Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Capitals

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The Capitals need to take to the ice tonight being extra aware that penalties have been their biggest downfall this season. Last night against the Leafs, the Caps blew a 2-1 lead as a direct result of penalties just as they did on Tuesday night against the Senators. Last night the Capitals sat in the box for seven penalties versus the Leafs three penalties. Tuesday night the Capitals the capitals committed six penalties to the Senators four. The final penalty on Tuesday, a high sticking call on Joel Ward allowed the Senators to score their third and game winning goal. The Capitals are consistently playing their most solid game in the first period then struggling in the second and third. This is most likely due to the amount of penalty killing they are doing each game. If the Capitals can stay out of the penalty box tonight they have a good chance against the Flyers who have only have one more point in the standings than Washington.

The second key for the Capitals is scoring on the power play. The Capitals players have a total of five power play points this season and are currently eighteenth in the league with a power play percentage of 17.9%. Their penalty killing is equally atrocious, ranked twenty third at 73.7%.

Fantasy Update (leaders):
    G: Ward (4)
    A: Ribeiro (6)
    P: Ribeiro (8)
    +/-: Ward (5)
    PIM: Hendricks (21)
    SH%: Ward (.308)
    PPP: Ovechkin (2) (An obvious sign of the Caps inability to put up a Win!)
    TOI: Green (27:11 per game)
    Follow me on twitter @mikerocksthered
    https://twitter.com/mikerocksthered

ESPN 10 Team H2H
    F: Kessel, Backstrom, E. Staal, Marleau, Hossa, Kesler, Vrbata, Bozak, Koivu, Wilson, Tlusty, Fisher
    D: Chara, Shattenkirk, Souray, Beauchemin, Liles, Carlson, Vlassic, Greene
    G: Brodeur, Fasth, Ward IR: Ray Whitney

Yahoo 10 team H2H
    F: Marleau, Tlusty, Vanek, Pominville, McDonald, Clarkson, Huberdeau, Koivu
    D: Boyle, Greene, Chara, Pietrangelo, Hedman, L Schenn
    G: Brodeur, Fasth

Dobber Sports Grand Master

What's the deal with Orlov?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Dmitri Orlov Update

I have finally found an update. It looks like he might start skating again on Monday.

ESPN 10 Team H2H
    F: Kessel, Backstrom, E. Staal, Marleau, Hossa, Kesler, Vrbata, Bozak, Koivu, Wilson, Tlusty, Fisher

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Caps game 10

Tonight Michal Neuvirth will take to the net after a game off on Sunday when Braden Holtby faced the Penguins and posted a dismal .769 save percentage and allowed 6 goals against. Neuvirth has the better statistics of the two goalies with a .899 save percentage and 2.97 goals against average. Holtby has struggled this season with a .862 save percentage and averaging 4.52 goals against.

Mike Ribeiro is expected to play on the top line tonight with Woltek Wolski and Alex Ovechkin. Ribeiro currently leads the Capitals in assists and points. Ribeiro, who scored thirteen multi-point games last season currently has four multi-points games this season after scoring a goal and an assist on Sunday afternoon against Pittsburgh. According to the NHL games notes, Ribeiro was tied for sixth in the league as of Monday for multi-point games. Ribeiro has scored more points against Toronto than any other team in the Eastern Conference (24 points in 28 games). Woltek Wolski has scored 9 points in 9 games against Toronto. Alex Ovechkin has scored more points against Toronto than he has against any other team in the Northeast Division, scoring 43 points in 28 games. Statistically speaking, this top line trio should be exactly what the Capitals need to post a much needed win.

The home ice advantage seems to be in the Capitals favor against the Maple Leafs. The Capitals who are 7-2-1 in their last 10 games against Toronto are 5-0-1 on home ice.

While the Capitals have been searching for a resolution to a low power play success rate, lack of scoring from top players, and difficulties playing a full sixty minutes, Toronto's Phil Kessel has been struggling to find the back of the net this season. Kessel, who scored 37 goals and 45 assists last season, has not scored a goal in the nine games he has played this season and has only tallied 4 assists. If Kessel can put a puck past Neuvirth tonight, it would be his 100th goal as a Maple Leaf.

Like Kessel, Marcus Johansson has lost his mojo this season. Johansson scored 46 points last season and averaged 1.125 shots on goal per game. This season Johansson has not scored a single point and has only recorded three shots on goal in seven games. MoJo is currently on pace to score zero points and end the season with a horrific -46 plus/minus rating if he can not turn his game around. If you are still hanging on to Marcus Johansson on your fantasy team for some unknown reason, dropping him for anyone else in the league would be an upgrade to your team.

The Capitals will be without Brooks Laich and Jack Hillen again tonight due to injury. Brooks Laich has begun skating after suffering a groin injury during the lockout while playing for the Swiss league. Laich is reportedly close to participating in full contact practice but is still expected to be out a few more games. John Erskine will also be out of the line up for tonight's game, serving his second game of a three game suspension.

Fantasy Leaders:
    G: Joel Ward (4)
    A: Ribeiro (8)
    Pts: Ribeiro (10)
    +/-: Ribeiro (4)
    PPP: Ribeiro (2)
    Hits: Brouwer (21)
    Blocks: Carlson (28)
    PIM: Hendricks (36)
    ATOI: Green (26:50)
    Shots: Ovechkin (34)
    SHT%: Ward (.257)

Expected lines for tonight's contest:
    Woltek Wolski-Mike Ribeiro-Alex Ovechkin
    Jason Chimera-Nicklas Backstrom-Troy Brouwer
    Marcus Johansson-Joey Crabb-Joel Ward
    Matt Hendricks-Jay Beagle-Eric Fehr

Mike Green-Karl Alzner
    John Carlson-Tom Poti
    Jeff Schultz-Tomas Kundratek

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mikerocksthered View Post
    Expected lines for tonight's contest:
    Woltek Wolski-Mike Ribeiro-Alex Ovechkin
    Jason Chimera-Nicklas Backstrom-Troy Brouwer
    Marcus Johansson-Joey Crabb-Joel Ward
    Matt Hendricks-Jay Beagle-Eric Fehr

Mike Green-Karl Alzner
    John Carlson-Tom Poti
    Jeff Schultz-Tomas Kundratek
    Those lines are starting to look more like what they should be.

Any insight into the breakup of Carlson/Alzner?
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Take out Neuvy's first game and his statistics are .912% and about 2.7 GAA. Not too shabby, considering Washington's leaky defense right now.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Need Washington to have a sick offensive night but for Neuvirth to shit the bed and get hit with a loss. 6-5 final for the Leafs I'm calling it. Come on hockey gods you owe me

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    At some point, there has to be a discussion about Oates getting fired. I'm watching them against the Leafs right now, a below average team, and the Caps are just lifeless. It's painful to watch. I remember this team under Boudreau was almost always dangerous. Especially Ovie's line.
    Oates is unproven, but at this point you can't blame it on the coaches considering the fact that Boudreau faced this same problem after two great seasons where the Caps couldn't go deep enough into the playoffs. At this point I think the Caps need one of two things to shake things up and snap the team into reality. GMGM needs to make some big trades which may include trading guys like Ovechkin, Backstrom or Green. Of one of those guys, they are the guys GMGM built the team around are if one of them was traded, it would be a huge wake up call for everyone else who remains on the team. The second option is for Ted Leonsis to decide that it is time for a new GM. I like GMGM, but the Caps have tried three coaches in what is basically less than a normal full season. Is this really a coaching problem, management, or the players. When you have tried three coaches, it might be time to start looking at the other possibilities. The Caps team that was run and gun and had cup potential was the team of several years ago. GMGM built this team from the ground up, and the team he built might be past its prime. While the core of this team was mostly a result of drafts, there comes a time where the vision exceeds reality, and a regroup is needed. Has GMGM's vision come and gone? Has the team we saw two years ago become the legacy of the Caps vision. That remains to be determined, but something needs to change. Are the Caps still building, or is it time to make big changes and go back to the drawing board? If they need to go back to the drawing board, is the coach the problem, or is it management.
    Last edited by mikerocksthered; February 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM.

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Veteran

I wonder if the Caps are regretting firing Boudreau. Look at what he's doing with the Ducks!
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
    I wonder if the Caps are regretting firing Boudreau. Look at what he's doing with the Ducks!
    I think at this point, the Caps are regretting A LOT of things lol.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Banned

the caps should trade ovie.
    the caps played their best hockey in the last three years under hunter when ovie's role was minimized.
    he hurts this team right now more than he helps it and if he had another name on the back of his sweater things would be different.
    now, ovechkin just isn't gonna be traded but i would not be suprised one bit to see other parts of the core moved around if the season turns out to be another disappointment.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Great article on the Caps from Russian Machine Never Breaks.

Is Adam Oates Too Sophisticated and Confusing for the Capitals

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Injury Updates

Injury Updates reported from:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...#ixzz2KNaRHCm7

Brooks Laich - Has started skating, but his return is unknown at this point. He is recovering from a groin injury and making sure he is fully recovered before resuming play.

Laich, who has been skating with the Caps and testing out his groin, cannot return too fast and make things worse.
    "Just hoping he can get in the lineup soon. It’d be nice to have him,' general manager George McPhee said. "Certainly Brooks would be a big help right now, but we’ll have to wait a little bit longer. He’s improving and hopefully we’ll see him soon."
    -Washington Times
    Jack Hillen - Will be out for at least 6-8 more weeks.

Hillen, who suffered what the team is calling an upper-body injury when his left shoulder slammed into the boards after a hit from Tampa Bay Lightning center Vinny Lecavalier in the season opener, did not provide any kind of update last week when asked of his condition.
    The news isn't good.
    "That one’s going to be longer. That’s still another probably 6-8 weeks," McPhee said. "That’s a significant injury."
    Hillen is on injured reserve but not the long-term variety that would take his cap hit off the books. But that's not necessary.
    "We don't need the cap space," McPhee said. "We're at, I think, $62 [million] and you can go to $70 [million] this year."

Dmitri Orlov - Has resumed skating, but will be at least 3 more weeks if not longer.

Orlov is still with the Hershey Bears, the Caps' American Hockey League affiliate, after suffering his upper-body injury Dec. 6. Only recently did the young defenseman begin skating again and he's not close to game action.
    "He's coming along," McPhee said. "Probably, I was told a week ago it might be another month."

Tom Poti - day to day with an upper body injury

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sorry for the lack of updates, and lack of detail in the updates I am providing. I am out of town for work, and have been working way too much!

Here is what I have for tonight.

Holtby will be between the pipes tonight as the Caps face off against the Panthers.

John Erskin is back in tonight having server the duration of his 3 game suspension.

Marcus Johansson and Roman Hamrlik are scratches.

Tomi Poti will be a game time decision after suffering an upper body injury this week against the Penguins.

Jason Chimera has been moved up to the second line with Backstrom and Brouwer.

Mathieu Perreault is back in the lineup tonight! I can't find where I read it last night, but I thought I saw that MP85 would be playing the third line with Backstrom.

Offensive lines:
    Wolski-Ribeiro-Ovechkin
    Chimera-Backstrom-Brouwer
    Fehr-Perreault-Ward
    Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb

MP85 Quoted
    From Capitals insider:
    “I think we have to play a little bit more desperate and tell ourselves that, ‘Boy, if we lose this one, we’re out of the playoffs,’” Perreault said. “I think guys would come hard and play so much harder. I think that’s what we need; we need that desperation to get on the ice and feel like we have to win every single game to make the playoffs. And it’s basically what it is right now. We need to go on a run and win so many games.”

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Caps Game 13

The Capitals are in Sunrise Florida today to face the Florida Panthers for the second time in three days. The Capitals defeated the Panthers 5-0 in a much needed win at home on Saturday night. The Panthers who are currently two places (28th) ahead of the Caps (30th), may not be the toughest adversary for the Capitals, as they are having struggles of their own, but with a current record (including Saturdays win) of 3-8-1, a win is a win.

Saturdays game was a great turn around for the team as a whole, especially Mathieu Perreault and Braden Holtby. Both players got off to very rocky starts this season. Holtby allowed ten goals in his first two games of the season and eighteen goals in the five games he player prior to Saturday nights contest. On Saturday night, Holtby recorded his first shutout of the season, stopping 27 shots on goal. Holtby also earned an assist (2nd in his NHL Career) when he made a beautiful pass to Troy Brouwer who received the puck at the blue line and was able to put the puck into the back of the net.

Mathieu Perreault, who had been a healthy scratch in six of the Capitals eleven games prior to Saturday night, and has seen minimal ice time (7:59 average over five games) when does make the lineup, had a two point night and was on the ice for 12:40 including 51 seconds of power play time. Perreault ended the night with one goal, one assist, and a 2 +/- rating.

Along with Perreault, Troy Brower and Joel Ward lead the Caps in points, all posting two a points a piece.

Goals were scored by Brouwer who scored the first two tallies in the game, followed by single goals from Ward, Ovechkin, and Perreault.

While many of the Capitals offensive line scored at least a point on Saturday, Crabb, Wolksi, Backtrom, Hendricks, and Beagle remained off pointless. These players make up the entire fourth line and two thirds of the second line. Every player on the fist line and third line scored at least a point.

Tonight the Caps will look to keep the momentum going but this time on the Panthers ice. The Capitals solid play on Saturday night have resulted in Adam Oates keeping the same lines, and same goalie for tonight's game.

Brooks Laich did travel with the team to Sunrise, but did not participate in the morning skate. Although he is closer to returning to the ice after missing one quarter of the season, his timeline for returning is still unclear.

Marcus Johansson did not travel with the team for this trip, and was absent from practice on Monday morning. The official word from the Caps is that MJ90 has an upper-body injury despite the fact that he participated in a practice on Saturday with the other scratched players.

Tom Poti and Roman Hamrlik are both scratches tonight.

Offensive Lines:
    Chimera-Ribeiro-Ovechkin
    Wolski-Backstrom-Brouwer
    Fehr-Perreault-Ward
    Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb

Defensive Lines:
    Alzner-Green
    Erskine-Carlson
    Schultz-Kundratek

Goal:
    Holbty
    Last edited by mikerocksthered; February 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM.

ESPN 10 Team H2H

Yahoo 10 team H2H