Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PIM/Hits/Blocks league - sleepers?

The Wolverine

Default PIM/Hits/Blocks league - sleepers?

For something different, I've joined a points league where the only categories counted are PIM, hits and blocked shots. PIM are worth two and the others are worth one. There are 13 teams joined so far and it might be it or one/two more at a maximum. We start 12F and 6D with five bench.

Being an autodraft I've gone back over the last two years' worth of fantasy points and ranked accordingly, making some adjustments on players I like, gaps between tiers, injuries, previous 'success' etc. So, right now I have a decent list and should have a reasonable squad assuming most others have ranked close to what I have done (200+).

However, what I would like from you guys are suggestions of guys that may be underrated in these categories e.g. rookies that may 'impress', guys that should get more playing time and their style suits this setup etc. I'd like to add them to my rankings at the stage where the points start to level off a bit, so they may end up among my last starters or on my bench.

Please keep in mind that even 'no name' guys that have produced in this setup are already covered and likely in my rankings already. But happy for you to fire out some names for me to consider and check.

Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well last year Zac Rinaldo was a huge sleeper pick but probably a lot less now.

Kassian (both Zack and Matt).
    Greg Zanon is a great option not too many are aware of that gets hits/PIM.
    I know a lot of people have been talking about this guy Torey Krug on Chicago that could get some of what you're looking for.
    Max Lapierre is a pretty solid option
    Colby Armstrong could be another option depending on how deep this league is...a lot of people have forgotten about him because he has gotten injured so often.

Those are guys that immediately come to mind. If I can think of more I'll add them to this list.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Well last year Zac Rinaldo was a huge sleeper pick but probably a lot less now.

Kassian (both Zack and Matt).
    Greg Zanon is a great option not too many are aware of that gets hits/PIM.
    I know a lot of people have been talking about this guy Torey Krug on Chicago that could get some of what you're looking for.
    Max Lapierre is a pretty solid option
    Colby Armstrong could be another option depending on how deep this league is...a lot of people have forgotten about him because he has gotten injured so often.

Those are guys that immediately come to mind. If I can think of more I'll add them to this list.
    Thanks bondon. Yeah some of those guys are already on my list (Rinaldo - one of the best last season, Zanon, Lapierre, Kassian, just Zack not Matt though) - they've had success before so when ranking by fantasy points they are up there. I've added the others at the bottom of my rankings for now. Is that Krug on Boston or Marcus Kruger on Chicago? Though Krug is not in the database.
    Last edited by horrorfan; September 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Thanks bondon. Yeah some of those guys are already on my list (Rinaldo - one of the best last season, Zanon, Lapierre, Kassian, just Zack not Matt though) - they've had success before so when ranking by fantasy points they are up there. I've added the others at the bottom of my rankings for now. Is that Krug on Boston or Marcus Kruger on Chicago? Though Krug is not in the database.
    Oops, I think it's the one on Boston lol. Sorry my bad. I don't know too much about Krug other than what I've heard from people on these boards. Here's a blurb from hockeysfuture

Torey Krug is a small puck-moving defenseman with a big heart. Most undersized defenseman are offense first, but that is not the case with Krug who will do whatever it takes to win; block a shot, take a hit to make a play, or battle in the corners.

I could have sworn there was a guy on Chicago people were talking about though (other than Dan Carcillo). I'll do some digging and see if I can find.

Edit: Ah got it, Brandon Bollig. He played 18 games last year. (Plus he has a great first name ) haha.
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=93902

Marc Andre Bourdon is another decent option for Hits/Blocks on Philly...he'll have more opportunity with all the injuries in Philly.
    Last edited by bondon; September 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Oops, I think it's the one on Boston lol. Sorry my bad. I don't know too much about Krug other than what I've heard from people on these boards. Here's a blurb from hockeysfuture

I could have sworn there was a guy on Chicago people were talking about though (other than Dan Carcillo). I'll do some digging and see if I can find.

Edit: Ah got it, Brandon Bollig. He played 18 games last year. (Plus he has a great first name ) haha.
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=93902

Marc Andre Bourdon is another decent option for Hits/Blocks on Philly...he'll have more opportunity with all the injuries in Philly.
    Cool man, thanks, appreciate it. Yep, great name.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Mike Weber D BUF - Has a good history of production in PIM/Hits/Blocks, but might slip under the radar due to injuries / sitting in the pressbox. Might not necessarily play that much next season either, but could be Top10 dman in your format if somehow happens to play close to a full season.

Ryan Garbutt C DAL - Played only 20 GP last season in a limited role, but hit totals were very nice on per game basis. Has a history of high PIM totals as well in previous seasons and with a 1-way contract seems to have a good chance to stick as a regular in DAL lineup.
    Last edited by temek; September 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Check out Brett Bulmer, will have to watch if he makes the Wild's bottom six though.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You might have Clayton Stoner on your list already. If not, he'd be one to watch. Potential for elite PIM and good hits and bs if he plays enough games.

The Wolverine

Thanks guys.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

use the one night tool and draft D from teams that do not play on the same night so you can get 8 or 9 D

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin1390 View Post
    use the one night tool and draft D from teams that do not play on the same night so you can get 8 or 9 D
    Thanks, though should have mentioned there's an 82 game maximum per position so I'll be limited on how often I use my bench. That being said, a bunch of these guys I'm sure will get a few bumps and bruises and miss some games so it might be ok.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

For a little bit of something outside the box, you can look at home team advantages for hits and blocks. They're very subjective arena to arena. You can apply multipliers to players that are changing teams. A big one to note is Steve Ott. Dallas players had a ton of hits called at home versus on the road. Ott's move to Buffalo, who is much more conservative in giving out "hits", will drop his hits total by ~44 based solely on changing his home arena. This is based on his 308 full season pace last season, divided by Dallas' multiplier of 1.08 and multiplied by Buffalo's multiplier of 0.93

Multipliers (based on 50% influence of home arena and 50% influence of neutral arena which represents 41 home games and 41 away games respectively):

Team, Hits, Blocks

CHICAGO, 1.20, 0.95
    PHOENIX, 1.15, 1.03
    FLORIDA, 1.13, 0.98
    TORONTO, 1.11, 1.13
    WASHINGTON, 1.11, 1.03
    DETROIT, 1.09, 0.93
    DALLAS, 1.08, 1.12
    LOS ANGELES, 1.06, 0.92
    VANCOUVER, 1.06, 1.05
    PHILADELPHIA, 1.06, 1.01
    COLUMBUS, 1.05, 0.92
    ANAHEIM, 1.04, 1.01
    NY ISLANDERS, 1.03, 1.02
    OTTAWA, 1.01, 1.01
    WINNIPEG, 1.00, 0.96
    SAN JOSE, 0.99, 1.11
    TAMPA BAY, 0.99, 1.02
    MONTREAL, 0.99, 1.12
    NY RANGERS, 0.97, 1.01
    BOSTON, 0.95, 0.91
    CAROLINA, 0.94, 1.09
    BUFFALO, 0.93, 0.93
    PITTSBURGH, 0.92, 1.06
    NASHVILLE, 0.91, 0.94
    ST LOUIS, 0.91, 1.00
    COLORADO, 0.90, 1.00
    MINNESOTA, 0.89, 0.93
    EDMONTON, 0.86, 1.13
    NEW JERSEY, 0.86, 0.77
    CALGARY, 0.83, 0.91

Hits show more of a variation than blocks, but both are significant in some cases. New Jersey is extremely stingy in giving out blocked shots to their players, and Chicago will give their players a hit if they so much as makes a mean face at an opposing player.

Administrator

A few that come to mind:

Derek Dorsett
    Marc-Andre Bourdon
    Andrew Shaw
    Jay Harrison
    Marcus Foligno
    Dan Carcillo
    Deryk Engelland
    Brian Boyle
    Zack Smith
    Tim Gleason
    Ryan White
    Brandon Prust

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Just a follow-up to my last post, but Dennis Wideman is another one that will see a big hit to his value. His estimated 100/130 values for hits and blocks gets knocked down to 75/115. This is based on the arena change from Washington to Calgary. Obviously there are other factors such as playing time, teammates, etc to consider.

The Wolverine

Thanks guys, very much appreciated. The commish has decided to hold off on drafting for now so I'll have a bit more time to tweak the rankings.