Page 9 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    lines today:

Morrow getting more 4th line treatment .....
    that is where he belongs. he shouldn't be on the powerplay either, and will probably lose his spot once roy returns.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    that is where he belongs. he shouldn't be on the powerplay either, and will probably lose his spot once roy returns.
    So far the bounce-back I thought was coming has been nothing more than a huge splat.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

A few tidbits to get the ball rolling today.

- With Jamie Oleksiak ready to make his NHL debut tonight he got a parting gift from the AHL, Rookie of the Month for January.....

http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/02/0...h-for-january/

- Derek Roy and Cristopher Nilstorp both skated today in practice. Glen Gulutzan said he thought there was an 80% chance Roy could return Monday against the Avs. Nilstorp is listed as day-to-day.

- Today's line combos and defensive pairings, plus some info on Antoine Roussel and the expectations for Jamie Oleksiak.....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...y-monday.html/

Dobber Sports Wizard

A little late with the recap for last nights game, very abbreviated because of it, but here we go.

- One thing I do want to mention before I get started. As you may already know Ray Whitney is headed to the IR and Reilly Smith has been called up from Austin to fill in. Possibility of top six minutes for Smith? Or is this a brief escape from purgatory for Morrow? We'll see later today what Gulutzan did with lines in the morning(afternoon) skate.

- All eyes were on Jamie Oleksiak as he made his NHL debut. I think it was a good debut for him. He didn't go out and try to wow anybody, just played a solid, steady game. He did have one turnover, but other than that he just went out and played within himself.

- The other rookie, Antoine Roussel made a rather more splashy debut. Check out his first NHL goal if you haven't seen it yet....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyuO7pdRqKc

Not too shabby for a guy who's an agitator and PIM machine. He did post decent offensive numbers in the QMJHL, but that hasn't translated so far in the AHL. This season has been by far his best in the AHL, he's seventh on the Texas Stars with 19 points, so maybe he's just a late bloomer at the pro level.

- Brenden Dillon keeps looking better and more comfortable with each game. He picked up his first points in the NHL with a goal and a helper. For good measure he went ahead and completed the Gordie Howe hatty. That Howe hat-trick was the first by a Stars player since Brenden Morrow did it just over seven years ago, also against Phoenix. Just a thought out loud, why not slot the kid in on one of the PP units? Maybe he can provide that booming shot that Angus pointed out is missing on the back end.

- The PK units continue to get the job done, blanking the red-hot Yotes on all three power-plays. So far of the six pp goals allowed, five have come in just two games. If only they could play with that same aggression they use to kill penalties on the power-play and even strength.

That's all I've got at the moment. I should have posted this right after the game while everything was still fresh in my mind. Yesterday I was out of my normal routine all day, and when that happens I never find that groove.

Dobber Sports Wizard

More news and notes:

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika
    From the Stars and Ray Whitney today: Stars LW Ray Whitney has a broken bone in his foot and will be out 4-6 weeks.
    Also from Heika

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika
    Richard Bachman is expected to be in goal tonight for Stars. The guess is Mike Smith goes for Phoenix again.
    A preview video from Razor. He does these before every game, but I hadn't included them until now. The burn at the end on the Coyotes is the reason this one makes the cut. Damn near had me on the floor laughing....

http://video.stars.nhl.com/videocent...198274&lang=en

Dobber Sports Wizard

Things just got a shove into interesting....

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika
    Stars expected lines tonight: Morrow-Benn-Jagr, Eriksson-Eakin-Ryder, Nystrom-Fiddler-Vincour, Garbutt-Roussel-Smith. Could be some juggling
    I know some are disappointed that Reilly Smith isn't getting the spot, but here's that opportunity to see if Morrow still has it, and if so showcase him. Mike also answered an earlier tweet about Morrow's captaincy and time with the Stars. He answered back that the "C" is Morrow's as long as he's a Star, but that he sees Brenden's time in Dallas coming to an end before this season is over.

Mike Heika is well connected inside the Stars, so you've got to believe he wouldn't put that out there unless it's seriously on the table.

Dobber Sports Wizard

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Another second game of a back-to-back, and another loss. The Stars are now 0-3 this season in those games and 1-14-2 dating back to last season.

Not really much to touch on here, after what was a promising start. The Stars looked like the better team in the first. They had more energy, were creating turnovers not committing them, but they just couldn't generate any offense. They let the Yotes hang around, and from the second period on, it was all Phoenix. What started so promising, ended so ugly.

- Penalties were again a problem. The Stars were shorthanded seven times in this one, but luckily the PK was able to do it's thing again and continue to be a lone bright spot. They finished the night 1-for-7 on the penalty kill.

- 17. That was the total number of shots-on-goal in the game for Dallas. The second was absolutely horrendous, with Dallas only putting three on net. The first of those three was at roughly the 1:30 mark, the next two came inside the final minute of the period, over 17 straight minutes without a shot-on-goal. Oh they took shots, wide, into a wall of humanity, everywhere but on net.

- 7. That's how many Stars players registered a shot. Nine of those shots came from the top line of Morrow/Benn/Jagr, and Morrow contributed zero to that total. Roussel(2), Smith(1), and Vincour(1), were the only other forwards to put pucks on net.

- Bachman for his part looked good, and like Lehtonen and Nilstorp, was really the main reason they were even in this one. Bachman finished with 32 saves on 34 shots. Goaltending has been the only other positive, aside from the PK, throughout the first nine games.

It's still early, and they have yet to ice their full top-six even once this season, but some tough questions are going to have to be asked to find the answers to turn things around.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Shaking things up a bit here...

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika
    Stars lines from morning skate: Morrow-Benn-Jagr, Erikisson-Roy-Vincour, Smith-Eakin-Ryder, Nystrom-Fiddler-Roussel.
    Obviously it's official, Roy is back in action. Vincour gets a big promotion and Reilly Smith gets a chance to reunite with Eakin on the third line. We'll see what kind of spark gets created with these moves. Just as important as trying to find some sort offensive jump-start, curious to see if they can stem the tide of penalties that have crippled them to open the season.

D pairings remain unchanged from Saturday....

Dillon-Robidas
    Rome-Daley
    Goligoski-Oleksiak

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post

D pairings remain unchanged from Saturday....

Dillon-Robidas
    Rome-Daley
    Goligoski-Oleksiak
    Since when is Goligoski on the 3rd pairing? Should I be worried about him?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Since when is Goligoski on the 3rd pairing? Should I be worried about him?
    He's been down there now for the last three or four games counting tonight. I think some degree of worry is warranted, he hasn't lit things up, but at the same time Gulutzan has not been shy about shaking things up trying to find the right combos and pairings. I wouldn't panic yet, things are still fluid so he could find his way back up to the first or second pairing again.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I won't be able to offer up a recap for tonight's game. It's on NBC Sports Net which I do not have. I have painstakingly gone through every single channel on my directv and can't find the game listed anywhere. Bummer!

Just you wait and see, I can't watch the game, I picked the Avs in the pick-a-winner contest, so the guys will go out and have their best game of the year. I really hope they do.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    He's been down there now for the last three or four games counting tonight. I think some degree of worry is warranted, he hasn't lit things up, but at the same time Gulutzan has not been shy about shaking things up trying to find the right combos and pairings. I wouldn't panic yet, things are still fluid so he could find his way back up to the first or second pairing again.
    Thanks. All my D are now slumping big time and I wouldn't mind Goligoski stepping up, like he was supposed to. I am a patient owner, though.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Did I not call it! Great road win for the Stars. Wish I had been able to tape it and watch it this morning but the fates had other ideas. Just looking at the game recap on Yahoo, once again the second period was a bit rough. Three penalties and only three shots, but otherwise they were able to overcome that, and pick up a much needed win.

I highlighted that, as the second period has been a thorn in the Stars side all season. That's when they tend to draw the most penalties, and the last two games they have been held to just three shots-on-goal in that period in each game. Not going to quibble over that today, just going to enjoy the win.

Here's a couple of recaps, first one is Mike Heika, the second is Mark Stepneski...

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...together.html/

http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/02/0...avalanche-3-2/

Dobber Sports Ninja

Obviously, the Stars wake up when playing against my goalie ><

Hey NWO...what is your read on Eriksson? Acquired him last Sunday and he has been god awful for me. Seriously, in the last three games: 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 EVERYTHING 0! What's the deal with him? I gave up Blake Wheeler for him thinking I got at least a decent deal/fair swap but so far I'm looking like an idiot. In the last five games since I've owned him he has one goal and only one game where he even got a goddamn shot on goal.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Obviously, the Stars wake up when playing against my goalie ><

Hey NWO...what is your read on Eriksson? Acquired him last Sunday and he has been god awful for me. Seriously, in the last three games: 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 EVERYTHING 0! What's the deal with him? I gave up Blake Wheeler for him thinking I got at least a decent deal/fair swap but so far I'm looking like an idiot. In the last five games since I've owned him he has one goal and only one game where he even got a goddamn shot on goal.
    I think he and Roy will click, they just need a bit of time to get sync'd up. He's been victimized by the constant line juggling and not being paired with Benn. He just needs to develop that timing with Roy that he had with Benn. Once he does that he'll heat up.

He's also just a Morrow slump away from being Benn's wingman again.