Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Also I don't recall NOTLD ever specifying what created the zombies. If your a director or writer for a show like this, even if you follow the Romero model for zombies there is room to explore your own path as it relates to the creation of the zombies.

Little things I didn't think about last night before I posted that.
    It was revealed that the reanimation was the result of radiation from a fallen satellite. Living people only turned if bitten by the reanimated dead or by another bitten human who subsequently turned. FYI!

Dobber Sports Star

What a great episode that was. One of my favourite's in the series so far. Most of the characters are great. I couldn't give a damn about Lori right now though. It was cool that they skipped ahead a little bit.

I wish this was available in HD where I live Is there an AMC HD in Amurica?
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by gfhyde View Post
    What a great episode that was. One of my favourite's in the series so far. Most of the characters are great. I couldn't give a damn about Lori right now though. It was cool that they skipped ahead a little bit.

I wish this was available in HD where I live Is there an AMC HD in Amurica?
    It's HD on DirecTv down here, which is what I have. A lot depends on the provider and what package(s) you have though.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Icon

One thing that I don't understand - if a bite is so infectious, why doesn't all the zombie blood flying around infect anyone? It would surely get into the bloodstream via eyes/mouth or even through pores. Only saliva can transmit it?

And if everyone is already infected, what difference does a zombie-bite make? Maybe the virus is dormant in humans and the active virus triggers it? But that still doesn't solve the blood issue..
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah... it would be great if they actually get into a better reason for the virus getting out there.
    (Does that happen in the comic books?)

I'm actually currently reading a book called FEED (I think horrorfan read it). I'm not terribly fond of the storyline of the book so far, but what they did well was to at least give a really plausible sub-story about how the virus got into the world to begin with (which was airborne, though I won't give any more info to not spoil).

Anyways, I have such a LOVE-HATE affair with The Walking Dead.
    I absolutely love the show... but the acting of the main characters is pretty bad.
    Oh, if only the had a better Rick and a better Lori. Gawd, I can't stand those two.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; October 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    One thing that I don't understand - if a bite is so infectious, why doesn't all the zombie blood flying around infect anyone? It would surely get into the bloodstream via eyes/mouth or even through pores. Only saliva can transmit it?

And if everyone is already infected, what difference does a zombie-bite make? Maybe the virus is dormant in humans and the active virus triggers it? But that still doesn't solve the blood issue..
    totally... if you get bit but don't die... you should be fine?
    Unless the zombies also have venomous qualities which cause you to die of poisoning??? that seems to be how they treat the story (without spoiling episodes for those who haven't watched).
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by icevenom View Post
    totally... if you get bit but don't die... you should be fine?
    Unless the zombies also have venomous qualities which cause you to die of poisoning??? that seems to be how they treat the story (without spoiling episodes for those who haven't watched).
    One of the main constructs of zombie universes is that you don't ask such questions because doing so would unearth an endless rabbit-hole of questions. For instance, do zombies digest? We've seen numerous examples on this show of how they don't but if that's the case then how does their body undergo the cellular respiration necessary to move, etc. Also, do zombies shit? Do they breathe? It's endless.

The big problem I had is that the show sort of brought up the question of how the zombie apocalypse came about, how it is spread and how they are all currently infected and they did so with very strong hints at the end of the first season of eventually providing answers. That's not what this show is about. Not even close. It's about guts and gore.

If I had to venture a guess however, I'd say there are two strains of this virus; the original, which would cause you to get sick, die, and eventually turn into a zombie. The second strain merely lies dormant until you die, which is why only those who died later on in the zombie apocalypse rose back to life.

As for why the blood apparently doesn't infect anyone, well I'd have to say that this is a universe where people are HIGHLY impervious to cuts and scrapes so there are basically no open wounds. Blood in this universe also splatters in a very strange way that it somehow avoids entering any body cavities such as the eyes, mouth, nose and ears.

We know that this blood is apparently infectious, which is why they check each other for scratches. It's just next to impossible to actually get one in this universe.

But ultimately, if you can't keep from asking these questions, or even more pressing questions like how the most dull and annoying people are the only survivors of this zombie apocalypse then you aren't going to enjoy this show.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    One of the main constructs of zombie universes is that you don't ask such questions because doing so would unearth an endless rabbit-hole of questions. For instance, do zombies digest? We've seen numerous examples on this show of how they don't but if that's the case then how does their body undergo the cellular respiration necessary to move, etc. Also, do zombies shit? Do they breathe? It's endless.

The big problem I had is that the show sort of brought up the question of how the zombie apocalypse came about, how it is spread and how they are all currently infected and they did so with very strong hints at the end of the first season of eventually providing answers. That's not what this show is about. Not even close. It's about guts and gore.

If I had to venture a guess however, I'd say there are two strains of this virus; the original, which would cause you to get sick, die, and eventually turn into a zombie. The second strain merely lies dormant until you die, which is why only those who died later on in the zombie apocalypse rose back to life.

As for why the blood apparently doesn't infect anyone, well I'd have to say that this is a universe where people are HIGHLY impervious to cuts and scrapes so there are basically no open wounds. Blood in this universe also splatters in a very strange way that it somehow avoids entering any body cavities such as the eyes, mouth, nose and ears.

We know that this blood is apparently infectious, which is why they check each other for scratches. It's just next to impossible to actually get one in this universe.

But ultimately, if you can't keep from asking these questions, or even more pressing questions like how the most dull and annoying people are the only survivors of this zombie apocalypse then you aren't going to enjoy this show.
    I was the one that opened this particular can of worms. Rather apropos in light of my sig.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

My favorite piece of zombie fiction so far, regardless of if it's movies, TV, games or literature is the novel World War Z and it's not even close. Right now it seems like the movie version will butcher the book and I'm leaning towards not even watching it.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Icon

Yeah I know you have to take the whole show with a grain of salt and they really aren't too concerned with technical details/depth, but you can't help thinking about these things when watching. There are a lot of little things that really take away from it if you are overly concerned with stuff like that.

I agree on the two different strains/types of the virus explanation - kind of like HIV/AIDS. The bite from an actively infected carrier triggers the dormant virus - that's a simple but satisfactory explanation for it.

I do enjoy the show But I think its about more than just the gore and graphic imagery. They do need to carry the storyline towards answering the big question you mentioned, md - where the virus originated and how it got out.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Administrator

Yeah I know you have to take the whole show with a grain of salt and they really aren't too concerned with technical details/depth, but you can't help thinking about these things when watching. There are a lot of little things that really take away from it if you are overly concerned with stuff like that.

I agree on the two different strains/types of the virus explanation - kind of like HIV/AIDS. The bite from an actively infected carrier triggers the dormant virus - that's a simple but satisfactory explanation for it.

I do enjoy the show But I think its about more than just the gore and graphic imagery. They do need to carry the storyline towards answering the big question you mentioned, md - where the virus originated and how it got out.
    See but I feel like they are at the point where the show is beyond repair in terms of big picture things. Yeah, they can keep progressing the story but the only way they could get us to REALLY buy in is by killing off 90% of the characters they have now and starting off with better actors/characters. If they could at least get us to buy into the characters then they could drive a real story beyond upping the ante in terms of killing zombies.

I like what they've done with Michone so far and we will see what comes of these ***SPOILERS*** new people they're about to meet in the prison.

I think that the single biggest **** up this show made was when they introduced those outsiders in the bar and didn't keep them around in some capacity. How good was that episode? How good were those scenes with the two guys from ?Philly? I think it was? The skinny guy stole every one of those scenes. He was such a good character and actor. Why couldn't they have kept him around in some capacity? Gotten more than one episode out of him? These are things the show needs to be doing to keep the story interesting. Because answering questions is going to take us down the LOST spiral. We don't want to go there... trust me.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Star

I like that can of zombie worms good and open. I like all these questions As long as they don't take away from the show :P

I am genuinely surprised that no one's been zombified through blood in the eye ball (a la 28 Days Later?) or however else.
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    My favorite piece of zombie fiction so far, regardless of if it's movies, TV, games or literature is the novel World War Z and it's not even close. Right now it seems like the movie version will butcher the book and I'm leaning towards not even watching it.
    Isn't that what happens to most books?
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

See but I feel like they are at the point where the show is beyond repair in terms of big picture things. Yeah, they can keep progressing the story but the only way they could get us to REALLY buy in is by killing off 90% of the characters they have now and starting off with better actors/characters. If they could at least get us to buy into the characters then they could drive a real story beyond upping the ante in terms of killing zombies.

I like what they've done with Michone so far and we will see what comes of these ***SPOILERS*** new people they're about to meet in the prison.

I think that the single biggest **** up this show made was when they introduced those outsiders in the bar and didn't keep them around in some capacity. How good was that episode? How good were those scenes with the two guys from ?Philly? I think it was? The skinny guy stole every one of those scenes. He was such a good character and actor. Why couldn't they have kept him around in some capacity? Gotten more than one episode out of him? These are things the show needs to be doing to keep the story interesting. Because answering questions is going to take us down the LOST spiral. We don't want to go there... trust me.
    You saing it is the opposite of dragon ball? They don't drag things out enough?... atleast the cool character parts...

On another note, Daryl is bad arse

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by icevenom View Post
    Isn't that what happens to most books?
    Not all of them. I think High Fidelity is awesome in both novel and movie form for example.

But World War Z is written as a documentary/interview collection after a worldwide zombie outbreak and the narrator talks to countless people. There is no main protagonist, instead you plop down here and there all over the globe to "listen" to the stories of survivors and it's all woven together chronologically. The movie version will have a main protagonist during the start of the outbreak. If you were to properly convert the book to screen form you'd need at least a full 24 episode season on TV, probably double or triple that to tell it all. So World War Z will be raped thoroughly in the movie version.
    GO WINGS!