Thread: Goalie Choices in a Lockout Shorterned Season

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Goalie Choices in a Lockout Shorterned Season

Question is: With the lockout already started, will a compressed schedule alter the way you draft goalies?

With a condensed schedule, will the backups play relatively more games because of the starters need breaks between games, thus bring up the values in backups?

Keepers league setup: 16 Teams and 25 players deep.

Dobber Sports Ninja

A compressed schedule would definitely make me lean towards nabbing the backups of the goalies that I currently own, especially if I'm going for the W this year and if my goalie is on a team that plans to be a playoff contender.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think it depends on how long the lockout goes for - if a long lockout I can actually see the starter getting a relatively larger percentage of starts, making the relative value of the backups less. For instance, with Lundqvist, the reason to rest him last year (and presumably this year) was to keep him fresher for the playoffs - with notably less games I can see him getting a greater percentage of the starts (even if this means less total games than he would have during a full season).

With a condensed schedule I also don't see as much time to spread out the standings so I can see more teams rolling with their big dog where they see a big discrpency betweenthe quality of their starter and their backup.

EDIT: My response is in the context of a shortened schedule - if an 82 game condensed schedule then yes, I see backups getting more starts. As the number of games gets reduced (from 82) I see starters actually increasing in value.
    Last edited by Chili con Carne; September 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don't think the NHL compresses the schedule in a shortened season, do they? I think starters become more likely to play a higher percentage of games and backups get less starts percentage wise.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yup, in a shortened season I'd be staying away from the backups or any potential platooning situations (ie: STL, WSH)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Sorry I was thinking of a condensed schedule...kind of like how the NBA saw some teams play three games in a row this past year I believe.

If it's just a shortened season then I'm definitely in agreement with the three above posters.