Page 96 of 102 FirstFirst ... 46 86 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 1526

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Dallas Stars

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Here's a good read from Mike Heika, giving his thoughts on how the Stars D core could shake out with the pending UFAs.....

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dall...-one-outside-d
    Couple days you called it a retirement from the forums. What's up bud? Everything ok?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Couple days you called it a retirement from the forums. What's up bud? Everything ok?
    Everything's fine. I had drifted away for a couple of months to kind of recharge the batteries so to speak. I had been lurking once in a while on the phone when I got bored and when I saw the Hart thread I just felt the itch to come in and stir the pot. A bit of...well I wouldn't blame ya if you called it trolling. All in good fun though, and I knew Benn wouldn't get much love so I just had to do it. Beside which with Ev gone who's going to fill the biggest homer shoes.....
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Everything's fine. I had drifted away for a couple of months to kind of recharge the batteries so to speak. I had been lurking once in a while on the phone when I got bored and when I saw the Hart thread I just felt the itch to come in and stir the pot. A bit of...well I wouldn't blame ya if you called it trolling. All in good fun though, and I knew Benn wouldn't get much love so I just had to do it. Beside which with Ev gone who's going to fill the biggest homer shoes.....
    Don't be sad. We need you.

Dobber Sports Guru

What's this team gonna do this summer?
    Aren't ALL of their D UFAs? (exaggeration)
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Wizard

Goligoski, Demers, Russell, and Jordie Benn are the UFAs. Demers effectively played his way out the door, plus he's a right shot puck mover just like Johns and Honka. And let's not forget Mr Klingberg. Russell was always a rental anyway. Jordie is actually an effective and very affordable #6/7.

Goligoski is where it gets interesting. I think the market is going to be somewhere around 5yrs/5.5-6mil+ for him. Whether or not he's worth that, that's what I think prevailing wisdom says he'll get. With young guys like Johns, Lindell, Nemeth, and Oleksiak ready to step into full time roles which one of them do you sit or do you let Jordie walk to free up a spot? Plus Honka looks to be a second half callup, full time the season after that. Aside from Honka, the other four young D add much needed bulk to a very small D core.

One other thing to consider with Goligoski is he could be a valuable piece of the puzzle if Ruff would just move him down from the 1st pair to the 2nd and pair him with Johns. Johns beastly game fits well as a counter to Goligoski's speed and skill. Goligoski's struggles playing top pairing minutes. Now the problem there is two-fold. Lindy just can't bring himself to split Goligoski and Klingberg up. But it's obvious Goligoski is overmatched the way he's being used. Second issue is, how much are you willing to pay a 30+y.o. 2nd pairing D-man? Not sure it's the price he's likely to fetch.

What I'd like to see is Dallas let Goligoski, Demers, and Russell walk, re-sign Jordie to 1-2mil deal and ice these pairings:

Lindell/Oduya-Klingberg
    Oduya/Lindell-Johns
    Nemeth-Oleksiak/Benn

The other option is to get Goligoski signed cheaper than what's expected, keep Jordie, and move a young guy like Oleksiak as part of a deal to upgrade elsewhere.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

From what I saw at the end of the year, I think Dallas is going to lament giving up on Jokkipakka. I already think he's an excellent 5 and an effective 4 with upside for more. Nill has been pretty money in Dallas, but that Russell trade might be one of his worst.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think if someone's going to throw a boatload of money at Goligoski, then you just have to sit back and let them do it. If I'm going to overpay on a D, I want that guy to have top-pairing potential. It's going to be hard to get that guy and to keep Goligoski too.

That being said, I think Goligoski takes too much grief. He's not a bad player, he's just not an anchor to your defense.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I think if someone's going to throw a boatload of money at Goligoski, then you just have to sit back and let them do it. If I'm going to overpay on a D, I want that guy to have top-pairing potential. It's going to be hard to get that guy and to keep Goligoski too.

That being said, I think Goligoski takes too much grief. He's not a bad player, he's just not an anchor to your defense.
    Totally agree with your assessment. He can commiserate with Jordie about taking grief, but he can also find his redemption in the older Benn brother. Jordie was a disaster when he was played up the lineup in the 3/4 role. Once Lindy committed to playing him down in the 5/6/7 role, and limit his minutes, he's been a much better player. Same I think would hold true with Goligoski if Lindy would just put him on the left side on the 2nd pairing he'd be a much different player. But ultimately, it's just time to let him move on and open some spots for these younger, bigger guys who are ready for primetime.

The Great One

Lindell gets at least 30 points next year.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Mike Heika's latest, offering a glimpse into the myriad options Jim Nill has to address the sad state of goaltending in Dallas. Some really good ones, some not so good, some that are just as scary as the status quo....which is also an option(shudder).....

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dall...ending-options

If you didn't make it all the way to the end, here's an interesting tidbit...

As much as we slam the team defense, the Stars were No. 2 in the NHL in positive shot attempt differential during the regular season and were 19th in goals against average at 2.78. They were No. 1 in the NHL in the playoffs in positive SAT and were 14th in GAA at 3.23.

We can all find warts with the defense, but it sure doesn't seem like this team statistically overburdened goaltenders. We can talk about quality of chances in another blog post, but the bottom line is the goaltending in Dallas has had poor numbers for some time.

The Great One

12. Here’s another question I posed to Nill. Is there any chance he re-signs Jordie Benn, but lets Jason Demers, Alex Goligoski and Kris Russell walk? That makes Stephen Johns, Julius Honka and John Klingberg his right-side defenders; some combination of Benn, Esa Lindell, Patrik Nemeth, Johnny Oduya and Jamie Oleksiak on the left.

“I can see what you’re thinking there, and it’s possible,” he replied. “But there’s a fine line between development and playing to win. We’re going to sit down over the next two weeks as a group and discuss this. We had a great season, but we’re still in our infancy. We’re going to get younger, yet. Bigger and faster. I’d like to bring back one of them, but if we can’t find a way to make it work, that could happen.”

Nill wouldn’t comment, but the suspicion is Goligoski is the target. We’ll see.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Defending Big D pointing out that Stars not buying out Lehtonen or Niemi.

Looks like they're dead set on any trade partner taking back one of these two.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Veteran

Defending Big D pointing out that Stars not buying out Lehtonen or Niemi.

Looks like they're dead set on any trade partner taking back one of these two.
    I imagine they'll stay put for this year (hard to find a trade partner for them) and offer decent play (better than last year) – especially behind what seems to be an improved D core with the signing of Hamhuis, entry of Lindell, etc.
    What do you all think?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    I imagine they'll stay put for this year (hard to find a trade partner for them) and offer decent play (better than last year) – especially behind what seems to be an improved D core with the signing of Hamhuis, entry of Lindell, etc.
    What do you all think?
    Frankly, the thought of another season of Lehtonen is giving my stomach a serious case of the creeping whim-whams.

I think you have to make a move for Bishop assuming Tampa is seriously looking to move him.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Veteran

Frankly, the thought of another season of Lehtonen is giving my stomach a serious case of the creeping whim-whams.

I think you have to make a move for Bishop assuming Tampa is seriously looking to move him.
    True. But I can't imagine a team would be willing to take one of them one. The market for goalies now seems low.

On the plus side, I do think they'll play better this year. Dallas' D did seem weak last year, which didn't exactly help. But I agree they need to shop for a solid #1.