Thread: Ford F150 or Toyota Tundra - rep

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Ford F150 or Toyota Tundra - rep

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a new 2012 truck from the dealership this weekend and I'm kind of torn between the Ford F150 and the Toyota Tundra. I'm not using this vehicle for towing so I'm not concerned about power, but more so about quality. If any of you prettyboys out there drive one of these trucks, please chime in with your opinion of the vehicle.

Things I'm looking for would be:
    fuel efficiency
    4x4 handling
    double cab or super cab (4 doors)
    price
    comfort
    overall multi-cat value
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a new 2012 truck from the dealership this weekend and I'm kind of torn between the Ford F150 and the Toyota Tundra. I'm not using this vehicle for towing so I'm not concerned about power, but more so about quality. If any of you prettyboys out there drive one of these trucks, please chime in with your opinion of the vehicle.

Things I'm looking for would be:
    fuel efficiency
    4x4 handling
    double cab or super cab (4 doors)
    price
    comfort
    overall multi-cat value
    I can't comment on either of these trucks but I do own a Ford and have most of my life. Simply put, the quality isn't there. I currently own a 2008 Ford Escape and it only has 50,000 KMs yet it is already starting to rust in the wheel wells, the CD player has already crapped out and the warranty I received when I purchased it brand new was 3-yr or 60,000 KMs...I'm not sure if that has changed or not but all of my problems are coming after the warranty has run out.

I've heard very favourable things about the quality of Toyota. I simply have chosen Ford because of cost. It wasn't a wise choice!
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Padawan

I should also mention that mechanically I've had the shocks repaired on it. It may sound like I drive this SUV hard but I really don't. In fact it's my wife primary vehicle and a daily driver in the city...(no off-roading)...anyways if given the choice and price wasn't an issue I'd 100% go Toyota.
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Genius

I've never owned a truck, and likely never will, but I'll throw in a token vote for the Tundra, basically because Toyota makes a beautiful truck, in my opinion (I've always liked their trucks best). Toyota makes a higher quality vehicle, too, typically, although I'm not sure if that's the case with Trucks. I'm generally an import guy when it comes to cars, but I know that the American companies make great trucks that last forever (GMC's, at least, from the little that I know).

So yeah, I vote Tundra, but I don't know what I'm talking about.

Good luck, Gain!

Dobber Sports Sage

I own a Tacoma and the quality is considerably better than my 2001 F150. And my dad has always been a ford guy and he is not getting another. Just too many major repairs on the Fords.

Love my Tacoma and will get another someday!!

Dobber Sports Wizard

I don't own either, but all i've ever owned was a truck. Quality for me would be the Tundra.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Pro

Default yota

I just went through the whole process,
    I was intrigued by the new ecoboost f150. Its a nice truck to drive has all the bells and whistles, plus there was the employee pricing event.
    While the salesman was showing me the truck he couldn't get the step on the tailgate to work so had to show me on the a different truck, pretty much made my mind up right then. I have a couple of friends who bought them and they really like them so i tried taking it for a test drive. Couldn't get over the tailgate thing.

I bought the Tundra. No frills and its burns more fossil fuel, but i really liked my old tundra - 180,000 km and I never had to do anything other than regular servicing.

I do haul stuff and use it for hunting/fishing.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I am on my 5th SuperCrew (4 full doors) F-150 (2012) and I swear by them. There is not another truck on the market that has the amount of space in the 2nd row like the F-150.

Four of them have been 4X4 and have performed very well in Michigan winters and hauled a few unfortunates out of the ditch and my Ottawa switcher truck out of the mud more than once. 4X4 low really digs in and doesn't break traction easily.

My city mileage is about 16-17 and highway is 18-20 on average. Less in the city if I am using E85 then it is about 15 mpg.

I have not had to take even one of them into the shop for anything other than an oil change. (knock on wood) Had this one rear ended by a Focus and lets just say I am glad that I didn't own the Focus... I would be surprised if they didn't total her car and my truck took about $1600 in repairs and is as good as new.

No... I do not work for Ford and honestly used to swear by GM until the quality started to decline and the cost went up. I can honestly say that I have not regretted having one of these trucks.

Hope this helps.

Dobber Sports Stud

I grew up hating Fords. My father has been to court twice with them. Once over a rear axle that broke away on the highway and once for his entire paint job falling/flaking off. He settled each time. Shame on him for getting the second one. Needless to say I will never buy a Ford product.

I have a couple of employees with the Tundra, and they a pleased with them. Both complain it is underpowered, but say it is comfortable and reliable. Oddly both are women.

I'm assuming Chevy, Dodge and Nissan are out?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRamrod View Post
    I grew up hating Fords. My father has been to court twice with them. Once over a rear axle that broke away on the highway and once for his entire paint job falling/flaking off. He settled each time. Shame on him for getting the second one. Needless to say I will never buy a Ford product.

I have a couple of employees with the Tundra, and they a pleased with them. Both complain it is underpowered, but say it is comfortable and reliable. Oddly both are women.

I'm assuming Chevy, Dodge and Nissan are out?
    underpowered? my 5.7L has more power than I need, 300 + hp

A big concern with the new ford ecoboost is its a new engine with a turbo,
    could be great and go forever but its new and has yet to stand the test of time.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports All-Star

This great info, thanks guys. I'll have to reload more rep for the rest of you tomorrow.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    This great info, thanks guys. I'll have to reload more rep for the rest of you tomorrow.
    I'd vote for the Tundra over the Ford. But this is coming from a Chevy Silverado owner. Buddy of mine at work owns a nice black Tundra, 4x4, sweet truck. He's had no issues thus far.

Don't discount the chevy badge. Mine is a '09, bought new, has 88,000km, and its needed only regular maintenance (oil etc)...

good luck w/your purchase.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    underpowered? my 5.7L has more power than I need, 300 + hp
    Ya I don't know, they both haul boats, sleds and other toys all year. Lots of horse power, but maybe a poor gear ratio?
    I have a 2012 Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi and it hauls completely different then the 5.7 Ram truck. Same engine, different setup for different uses.
    I don't know the Tundra very well.

I was always taught if your hauling crap, a diesel engine should always be your first choice.
    Last edited by TeamRamrod; September 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM.