Thread: Fantasy Hockey Roto Mailbag - September 2012

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Default Fantasy Hockey Roto Mailbag - September 2012

As mentioned in the September PDF, the Roto Mailbag and Q&A is now open for business.

Since Angus and Dobber do a great job in tackling all fantasy hockey relevant questions through their mailbags, I'd like this one to be specifically geared towards rotisserie leagues (with multiple categories) or in reference to the Top 100 PDF.

I've always liked Jeff's set of rules, so I'll implement them here as well :

"1) no super long lists, please
    2) read rule one"

That said, fire away! I'll be answering questions Monday evening (EST).
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Ace

2nd team in signature. 10 team roto league including hits, blocked shots, pims.

Current D: Letang, Byfuglien, Green, Yandle, Suter, Wisniewski, Pitkanen, Ellis

Would you trade Byfuglien for Chara? Zdeno is older, but better +/-, hits, BS which are my weak areas.

Thanks.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I was wondering why there are no goalies in your top 100.

Dobber Sports Ace

What are some players whose trade value should rise over the course of a partial season lockout?
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Stud

Team and league in sig. Pick the group of 10 keepers you'd rather have...

A) Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Giroux, Marleau, Duchene, P. Kane, Letang, Yandle, Lundqvist

B) Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Hall, E. Kane, Kessel, Yakupov, Karlsson, Letang, Lundqvist
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

C - Crosby*, Malkin* (C/R), Tavares*, Giroux* (C/R)
    L - Duchene* (C/L),
    Marleau* (C/L), Galchenyuk (C/L), Ott (C/L), Lee (C/L)
    R - Kane* (C/R), St. Louis, Neil, Clutterbuck
    D - Yandle*, Carlson*, Gardiner, Gudas, Daley, Bieksa, Schenn
    G - Lundqvist*, Rinne, Kuemper

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    2nd team in signature. 10 team roto league including hits, blocked shots, pims.

Current D: Letang, Byfuglien, Green, Yandle, Suter, Wisniewski, Pitkanen, Ellis

Would you trade Byfuglien for Chara? Zdeno is older, but better +/-, hits, BS which are my weak areas.

Thanks.
    As you pointed out, in terms of individual stats :

Chara takes : plus/minus, hits, blocked shots
    Byfuglien takes : G, SOG, PPP
    Wash : A, PIM

In your situation, would I trade Chara for Byfuglien? Yes I would. As you mentioned, the three categories you need a boost in, big Z will help fill. Byfuglien may be younger, but Chara should still have at least three more seasons of monster production. That is your window to win. There are only a handful of players you can truly depend on for plus/minus and Chara is one of the best (one look at his track record will show you that much). As long as he delivers plus-20 campaigns (riding B2B plus-33 finishes), Chara is your go-to guy.

Don't get me wrong, Byfuglien is still a valuable asset in terms of goals, shots on goal, PPP, PIM etc... but you have no problem in those stats and the drop to Chara is not that much anyway (give or take 5 goals, 50 shots, 5 PPP).

I would feel confident trading for Chara. Good luck!
    Gates Imbeau

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I was wondering why there are no goalies in your top 100.
    Something I debated doing for a long time but have always delayed it. The reasons why I didn't include them from the start was due to the fact that DobberHockey had the Top Goalies list and Justin Goldman. If anyone was to give the best advice on goalies, it would be Goldman via TGG (and recently Goalie Post).

Now the reasons why I still haven't listed them, including Volume 3.0, is because if I ranked 10-15 goalies into the Top 100, that is the same amount of skaters going out. Something I didn't want to do. However, if I ever did expand the list, I would highly consider adding in goalies. Though for the time being, I am comfortable sticking to roto skaters.
    Gates Imbeau

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    What are some players whose trade value should rise over the course of a partial season lockout?
    My immediate response is Kesler. It may have been a career year, but in 2010-11, Kesler finished first overall in most extended category formats. Everyone remembers Corey Perry turning monster status after that 50 goal season, but in overall roto (standard six with hits and blocked shots) Kesler was the better player.

Like Perry, Kesler had a down year last season. Yet even then, Kesler finished higher in overall roto. Yes, Perry is a RW which automatically means he is favoured in positional requirement leagues. Just too many people have forgotten about Kesler.

The longer the lockout, the better it gets for Kesler who currently sits on the sidelines.

Other players worth mentioning are the players who are in "growth" mode (tagged with a blue R in the guide) as most will play in the AHL. Also keep an eye out for those that excel in other leagues. Regardless of competition level, points are points and poolies will surely overrate a few of the top names.
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    As you pointed out, in terms of individual stats :

Chara takes : plus/minus, hits, blocked shots
    Byfuglien takes : G, SOG, PPP
    Wash : A, PIM

In your situation, would I trade Chara for Byfuglien? Yes I would. As you mentioned, the three categories you need a boost in, big Z will help fill. Byfuglien may be younger, but Chara should still have at least three more seasons of monster production. That is your window to win. There are only a handful of players you can truly depend on for plus/minus and Chara is one of the best (one look at his track record will show you that much). As long as he delivers plus-20 campaigns (riding B2B plus-33 finishes), Chara is your go-to guy.

Don't get me wrong, Byfuglien is still a valuable asset in terms of goals, shots on goal, PPP, PIM etc... but you have no problem in those stats and the drop to Chara is not that much anyway (give or take 5 goals, 50 shots, 5 PPP).

I would feel confident trading for Chara. Good luck!
    Thanks GM Gates With the same team I can trade for Chara but keep Buff.

I trade Sharp, Suter, Yandle, Krejci
    For
    His Chara, Bergeron, Hamhuis

I know I give up a lot of talent, but I get a FOW leader in Bergeron, and Chara is a stud as you said. They all have good +/- ratings. I could pick up a d prospect like Dumna, Morrow, etc.
    Last edited by cdubb; September 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM.
    Semi-retired

Quote Originally Posted by rticinelli View Post
    Team and league in sig. Pick the group of 10 keepers you'd rather have...

A) Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Giroux, Marleau, Duchene, P. Kane, Letang, Yandle, Lundqvist

B) Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Hall, E. Kane, Kessel, Yakupov, Karlsson, Letang, Lundqvist
    This one is tough, but I'd say stick to what you have.

I would rather have Giroux, Tavares and Yandle over Ovechkin, Kessel and Karlsson.

Your league doesn't count SOG and Hits, so Ovechkin takes a dip and Giroux could challenge for the best player in this deal. While Tavares is a C, and Kessel a RW, Tavares is a much better option in terms of stats and trade value alone. Those two facts make up for the difference between Karlsson and Yandle.

Now it gets tough :

P. Kane, Marleau, and Duchene vs. Hall, E. Kane and Yakupov.

You want to win this season? Option A will do that for you no problem. On paper, side B seems much sexier, but the first group will get the job done. If you plan on being an aggressive trader, you could get a better return on investment with Hall, E. Kane and Yakupov, however P. Kane, Marleau and Duchene are suited for a stronger overall finish.

~

In the bigger picture, you would be essentially swapping strength on the wings, upgrading D, but losing a big piece at C.

LW : Marleau, Duchene
    RW : Giroux, P. Kane
    C : Tavares
    D : Yandle

LW : Ovechkin, Hall, E. Kane
    RW : Kessel, Yakupov
    D : Karlsson

There can easily be a strong argument for both sides, but in the end, like mentioned above, I'd stick to what you currently have.
    Gates Imbeau

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    Thanks GM Gates With the same team I can trade for Chara but keep Buff.

I trade Sharp, Suter, Yandle, Krejci
    For
    His Chara, Bergeron, Hamhuis

I know I give up a lot of talent, but I get a FOW leader in Bergeron, and Chara is a stud as you said. They all have good +/- ratings. I could pick up a d prospect like Dumna, Morrow, etc.
    I don't like the inclusion of Sharp in this deal.

While I could deal with Suter/Yandle for Chara/Hamhuis and a Krejci/Bergeron switch, adding Sharp throws the balance of the trade out of your favour. You would also be losing overall "trade value" in terms of what you could net from your mentioned players in other potential deals.

That said, I am a big fan of Sharp. He is a roto stud and obviously the best forward in this deal. I'd look to see if another one of your pieces could seal the deal such as Roy, Zajac, Vanek or Eriksson. Even then though, I'd like to see something coming your way. I know you mentioned Dumba or Morrow, but I'd focus on a "win now" piece.
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    This one is tough, but I'd say stick to what you have.

I would rather have Giroux, Tavares and Yandle over Ovechkin, Kessel and Karlsson.

Your league doesn't count SOG and Hits, so Ovechkin takes a dip and Giroux could challenge for the best player in this deal. While Tavares is a C, and Kessel a RW, Tavares is a much better option in terms of stats and trade value alone. Those two facts make up for the difference between Karlsson and Yandle.

Now it gets tough :

P. Kane, Marleau, and Duchene vs. Hall, E. Kane and Yakupov.

You want to win this season? Option A will do that for you no problem. On paper, side B seems much sexier, but the first group will get the job done. If you plan on being an aggressive trader, you could get a better return on investment with Hall, E. Kane and Yakupov, however P. Kane, Marleau and Duchene are suited for a stronger overall finish.

~

In the bigger picture, you would be essentially swapping strength on the wings, upgrading D, but losing a big piece at C.

LW : Marleau, Duchene
    RW : Giroux, P. Kane
    C : Tavares
    D : Yandle

LW : Ovechkin, Hall, E. Kane
    RW : Kessel, Yakupov
    D : Karlsson

There can easily be a strong argument for both sides, but in the end, like mentioned above, I'd stick to what you currently have.
    Thanks for the insight. I've been struggling with this decision for the last few weeks, which is why I decided that at the very least I would sit on my guys for the immediate future... see how some of the question marks (Ovechkin, Hall's health, E. Kane, Yakupov, etc) play out before making broad sweeping changes.

My only concern, and the reason I even considered moving guys like Giroux and Tavares in the first place, is that I don't want to get stuck with 6 keeper centers moving forward (I'm sure you figured that out). I think I lucked out this season with Yahoo giving Malkin and Giroux RW-eligibility, and Duchene LW-eligibility. I don't see the same thing happening beyond this season, which is where I think my current crop will get me in trouble.
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

C - Crosby*, Malkin* (C/R), Tavares*, Giroux* (C/R)
    L - Duchene* (C/L),
    Marleau* (C/L), Galchenyuk (C/L), Ott (C/L), Lee (C/L)
    R - Kane* (C/R), St. Louis, Neil, Clutterbuck
    D - Yandle*, Carlson*, Gardiner, Gudas, Daley, Bieksa, Schenn
    G - Lundqvist*, Rinne, Kuemper