Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Value Players

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Best Value Players

I was going through the forum today and saw nothing but "who to keep" and Trade offers and "Player X vs Y". So being a bit bored with that I decided to make this thread.

What players do you feel will drop past where they should or are undervalued for your league - The players that will end up being draft steals for their relative value.

Forwards:
    Getzlaf: After looking at a few draft rankings I was in shock to see how far down Getzlaf was. Yes the center position is deep and Getzlaf had a terrible year by his standards but to find him in the mid to late teens is absurd. I really hope people in my leagues view him as poorly as these rankings do. Last year he easily a 1st/2nd rounder and he is only 26. The Ducks shouldn't be as bad as they were last year either which will only help

B. Ryan: Another Duck and pretty much the same argument as Getzlaf. However I think Ryan has the potential to be an even greater value than Getzlaf, especially in limited roster leagues that count PPP's. Ryan's main issue was his lack of PPP last year, in leagues that have limited rosters and count PPP (Full season roto especially), people will be very hesitant of drafting Ryan. If Ryan can establish himself on the power play he has the potential to win leagues based on where people will be able to snag him.

Defense:
    Wisniewski: He couldn't have had a worse year last year: Suspension, Injury, CBJ. However, if you look at his per game stats he ranks extremely well in goals, assists, PIM, PPP, and BLKs - he is a roto beast outside of +/-. It is well known how bad the CBJ are and it is perceived that they will be worse next year now that they don't have Nash. If CBJ can turn it around (they are building heavily on defense which could help Wisniewski's +/-) Wisniewski is going to be a steal.

Yandle: His decline last year was certainly noticeable due to the rising of OEL but Yandle still has a ton of offensive skill and provided enough PIM and has decent +/- to keep his value elevated in roto leagues. With the departure of Whitney from the desert the power play will only run through the points (Yandle and OEL) even more.

Goalies:
    Bobrovsky: Once again the value placed on CBJ's players is going to be extremely low. Bobrovsky probably won't net you a ton of win but if you look at the Jackets defense there is a lot to like. Obviously Bobovsky would be a very late pick but how many people missed out on Mike Smith last year - a goalie playing in a strong defensive system. I'm not going to say Bobrovsky is going to have a year like Mike Smith did last year but there are a lot of positive signs saying he has a chance to have above average numbers and at an extremely cheap price.

Reimer: Reimer started the year on fire last year before his concussion. The Leafs also have a good, not great, but good defensive around him, and Burke has gone on record saying he wants his forwards to focus more on the defensive side of the game (to be fair what coach doesn't want that but the point was made either way). If Reimer can rebound and play like he did early last year with what appears to be an improved defensive philosophy you could have a steal on draft day.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thumbs up on your forwards & defense.

I'm not touching Bobrovsky. I think there are 5-10 backup goaltenders I'd rather own than any CBJ goalie.
    Reimer is interesting... but I just think the East is too competitive. Toronto hasn't really done any improving on the "defensive" side of the game.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

I'm not touching Bobrovsky. I think there are 5-10 backup goaltenders I'd rather own than any CBJ goalie.
    Reimer is interesting... but I just think the East is too competitive. Toronto hasn't really done any improving on the "defensive" side of the game.
    Oh I agree on the goalies, I would definitely rather own a bunch of back ups over these guys but I think that is exactly why there is potential value with these goalies. I plan on getting them late if I can and not starting them for a month until they prove my theory right.
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 3rtpaper View Post
    Oh I agree on the goalies, I would definitely rather own a bunch of back ups over these guys but I think that is exactly why there is potential value with these goalies. I plan on getting them late if I can and not starting them for a month until they prove my theory right.
    Potential value, yes.
    Nikita Filatov also has potential value for this year.

As for letting them sit on your bench for a month... sounds like a valuable wasted roster spot, IMO.
    If they are bad, nobody should draft them... and you can just be the first to the waiver wire to get them if they look good.

Holding a player just to prove a theory correct... mmm... I might pick another word to describe that strategy.
    I'm sending you some rep anyways for adding some discussible content to the boards while things are a bit slow.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I agree about Wiz.

However, Getz and Ryan are different stories. I don't think the Ducks made any changes that will help either of these two. Selanne is still around so Ryan won't get any PP time and the Ducks depth is still the worst in the league and Getzlaf will have to do everything next season again.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    I agree about Wiz.

However, Getz and Ryan are different stories. I don't think the Ducks made any changes that will help either of these two. Selanne is still around so Ryan won't get any PP time and the Ducks depth is still the worst in the league and Getzlaf will have to do everything next season again.
    totally agree with all of your points, except that i think even with the top-line carrying the biggest load, getzlaf can do better than last year. definitely not 80+ better, but better than 57 points. but still, i don't think even the most novice players would be drafting him with a 57 point season in mind, so undervalued may not be the best term for getzlaf.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

While ultimately true, you never can discount what an offseason can do to a team for improvement. They learned last year, it's possible they improve. Plus having a new coach could help them on that front.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Guys coming off injury plagued seasons will be pretty undervalued in our league. Guys like Goligoski, Enstrom, Myers
    Last edited by MJ Flex; September 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
    While ultimately true, you never can discount what an offseason can do to a team for improvement. They learned last year, it's possible they improve. Plus having a new coach could help them on that front.
    What I would give to be an overly optimistic leafs fan at the beginning of every season again... I miss those days *sigh*

Dobber Sports Ninja

Cool list man, I would toss in Henrik Zetterberg into that pile, especially in leagues that count SOG because I'm expecting a big bounceback year for him (and no I don't own him in any league).

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Cool list man, I would toss in Henrik Zetterberg into that pile, especially in leagues that count SOG because I'm expecting a big bounceback year for him (and no I don't own him in any league).
    I agree with the following statement. But I do own him in my pool.
    The guy finished with 44 points in the last 45 games. He'll bounce back to 70 at least.

David Perron is another player I'd add to this, seeing that he managed to score 42 points in 57 games.
    He could clear 60 in a full season, while being drafted pretty late.
    Last edited by bernjean; September 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM.
    15 teams full keeper league, NHL Salary cap + 10M$ (Cap hit)
    ROTO - Weekly lineups
    Cats : P, SOG, PPP, TKA, Hit, Blk, W, SV%
    12FW, 6D, 2G
    C: Eichel, Tavares, Rasmussen, Zacha
    W: Ehlers, Mantha, Caufield, Marner, Raymond, Tippett, Tuch
    D: Byram, Clifton, Fabbro, Hamilton, Hughes, Matheson, Schneider
    G: Grubauer, Forsberg, Francouz (minor eligible)

IR: Wilson, Couturier, Arvidsson, Chychrun

Dobber Sports Expert

Damn 3RTpaper, you beat me to it, this was my topic for my column this week out on Thursday...

I'll mention a few players in my notables and not from my main column...

Three C that were really down low in Yahoo! draft lists due to injury/decreased production were Lecavalier, Koivu and Stastny...

Vinny was on a 62 point and 233 SOG pace before missing some time. Also if you looked at his splits he was terrible on the road last campaign. 0.62 points per game compared to his career average of 0.80.

Koivu also missed a bit of time last campaign. Also new additions of Parise, Suter and Granlund should boost the support around him.

Stastny - the emergence of ROR really took a lot of the steam out of Stastny's sails. But he has the talent to put up 70 points if given the right situation... With Duchene and ROR there, I have a feeling Stastny gets moved $6.6 mil and can play the role of the number 1 C. I could see Burke making a play for him at the deadline.

RW were very thin near the end of the drafts for me...

Havlat missed a lot of the year, so he's a sleeper who could do well if he avoids the injury bug.

Voracek should see a bit more responsibility with Jagr leaving... but he has competition with Read that I don't know who's got the upper hand...

Doan is ranked very low as well, decent option for 50+ points and 225+ SOG.

LW there's a couple as well.

JVR in a new environment could flourish...

Andy Mc is a Hitch favourite, eventhough STL is a largely offense by committee team, Mc always seems to be immune from the time share... Injuries are once again a risk though.

Morrow is fairly low as well, but with that said there's a lot of offensive depth now in Dallas, Roy, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Whitney, Ryder and Morrow, so there's 7 50+ pointers and I don't know if there's enough points to spread around.

D there's a lot of options... a few of which were mentioned before.

Goli I think is a big candidate, not a lot of puck movers in Big D, and Goli should be the "go to" guy there.

Souray same type of deal, "go to" guy in Anaheim.

Salo new home in TB, with Stammy, Vinny, MSL there, if Salo gets on that PP with Carle could be a very dangerous unit.

EJ, same as Goli and Souray not a lot of competition for the number 1 PP QB gig there. Hejda, Zanon, Wilson, O'Brien, O'Byrne, Hunwick and EJ there, I don't know if there's going to be enough room for Elliott or Barrie to make the team. If they don't make the team, I don't really see any of the 6 other vets taking EJs PP TOI away from him...

G's there a few as well.

I like Crawford, this is what I wrote in the guide...

Prior to March 1st, Crawford had a stat line of 22-16-5, along with an uninspiring 2.94 GAA and .900 SV%, but that improved to 8-1-2, along with a respectable 1.85 GAA and .921 SV% during the final 11 contests of the regular season.

So if you look at his overall season, it wasn't great, but he did turn it around in the latter bit of the season... Very low risk as a #3 G given his draft position IMO.

Lindback is a big boom or bust candidate, if he plays well he could be the number 1 C on a decent team and you could get him on the cheap.

Nabby is another big one, Isles are improving, I don't know if they're a great team, but Nabby has always had the talent to do well. In a pretty weak Isles team he still churned out 2.55 and .914 numbers which is fairly respectable.

Theodore as long as Luongo isn't going to FLA, Theodore should get starts. FLA is rapidly improving as well. I don't know if he'll repeat last year's numbers, but should be good enough as a #3 support goalie...
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Expert

Forgot my favourite too...

In “non-contract years” he has posted a 243-278-95 (39.4% win rate) record, along with a run-of-the-mill .905 SP and an ordinary 2.84 GAA, but during “contract years”, he’s posted a remarkable 85-50-21 (54.5% win rate) record, an amazing .918 SP along with a dazzling 2.25 GAA.

Khabibulin
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gotlaid View Post

Andy Mc is a Hitch favourite, eventhough STL is a largely offense by committee team, Mc always seems to be immune from the time share... Injuries are once again a risk though.
    macdonald actually had the fourth most ice-time per game amongst blues forwrds last year. he just has more offensive skill than anyone else up front. if healthy, he would score 70 points and finally put to rest the misconception that nobody can eclipse 60 points on a hitchcock coached team...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Gotlaid View Post
    Damn 3RTpaper, you beat me to it, this was my topic for my column this week out on Thursday...
    Sorry! I am sure it won't steal your thunder though.. the forum just lacked substance for a bit so I figured I would step in.

Fantastic list I agree with a lot of those they are excellent later round guys who have seemed to have lost their luster over the past few years.
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2013 - 3rd