terrible mothering is gone. This show spun it's tires with Lori for too long and it'll be nice to see where they go from here.

Of course, now they have a baby on the show, which is quite possibly the most ridiculous aspect of it. A cynic would say they've simply replaced Lori's constant whining with an actual whining baby and while that's true I suspect the baby will simply exist so that the blonde girl has something to do beyond batting her eyes at Carl. I was really hoping for a zombie baby but I guess we will have to suffer with a live one. It's also entirely likely that the baby just gets overlooked any time there's plot to progress, kind of like T-Bone these past two and a half seasons.

Speaking of T, I guess it was time for him to die. After all, this was the first episode he had more than a line or two in since the first season. Did anyone else find it shocking that he was religious? I couldn't believe it when he said that stuff to Carol before charging to his demise.

Huge thumbs up to ALL of this.
    While I love the show's plot & direction, the characters have been the weak points for a long time.
    Lori was such a terrible actress... oh gawd, I'm so happy she's done.

I wasn't really a fan of T-Bone either... he brought nothing.

If this show could actually get the characters to be captivating, it could be magnificent.
    I like Daryl & Merle, and the blonde lady that is off with the cult (shit, I forget her name)... even the new Governor is good.
    But man, overall what a weak, weak character group.

Who did the casting for this show anyways?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Who did the casting for this show anyways?
    No doubt about it, the casting has been all over the map. I think that Chandler Riggs (Carl), Irone Singleton (T-dog) and Melissa McBride (Carol) are all pretty weak actors, while Sarah Wayne Callies (Lori) was brutal. That being said, Michael Rooker (Merle), Jon Bernthal (Shane) and Scott Wilson (Hershel) are all world class actors.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    No doubt about it, the casting has been all over the map. I think that Chandler Riggs (Carl), Irone Singleton (T-dog) and Melissa McBride (Carol) are all pretty weak actors, while Sarah Wayne Callies (Lori) was brutal. That being said, Michael Rooker (Merle), Jon Bernthal (Shane) and Scott Wilson (Hershel) are all world class actors.

Rylant
    Agree. I felt they killed Shane off too quick. He brought some much needed edginess to the show. I came on to it late, but when Shane got Otis killed, i thought: " that's a cold m-th-r f*c*r!!" #MissingShane

W:

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    Agree. I felt they killed Shane off too quick. He brought some much needed edginess to the show. I came on to it late, but when Shane got Otis killed, i thought: " that's a cold m-th-r f*c*r!!" #MissingShane
    Im hoping the Governor will bring that edginess back.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Im hoping the Governor will bring that edginess back.
    I can see that. He's already under my skin. lol. Merle being back should help as well. You can already see an intensity between him and The Govenor.

W:

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    For a show like this, I think the casting/acting has always been secondary to the story, set visuals, special effects, zombie makeup etc. I don't think the acting is quite as bad as it's made out to be.

Some shows are driven by the characters. Some are driven by the story. Some are a hybrid of both.
    I think it's more the writing than the acting. It's not the chick who plays Lori's fault that she was written as a terrible character who tells Rick to kill Shane and then gets mad about it....

On a side note...these were hilarious.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2012/11/how...g-dead/#page/1

All dawgs go to heaven

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I think it's more the writing than the acting.
    No... that actress was terrible.
    Actors or actresses totally make a TV show... the writing is fine.

Loved the link - just reviewed it.
    LOL Carl's first V!

Dobber Sports Immortal

LOL Carl's first V!
    ....and it's his mom's.

Administrator

No... that actress was terrible.
    Actors or actresses totally make a TV show... the writing is fine.

Loved the link - just reviewed it.
    LOL Carl's first V!
    I'm inclined to think that it's both. Characters make a TV show, not actors and actresses alone. Good writing puts actors in a position where they can show their strengths. So much of Sarah Wayne Callies' time as Lori was not spent in a position resembling anywhere near her strengths. The fact is the writing on this show, particularly during the end of Frank Darabont's run as show runner completely boxed in so many of these characters but good writing along with good acting can bring them to life.

Take Rick for example. He was awful last season. Andrew Lincoln, the actor who plays him, was awful last season. But I think they've given him a new sense of purpose and it's made him really really good this year. I actually care about his plight again.

Great actors can make terrible writing come to life and great writing can make bad actors look great. Last season was a case of mediocre acting on a terribly written show and this season they've been taking care of the trash, removing characters who were simply boxed in too much.

This show has taken a complete 180 and yet I still question what they are doing with regard to some of the new characters they've introduce. There's no denying that both Michonne and The Governor were well cast and have great actors portraying them but virtually every other character they have introduced resonates with the same sort of shallowness that was typical of last season. You can seemingly only make so much lemonaid out of the lemons you've cast.

What this season has done best is to focus on what it has always done best, kill zombies. They've added enough story to keep it fresh and keep it interesting but the main attraction is always going to be visceral action, which demands very little of it's actors and instead demands more excellence from their brilliant production team. These are the true stars of the show, the people in hair, makeup and special effects. What they have provided every week is nothing short of stunning. In that sense the writing on this show, particularly this season, has been brilliant. The zombies and the action and the behind the scenes people who make that happen are the real stars of the show and that has only been accentuated by new show runner Glen Mazzarra.

So I really choose to blame Frank Darabont for every part of the show that was awful last season, from the terrible writing to the short-sighted casting the show devolved into something awful, with just enough zombie killing to keep me coming back.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Finally caught up and I can go back to reading this thread

I love the direction the show has taken, but I don't think you should be expecting complex characters, because the comic books has even more shallow characters to draw from for the show.

I like how they've remade the Governor so far. It was completely impossible to connect to his character in the comic books and in the show they've given him some sympathy, even if it might be just for show. He's obviously still very twisted. I wonder how the two groups' paths will cross and turn into the war that happens in the comic books.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post

I like how they've remade the Governor so far. It was completely impossible to connect to his character in the comic books and in the show they've given him some sympathy, even if it might be just for show. He's obviously still very twisted. I wonder how the two groups' paths will cross and turn into the war that happens in the comic books.
    I assume it's going to happen with Merle going to look for his brother with the Governor and co.