Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I like the Dolph Lundgren pick. Interesting choice. He doesn't have JDM's pedigree as an actor, and this show does need solid acting to conceal the (sometimes) shoddy writing. tangent: Norman Reedus deserves a strong shout out for the "Why'd you go" moment. Really well done.

Having said that, Lundgren is quite a speciman. He's enormous, he can fight, and even has an accent. Perfect villain, although maybe a little cliche.
    That's one of the things that made the Rocky movies great... those bad guys were physically intimidating - Apollo, Clubber, and Drago... they all made you scared for Rocky.

If Lundgren couldn't pull it off in the audition, I would try someone like Vince Klyn (the bad guy in Cyborg). Maybe even Terry Crews, although the commercials have diluted him a bit.
    Thin sadistic villains seem to be the rage tho. Ben Linus, Joffery Baratheon, Gus Fring, T-Bag, even the Governor. Mr Burns even!
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I must respectively disagree. I think an intelligent, manipulative, somewhat charismatic leader like Neegan could do wonders in a world turned upside down by a zombie apocalypse. His over the top confidence would make him attractive to people like Dwight (to begin anyways) who will do anything to protect the people he loves (his wife). Think about how he uses Eugene's fear to his advantage. How Sasha has little choice but to kill herself rather than be twisted by Neegan. ...
    This^. I've said it before on this thread and I'll say it again: What makes this show interesting (along with other post-apocalyptic dramas of this sort) is that it strips society of the institutions that we all take for granted to keep things "civilized".

Given that situation and then insert a strongly authoritarian system which derives it's power from direct threat of personal harm or death, and I don't have a whole lot of illusions regarding how quickly and how many people will abandon their ethics and fall in line for the sake of their own self-preservation and that of their loved ones.

It's actually Alexandria that is the anomaly that I have a hard time buying into, not the Saviors.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would maybe buy this if they weren't 18-24 months removed from normal society. What makes the Saviors (and Garbage people too) so unrealistic is that they give the impression they have been doing it this way for decades, not months.
    They haven't been uncivilized long enough to completely change the way they did.
    Ever heard the old axiom that "A given society is nine meals away from a revolution" (typically attributed to writer/journalist Alfred Henry Lewis)?

An exaggeration perhaps, but the point is that people's drive to fulfill their basic immediate needs will tend to overcome their more civilized tendencies, the more dire the need the more rapidly it will occur.

People adapt to survival situations pretty quickly because if they don't, they tend not to survive. That's what "Stockholm Syndrome" is all about.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I would maybe buy this if they weren't 18-24 months removed from normal society. What makes the Saviors (and Garbage people too) so unrealistic is that they give the impression they have been doing it this way for decades, not months.
    They haven't been uncivilized long enough to completely change the way they did.
    Are they only 18-24 months in? I mean I guess Judith may only be close to two? Add in 9 months and however long it took for mom to let her husbands best friend slip one past the goaltender.

I just figured it was longer. But I think we're atleast close to 3 years in ... no?

Plenty of time for the "new reality" to set in.

All about suspension of disbelief for me I guess.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Are they only 18-24 months in? I mean I guess Judith may only be close to two? Add in 9 months and however long it took for mom to let her husbands best friend slip one past the goaltender.

I just figured it was longer. But I think we're atleast close to 3 years in ... no?

Plenty of time for the "new reality" to set in.

All about suspension of disbelief for me I guess.
    Ya, when they got to Alexandria they were only through 4 seasons (on their travels they experienced their first winter). So ya roughly 18-24 months since Rick woke up.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

[QUOTE=2014olympicgold;1755455]Ya, when they got to Alexandria they were only through 4 seasons (on their travels they experienced their first winter). So ya roughly 18

WOW! Seems like too much has happened in that amount of time. Again, suspension of disbelief! lol

Dobber Sports Titan

[QUOTE=havanablast21;1755639]
    Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Ya, when they got to Alexandria they were only through 4 seasons (on their travels they experienced their first winter). So ya roughly 18

WOW! Seems like too much has happened in that amount of time. Again, suspension of disbelief! lol
    They really doll up the "nature has taken over" on the sets so i think it looks like it's been longer, but i'm pretty sure it's at around 2yrs now.

Someone did the math and after episode Coda (Beth gets shot), it's been 514days then.
    https://moviepilot.com/posts/2592317

Dobber Sports Titan

October 22nd is the episode they better nail because so many ppl will be done watching the series if it's not good.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    October 22nd is the episode they better nail because so many ppl will be done watching the series if it's not good.
    lol... I think they still have a decent length of leash. considering how they started earlier in the year.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    lol... I think they still have a decent length of leash. considering how they started earlier in the year.
    I've talked to a lot of people who said they'll likely not watch it nearly as intensely (8:55pm on sunday ready to watch with their snacks), and if the first episode isn't good 2-3 of my friends are just done with the show.

I'm legit only watching for JDM. He's saved the show for me

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'll be watching this season opener... and TBH... likely the season finale and opener after that.

Then again, I was a late comer. I binge watched seasons 1 - 4 before I caught up so I haven't invested the same overall time as those who jumped on board at the very beginning. The show still very much scratches the itch for me.

Dobber Sports Master

Negan comes out of the door, then... BAM BAMBAM BAMABAM BAMBAMBAMBAM BAM BAMAMABAM! He's dead. Why in the name of **** did they not just shoot the prick when he comes outside? Him and all his cronies should all have been dead right there.

Dobber Sports Titan

Never got why we have all these weird background guys, and not one US Military/Ex-Military guy who could just sit on a building waiting for Negan to step outside to just snipe him.

Or throw a grenade at him....or run up to the door when they didnt know they were there yet and set up the dynamite.

"I'm going to count, 10, 9, 8, 7," BAM BAM BAM BAM. misses every shot...

Dobber Sports Titan

Interestingly, the reviews for FTWD for this past season are surprisingly good. I had abandoned that show and kept watching WD.
    I think I made the wrong choice.
    Ya people i've talked to said FTWD started to be good recently

Ironically I feel like the Red Machete spin off is going to be more interesting then WD.

Also, The baby is now a child, but Maggie isn't more prego's. Whats with this?!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Negan comes out of the door, then... BAM BAMBAM BAMABAM BAMBAMBAMBAM BAM BAMAMABAM! He's dead. Why in the name of **** did they not just shoot the prick when he comes outside? Him and all his cronies should all have been dead right there.
    I mean seriously. Lazy writing? This was a glaring error in my opinion. Obviously, they couldn't just kill off Negan, but they could have factored that into the scene, where Rick couldn't pull the trigger. Pull that chickenshite turncoat in front of him or an "innocent" wife, so that they would provide at least some reason why he didn't shoot.

I love the characters, but some of the writing just turned me off a little.

I spent much of FTWD hoping that the zombies would win and at least some of the characters are getting killed. Some of the characters are growing on me, so I'm sticking with it.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket