Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Rocky Horror Roto Show 2012/13

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Not that it matters but I have Ogie at 118 and Coutures at 115. Though it's purely on a per game basis and positional max games over/under could shift it in either direction so it's anyone's game.

Most importantly though, I have Ville at 83.

Should be an exciting finish.
    Wow - mine is also on per game but category by category with the same slop not accounted for in FOW and Blocks - dramatic difference for Couture. Need to recheck my numbers I guess. Maybe it's in goalie cats where I don't apply the per game factor.
    Last edited by Shoeless; April 15, 2013 at 6:44 PM.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Wow - mine is also on per game but category by category with the same slop not accounted for in FOW and Blocks - dramatic difference for Couture. Need to recheck my numbers I guess. Maybe it's in goalie cats where I don't apply the per game factor.
    Nah, 5 or so points considering the other factors isn't much of a difference. Plus, it's a snapshot, as both are likely to make tweaks along the way. What it really shows is that they are the frontrunners.

The Wolverine

A week to go, and quite the battle for the title:

1. Coutures Blocklagoon 122
    2. Ogie Ogrethorpe 121
    2. Army of Subbans 121
    4. A.Niityville Horrors 110
    5. Maaaaa-chete 106
    6. Recchident Evil 104
    7. Phaneufenstein 92.5
    8. Nightmare on Helm St 91.5
    9. Ville of the Damned 90.5
    10. Hillers Have Eyes 90
    11. Silence of the Stams 88
    12. House of 1000 Orpiks 82
    13. Skinner & Silent Bob 80
    14. Doan of the Dead 66.5

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I just snapped up every available BOS/OTT defensemen available on the wire.
    I am evil.
    (I hope the fantasy hockey gods don't punish me for this gluttony.)

The Wolverine

Yes you are.

I guess you'll have some strategic benchings then, or did you just pick them up so nobody else could? Not sure how much of an advantage though, given the busy night and achieving max games is (arguably) best applied on Saturday. Or at worst, on par if you have a full set each night.

The Wolverine

What a finish to the season. Congrats to Ogie Ogrethorpe on the title, which was pretty much assured after a massive Saturday night to pass Coutures Blocklagoon. Great season everyone, and look forward to next year. I'll be in touch in due course to discuss availability/settings etc for next year. Enjoy the playoffs! Here are the final standings:

1. Ogie Ogrethorpe 126.5
    2. Coutures Blocklagoon 123
    3. A.Niityville Horrors 113.5
    4. Recchident Evil 107
    5. Maaaaa-chete 103.5
    6. Army of Subbans 103
    7. Phaneufenstein 97
    8. Silence of the Stams 94.5
    9. Nightmare on Helm St 92.5
    10. Ville of the Damned 92
    11. Hillers Have Eyes 90
    12. House of 1000 Orpiks 81
    13. Skinner & Silent Bob 75.5
    14. Doan of the Dead 66.5

Dobber Sports Icon

Congrats Ogie.

Great league, can't wait to come back next year.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Congrats Ogie!
    His team threw down a 4G, 10A, +12 final night on Saturday.
    He led the league for one full day this year... the most important one!

For my team... 2 PIM (2pt swing) and +2 (3pt swing) would have done the trick.
    Can't beat a hot team though!!

Great season!
    The hockey-minds in this league are the best I've ever played against!!! Looking forward to next season already!

Dobber Sports Ace

A huge congratulations are in order for Ogie Oglethorp.

Good job.

This is an awesome league and I look forward to next season. We'll see how I do with some goalies in net - instead of the hockey stick I had laying across the crease...haha.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    A huge congratulations are in order for Ogie Oglethorp.

Good job.

This is an awesome league and I look forward to next season. We'll see how I do with some goalies in net - instead of the hockey stick I had laying across the crease...haha.
    And you still finished 0.5 points better than me. So, I guess a hockey stick laying across the crease was still better than Bryzgalov and Varlamov!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Well, for my team strategy, here is how I approached the draft.

Team: Coutures Blocklagoon

Pre-Draft Planning:
    1. I'm expecting the NHL to have a short season, if any.
    2. Win high-quantity categories. This is SOG/PIM/Hits/Blocks/FOW.
    3. Stream where the streaming is good.
    4. Use +/- as a tiebreaker.

Application
    1. Goalies
    I didn't take part in the goalie run (to be explained) and nabbed my lower-tier goalies in consecutive rounds 6,7,8 by snagging Pavelec, Anderson, and Nabokov. That's 81 wins (cat) & 4600 saves (cat). Teams that drafted only two elite goalies are unlikely to get those totals. Also, goalie stats fluctuate and I grabbed three guys with pretty poor years by GAA & SV%. The Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Isle bluelines are all young and improving - which means these goalies are unlikely to do as poorly. In a short year, there is even better randomness of being better than poor... so I liked this strategy. I basically drafted 3 #1 goalies so I could finish top half in W/SV. LAST YEAR, their GAA & SV% would probably place me last in both those categories... but knowing those categories fluctuate, I think it's better than redrafting a Lundqvist/Rinne/Quick and expecting those GAA & SV% to repeat.

Possible regrets:
    i) I passed over Niemi in round 4/5 to take Nash (LW) in 4.
    ii) I passed over Varlamov in round 5 to take Couture (C/LW) in 5.

2. Forwards
    My leagues last year tought me that high-quantity categories (SOG,PIM,FOW,BkS,Hits) are consistent and easy to win if you just dedicate yourself to drafting them. The easiest to win is FOW, by slotting top tier centres in your wing spots. With Zetterberg (C/LW), Couture (C/LW), and Vermette (C/LW), in addition to Tavares/E.Staal/O.Jokinen - I believe I'm a lock to be top 3 in FOW. I drafted 4 big goons in Dorsett/Konopka /Lapierre/Clarkson and that should give me a top 3 in PIM. (+ Konops and Lapierre rake FOW). Also, by drafting forwards in 13 of the first 16 rounds, I stocked 8 players with over 220 SOG, which is likely among the best in the league.

3. Defense
    I drafted all five of my defensemen in the last 5 rounds and intend to stream these guys all year. The league has unlimited transactions & daily lineups, which means I'll be throwing new Hits/BkS guys in daily on D. Other teams that drafted scoring defensemen will be forced to hold them out of fear of having them plucked if dropped. If I roster a 100 hit/100 BkS D-man every day, it's the same as having a 200 hit/200 BkS D-man play every other day. So, really... adding up the quantity totals of my D-men in a predictive model is highly skewed, because I'll do much much better than the guys that are there now.

4. Good players on good teams.
    Whenever I had a choice to make between two skaters, I hedged towards the one on the better team/line. People see +/- with a lot of randomness, but good players on good teams are going to do well in +/-. Eric Staal's (2nd round pick) is not going to be -20 this year and Rick Nash (4th round pick) will likely be a big PLUS player as well. Olli Jokinen's +/- should even be much better playing a top 2C spot in Winnipeg. I even drafted several tough guys on solid teams like Lapierre in VAN, B.Boyle in NYR, Clarkson in NJ. My biggest goon is Derek Dorsett on CBJ and that could hurt bad... but with a depleted CBJ team, he may even see top 6 minutes!!

Yesterday I gave my team a C-... but after looking it over, I like it quite a bit.
    I'd give myself a B and expect to finish 3rd-5th out of the 14 teams.

Just looking over my start-of-year draft-analysis... it was bang on.
    I'd have to give myself a final grade of A, finishing 2nd.

In the high-quantity categories, I finished:
    1st/14 SOG
    3rd/14 PIM
    3rd/14 HIT
    1st/14 BLK
    1st/14 FOW

My goalies indeed outperformed their previous year expectations.
    Until he got injured, Derek Dorsett was indeed a top 6 player for CBJ.
    +/- was good.

I have absolutely zero regrets on my strategy in this league.
    I tracked myself at 1st place all season in scoring/GP... only being passed on the final night of games by a team that was incredibly hot.
    Had all managers got in their 680-682 skater GP, my score of 123pts is enough for first.
    Overall - very happy with my 2nd place finish considering this group of intelligent managers!!!

This draft model will probably be template for years-to-come in leagues like this... well, except that I expect others to start using it now!
    Last edited by Pengwin7; May 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM.

The Wolverine

This draft model will probably be template for years-to-come in leagues like this... well, except that I expect others to start using it now!
    Maybe...maybe not.

The Wolverine

In case managers are on here more than their emails, the Yahoo group I sent you is live with topics of discussion and polls regarding settings for next season. Please join and have your say! As it's inevitable that we may not be as focused on hockey once the season ends, it would be useful to get involved while things are still fresh. Thanks.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    In case managers are on here more than their emails, the Yahoo group I sent you is live with topics of discussion and polls regarding settings for next season. Please join and have your say! As it's inevitable that we may not be as focused on hockey once the season ends, it would be useful to get involved while things are still fresh. Thanks.

Could you add a weblink here?
    (I always seen to delete my emails and then I've lost the link.)

The Wolverine

Could you add a weblink here?
    (I always seen to delete my emails and then I've lost the link.)
    I'll send you a PM with it (don't delete it! ) - rather not post it publicly.