Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2012 DobberHockey 3-Tiered Challenge

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    1) Thursday midnight Eastern. Teams are then locked a minute past midnight (Friday morning).

2) FAAB - Think of it this way : You have $100 to spend on waivers and FA. Bids are weekly. You can put in a claim of $0 or $25 (heck even $100!) on any available player. Should you win the bid (even with a zero dollar bid) you win that player and can place him on your team (dropping another of course - unless through IR).

Example : I bid...

Player A - $0
    Player B - $0
    Player C - $25
    Player D - $9

Someone else bids...

Player A - $1
    Player C - $20
    Player D - $10

Results :

I get Player B at $0 and Player C at $25.
    He gets Player A at $1 and Player D at $10.

Again, bids are weekly so it gives a chance for everyone to place a bid. You can either go for the player of the week / hot streak or find hidden gems. Your money, your call.

Hope this helps...
    Of course that comes with a 24% rollback, correct?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hope this helps...
    It helps about half-way there.

An important function is when do we see the bid player on our roster?
    We have to see the new player on our roster Thursday in order to include them in our starting line-up for the coming week (Friday-->).

So, let's say it's Monday.
    Let's say I want to drop JoeSchmoe (demoted to AHL - no stats).
    I bid $4 on JackSmack (on Monday).

i) When will the league see the winner for JackSmack?
    and...
    ii) If I don't win the bid, would I still have time to acquire another player?
    (This depends on the days these bids/waivers are processed.)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Not going to lie, when I did the Dobber League last year I found it absurdly complicated. Hopefully transferring to yahoo's bidding system is smoother this year.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

To my understanding P7, successful bids are shown on Tuesday and you won't get another chance until the week after. I'll need to ask Chinny (tonight) to confirm a few things. Sit tight and we'll get that cleared up for you.

To Dyz, much moreso! Should have drafted a team... oh wait
    Last edited by GMGates; October 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Grand Master

To my understanding P7, successful bids are shown on Tuesday and you won't get another chance until the week after. I'll need to ask Chinny (tonight) to confirm a few things. Sit tight and we'll get that cleared up for you.

To Dyz, much moreso! Should have drafted a team... oh wait
    Psssh... I've already got the UHL and SCFHL2 to kick your ass in, no need to work my way up the Dobber ranks

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

You might want to read some Yahoo help pages regarding on FAAB waivers http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=...pressions=true and Continuous Waivers http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=...pressions=true.

The bidding system was done outside Yahoo in previous seasons, but I think the basic idea has stayed the same. Waivers are processed once a week on Wednesday(or maybe Tuesday) using hidden auction bidding system. Everyone can bid on any player and the highest bidder gets the player with a tie-breaker system in case of ties. You can add the player you won the bid on to your next week's roster (adding players is possible either on Wednesday&Thursday or just Thursday, not sure yet). If you miss on all your bids there won't be a chance to make new bids.

If you really want to add player at certain position you have to make extra bids to be certain you get a player. For example you want a defenseman to replace an injured player in your next week's roster. You bid 5$ for Dman A and 2$ for Dman B which leaves possibility of going empty-handed. So what you do is add extra bids for Dman C 0$, Dman D 0$, Dman E 0$, etc. for as many players as you feel necessary. You aren't forced to pick up the players so you don't really lose anything by adding extra 0$ bids.

You might want to check you league's settings in Yahoo, just as an example these are the settings in Pro Campbell league regarding waivers:

Waiver Time: 1 day
    Waiver Type: FAAB w/ Continual rolling list tiebreak
    Waiver Mode: Continuous
    Waiver Processing Days: Wednesday

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by temek View Post
    If you really want to add player at certain position you have to make extra bids to be certain you get a player. For example you want a defenseman to replace an injured player in your next week's roster. You bid 5$ for Dman A and 2$ for Dman B which leaves possibility of going empty-handed. So what you do is add extra bids for Dman C 0$, Dman D 0$, Dman E 0$, etc. for as many players as you feel necessary. You aren't forced to pick up the players so you don't really lose anything by adding extra 0$ bids.

You might want to check you league's settings in Yahoo, just as an example these are the settings in Pro Campbell league regarding waivers:

Waiver Processing Days: Wednesday
    Solid, man... solid.
    Sending your some REP.

Great (& clear) explanation. Much appreciated.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Solid, man... solid.
    Sending your some REP.

Great (& clear) explanation. Much appreciated.
    I think Temek has summed it up pretty nicely here.
    I haven't used this format before and from what i can read it seems to be new to hockey this year so i'm not sure if we will be able to really understand it until we start to use it.
    I tried to set up the days to as closely match the previous format but wont know exactly how the days pan out until we get into it, so the waiver processing days and the time players on on waivers may need to be adjusted slightly but the format itself wont change (unless it isn't what we are after at all and then back to the old format, which trust me i don't want at all!)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The Smythe division actually had some transactions go through today. (Thursday morning 3:22am)

Bearflaggers picked up 3 players (all at $2 bids) and Goatlenders picked up one player (at $0 cost).

Of note:
    The added players are NOT on these team's Thursday rosters.
    The added players ARE on these team's Friday rosters.

So, if rosters must be set based on "end of Thursday" rosters, then it would seem that an added waiver player is going to sit on a team's bench for the entire first week of owning that player.

True?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The Smythe division actually had some transactions go through today. (Thursday morning 3:22am)

Bearflaggers picked up 3 players (all at $2 bids) and Goatlenders picked up one player (at $0 cost).

Of note:
    The added players are NOT on these team's Thursday rosters.
    The added players ARE on these team's Friday rosters.

So, if rosters must be set based on "end of Thursday" rosters, then it would seem that an added waiver player is going to sit on a team's bench for the entire first week of owning that player. So just a matter of technicality how Yahoo's weekly rosters work.

True?
    Actually that is working as expected. When you want to change weekly rosters you have to edit next Friday's roster (assuming deadline is Weekly on Friday), you just have until Thursday midnight to make the changes. So as long as the new players show up in Friday's roster before Thursday midnight there's no problem.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by temek View Post
    Actually that is working as expected. When you want to change weekly rosters you have to edit next Friday's roster (assuming deadline is Weekly on Friday), you just have until Thursday midnight to make the changes. So as long as the new players show up in Friday's roster before Thursday midnight there's no problem.
    Ah, this is good to know.

So basically, Thursday is a key day.
    On Thursday, every team should set their "Friday" line-up... and NOT their Thursday line-up (because it won't show any newly added players).

A-ha! I understand it!

The Wolverine

Just noticed in our league (Adams) that all available players are now FA (they were on waivers since post-draft). Not sure if this is a temporary glitch or whether there is a period each week that lets that happen? The settings do say continuous waivers and weekly on Friday.

I did make two moves - minor ones - so not sure if I found a loophole or is this supposed to happen? I had originally made $0 bids on them anyway until I noticed this so it wouldn't have affected much other than waiver priority(?) but can someone confirm what should or shouldn't happen? Should they always be on waivers?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Should they always be on waivers?
    With the FAAB "bid" system, I believe every available player should always be on waivers.
    People will bid up until the waiver-processing time (late Thursday).
    The original non-owned players all showed up as "W (Oct 11)" and just yesterday the whole group rolled over to being "W (Oct 18)".

As an example, the top players (by O-Rank) in the Smythe:
    Kyle Brodziak (Min-C): W (Oct 18), 231
    Zach Smith (Ott-C): W (Oct 18), 252
    Ryan Murray (CLS-D): W (Oct 18), 259
    (everybody is W Oct 18)
    Last edited by Pengwin7; October 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM.

The Wolverine

With the FAAB "bid" system, I believe every available player should always be on waivers.
    People will bid up until the waiver-processing time (late Thursday).
    The original non-owned players all showed up as "W (Oct 11)" and just yesterday the whole group rolled over to being "W (Oct 18)".

As an example, the top players (by O-Rank) in the Smythe:
    Kyle Brodziak (Min-C): W (Oct 18), 231
    Zach Smith (Ott-C): W (Oct 18), 252
    Ryan Murray (CLS-D): W (Oct 18), 259
    (everybody is W Oct 18)
    That's what I would have expected, but they remain FA. Here are the relevant settings:

Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
    Weekly Deadline: Weekly on Friday

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Smythe Division:

Waiver Processing Days: Thursday
    Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
    Weekly Deadline: Weekly on Friday

What does your "waiver time" and "waiver processing days" say?