Thread: Rank these Goalie prospects

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Rank these Goalie prospects

I have 7 picks out of a total of 36 in the farm team draft for the 2nd team in my sig. I'd like to add a couple of goalies. I'll probably wait until the 2nd round, where I have four picks.

Who would you take from the following:

Khudobin, Hackett, Lack, Fasth, Helenius, Irving, Nilsson ?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

To some extent it depends on how long you expect to be able to hold these players - do you have a farm team to slide them onto?

Dobber Sports Ninja

The two that I like the most from what I've seen from them so far are Hackett and Lack...though obviously it depends who you can get at the draft positions you plan to take goalies at.

An added benefit of grabbing Hackett is you already own Backstrom...so you have a bit of insurance in case something happens like last year where Hackett is required to step into the starting role. As with Lack, he may see NHL duty sooner than people expected, and up until this point he has shown that he is probably ready to take that next step.

My two cents.

Dobber Sports Novice

Yes I do. I should have mentioned that I can keep them on the farm until they have played 42 NHL games, after which they must be moved to the main roster or cut. I can also shuttle them between the farm and main roster throughout the year, so I can take advantage of injuries to #1s or hot streaks.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think I would have to go with Lack, Hackett and Khudokin in that order. Goalie prospects are such a tough call - there are limited starting opportunities in the league. Do you go for talent or for opportunity to start?

I have been sitting on Bernier forever - he looked like such a sure thing and Quick happened.

Dobber Sports Pro

From this list, obviously Lack is the best choice. I'd rank Hackett right behind him, followed by Fasth, Irving, Khudobin, Helenius and Nilsson...but alot of those are awfully close.

Dobber Sports Guru

I like Lack, Khubodin and Hackett the most and in that order. If Luongo doesnt get dealt then Lack's value takes a hit for this season but next year he is on a one-way deal.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    I like Lack, Khubodin and Hackett the most and in that order. If Luongo doesnt get dealt then Lack's value takes a hit for this season but next year he is on a one-way deal.
    I would agree with Wendel here.

However, if you want production sooner, I'd rank Khubodin and Hackett 1 and 1a then Lack not far behind. Until the Bobby Lou situation is figured out, Lack will not be seeing any ice time. The BAB tandem in Minnesota will gaurnatee Hacket see's about 12 to 15 games this season IMO. And Rask, who admittedly is a VERY good tender, he also seems to be prone to the injury bug. And no one else is ready or in Khubodin's way. Either of these 2 could cement themselves as an excellant back up option as soon as this year.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

IMO evaluating goaltender prospects is a three legged stool: Opportunity, Competition and Performance. Best candidates are those who are strong in all three areas, but opportunity is the big driver and setsthe first four guys as the ones to target.

Khudobin: Short term competition is basically only a UFA or via trade
    Hackett: Short term competition is Band aid boy Harding
    Lack: Needs Luongo to move, which will eventually happen.
    Fasth: Short term competition is only Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers.

Helenius: Too much competition short term (Tokarski) and longterm (Vasilevski)
    Irving: Too much competition short term (Karlsson) and longterm (Ramo)
    Nilsson: Too much competition (Poulin, Koskinen) no long term clear cut winner
    ZFHL Stanley Cup Champ 2014

P Sharp - N Backstrom - P Marleau
    D Perron - A Tanguay - M Hossa
    J Williams - C Soderberg - J Abdelkader
    K Clifford - B Pirri - R Clune

D Keith - J Schultz
    B Dillon - S Salo
    V Bartley - R Ellis

C Price

C Adams, M Latta, K Ramo

Farm: Nylander, Goldobin, Anton Karlsson, S Griffith, M Hrivlik, J Marchessault, S Wilson, T Blugers, B Hart, K, Agostino, S Elliott, C Ruhwedel, J Klingberg, A Sergeev, H Tommernes, S Brittain, ...

30 team salary cap with 30 NHL roster & 30 prospects plus unsigned prospects = ZFHL also (DTDL and Scfhl2)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kidcabernet View Post
    I have 7 picks out of a total of 36 in the farm team draft for the 2nd team in my sig. I'd like to add a couple of goalies. I'll probably wait until the 2nd round, where I have four picks.

Who would you take from the following:

Thanks!
    1. Hackett - Clearest path to being a starter and has very good #1 upside.

2. Nilsson - Opportunity on the Island and has some NHL experience. I like the talent and pedigree of the next three tenders more than him, but you can't overlook his experience and opportunity. He also has TREEmendous size!
    3. Helenius - Former 1st(15) in 2006, taken a few picks after Bernier and before Varly and Irving. Currently appears to be slotted behind Lindback. Vasilevsky is in the pipe, but may not make it over if these two play to their potential. Lightning should be a playoff team for sometime.
    4. Lack - Assuming Luongo goes, stuck behind a Schneider, which is worse than Khudobin behind Rask, imo, but may be on par at best. Again, another playoff team. Unlike Khudobin, he doesn't have any one pulling at his coattails. Window perhaps closing as a cup contender.
    5. Khudobin- Stuck behind Rask and older than Lack. If guys like Subban and Svedberg play to their potential, he may be a flight risk.

6. Fasth - Older tender, but is the clear back up on a team that should compete for a playoff spot, but very well may move players and end up as a rebuild.

7. Irving - Behind Ramo and maybe even Karlsson on a rebuilding team.
    Last edited by One87; August 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    1. Hackett - Clearest path to being a starter and has very good #1 upside.

2. Nilsson - Opportunity on the Island and has some NHL experience. I like the talent and pedigree of the next three tenders more than him, but you can't overlook his experience and opportunity. He also has TREEmendous size!
    3. Helenius - Former 1st(15) in 2006, taken a few picks after Bernier and before Varly and Irving. Currently appears to be slotted behind Lindback. Vasilevsky is in the pipe, but may not make it over if these two play to their potential. Lightning should be a playoff team for sometime.
    4. Lack - Assuming Luongo goes, stuck behind a Schneider, which is worse than Khudobin behind Rask, imo, but may be on par at best. Again, another playoff team. Unlike Khudobin, he doesn't have any one pulling at his coattails. Window perhaps closing as a cup contender.
    5. Khudobin- Stuck behind Rask and older than Lack. If guys like Subban and Svedberg play to their potential, he may be a flight risk.

6. Fasth - Older tender, but is the clear back up on a team that should compete for a playoff spot, but very well may move players and end up as a rebuild.

7. Irving - Behind Ramo and maybe even Karlsson on a rebuilding team.
    I agree with this list for the most part. I would probably flip Helenius with Lack but I doubt either are really in a good position to be a regular NHL player anytime soon. Backups yes, but starters, unlikely. Hackett and Nilsson have a real good chance to be NHL starters in a couple years.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to try to get Hackett and Lack. At least one of those should fall to the second round.