Page 8 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 58 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 1435

Thread: Dallas Stars

  1. #106
    NoWayOut's Avatar
    NoWayOut is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,853
    Location
    Harlan
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default

    Couple of quick notes and then I'll offer my thoughts on that Morrow article.

    First is Lehtonen will be getting the start tonight and not Bachman. Bit of a surprise there, but then again Kari got the start and the win against the Wings last Tuesday, also in Detroit.

    Second is there was no morning skate as weather issues forced the team to stay in Columbus overnight and then fly into Detroit today. It's shaping up as a theme for the Stars when they're in that neck of the woods. Got stuck in Detroit last Tuesday night, wound up leaving a day late and missing a day of practice. The got back to Dallas late on Wednesday then came out flat against Chicago the following night. Doesn't bode well when they're on the road in the dreaded second half of a back-to-back against the Wings.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

  2. #107
    NoWayOut's Avatar
    NoWayOut is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,853
    Location
    Harlan
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default

    Let's look at that article on two fronts here, the fantasy front, and the real NHL.

    Fantasy-

    I've been fairly vocal on here in support of Brenden as a great sleeper pick late in drafts. I expected him to bounce back strong this year and show he's still got plenty left to offer fantasy GM's. I backed those words with action, taking him late in every one of my three one-year leagues. So far that faith and belief hasn't translated to results.

    At this point he's not really an option in most leagues. If your in a deep league (16+ teams) with a four or five man bench, that tracks Hits and PIM, he may be worth stashing to see if things turn around or if he gets dealt elsewhere, though I think a trade isn't likely as I'll lay out in the next segment. In most leagues though I think he's safe to drop at the moment until he shows signs of picking it up again if your needing help elsewhere.

    Line combos have been fluid so far in Dallas, so it's possible that he could work himself back up or get a chance to do that through others struggles or injuries. With those things in mind if you do drop him, I'd watch things closely and if he starts getting more ice time and better opportunities be ready to snatch him back up. I really believe he still has something to offer fantasy GM's but he's not going to show it with the current arrangement in Big D.

    Real world NHL-

    Nieuwy has said in the not too distant past that he has no interest in moving Brenden. This is also the same guy who has not hesitated to move long time fixtures, icons, fan favorites. If he'll move Mr. Dallas Stars himself, plus Otter, Ribs, etc, is Morrow really safe?

    He would seem a likely trade piece. What Cup contender wouldn't mind a gritty net front presence, who can dish out the pain, isn't afraid of the rough stuff, and has leadership. The thing is with him buried on the fourth line, not getting a chance to prove everything he can still do and that there is gas in the tank his trade value isn't nearly what it could or should be.

    But what if he did get that opportunity, say through injury or ineffectiveness, and he did start posting good numbers? Should they move him if they are out of contention? Who steps up into his role as Captain, leader, and mentor?

    Loui and Robi are the current alternates, but would either one make sense as the captain? Robidas is getting on in years so it doesn't make sense to give him the role. Is Loui the man, maybe, maybe not. Really the one would be Benn. He's the new face of the franchise, has his shiny new contract, and should move into that job eventually. But is he ready to be that leader yet?

    The mentor role. For now they Stars have plenty there with Jagr, Whitney, and Morrow which is good considering the pack of talent warming up in Austin and elsewhere. But Jagr and Whitney aren't going to be around that much longer. A couple of more years each tops. A lot of that talent won't be there in time to benefit from those two, but Morrow could be.

    So what do we glean from that train of thought? Should Morrow continue to be untouchable in the near term? Or is it time to be bold and move him out for a veteran piece of two, namely defensemen and elevate guys like Benn and Eriksson to those roles Morrow has filled?

    This short season makes waiting to deal a bit trickier as you don't have as long to showcase a player for potential suitors. If a player is struggling or, in this case buried where he can't shine, your not going to get the best value if you did decide to move. In Brenden's case, with the what-have-you-done-lately mentality of pro sports, his value isn't the best.

    In this case I think the wise thing is holding onto Morrow for this season and trying to make a play for a free agent defenseman in the offseason. If Joe changes his mind about trading him, wait until next season before shopping him around, unless as I mentioned before injuries or struggling players open up a top six spot for him to strut. Give him a chance to up his value first.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

  3. #108
    NoWayOut's Avatar
    NoWayOut is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,853
    Location
    Harlan
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default

    Very important addendum to that previous post. This shoots holes in the real world portion of my previous post.

    I was mistaken in thinking Morrow was signed through next season. He's UFA after this season. Missed that the first time through the article. So now it's down to whether or not Nieuwy believes Brenden can regain his game as much Brenden himself believes he can.

    If not, Joe has to move now and gain something, though I do think it would be a good idea to sign him and give him an opportunity to do his thing and up his value, then move him out to a contender if they aren't going to have him finish as a Dallas Star.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

  4. #109
    NoWayOut's Avatar
    NoWayOut is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,853
    Location
    Harlan
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default

    I'm going to switch up the format for these recaps. Doing away with those novel-length writeups and use more of a bullet point type of presentation. So, onward and upward....

    -The same recurring issues struck again. Turnovers, bad passes, too many penalties, and defense that looks lost at times. All these things spelled loss once again. The first three can be worked out relatively easily and quickly. The other, well that's going to be a work in progress.

    -At one point the defense looked like spectators. Zetts brings the puck into the Dallas zone and four, count 'em four, Stars converged on him. The same thing happened last Tuesday as well. I believe it was Ralph Strangis that opined then that they looked like they wanted front row seats to watch Zetts play. As he also correctly pointed out, great as Zetterberg is, guys there are four other Red Wings on the ice with him, you might want to pay attention to them also. They didn't learn, they did it again last night.

    -Tonight's 4-1 loss was the first game all season that wasn't decided by one goal, one way or the other.

    -Though they did surrender a goal, the penalty kill continues to look good. On the season they rank 11th in the league at 82.9%. And frankly they should be better than that, they've looked better then that, but they just keep getting put in such bad spots with huge clusters of penalties.

    -Speaking of the penalty kill, if your reading this Angus, is it me, or do the Stars seem to be creating better scoring chances shorthanded than when they're on the power play?

    -And now that we've broached the subject of the power play. It's early in the going but they currently rank 21st at 16%, versus last season's 30th and 13.5%.

    -Loui Eriksson continues his Motown magic with his eighth career goal in 14 games at the Joe. All told #21 has 13 points in those games. Simple plan, when in Detroit just give Loui the damn puck! Well they did tonight, unfortunately he wasn't enough, so maybe something more sophisticated is called for.

    That's it for now. I may toss up some more thoughts later, as I'm sure they'll come to me after a couple of beers.
    Last edited by NoWayOut; January 30, 2013 at 2:06 AM.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

  5. #110
    bondon's Avatar
    bondon is online now
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,518
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Legend

    Default

    Was so upset watching this game...really thought this was a great opportunity for the Stars to break out and score a bunch of goals considering the insane advantage they were given in the first period where they spent most of it on the PP.

    Felt bad for Lehtonen too. The guy made some truly incredible saves in this game. He was hung out to dry pretty badly by his team IMO.

  6. #111
    NoWayOut's Avatar
    NoWayOut is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,853
    Location
    Harlan
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Was so upset watching this game...really thought this was a great opportunity for the Stars to break out and score a bunch of goals considering the insane advantage they were given in the first period where they spent most of it on the PP.

    Felt bad for Lehtonen too. The guy made some truly incredible saves in this game. He was hung out to dry pretty badly by his team IMO.
    All the bad passes, turnovers, and inability to get the puck into the offensive zone and cycle it to create shooting lanes is killing them. They either turn the puck over or they just shoot into a wall of humanity. Gotta shoot where they ain't if your gonna score son.

    Yeah Lehtonen and Nilstorp have been men alone on an island when they're in there. Something positive, albeit tiny, is that the last two games they have finally held the opposition to less than 30 shots-on-goal. But still the shots they are allowing are quality shots, and there's only so much any goalie can do in those situations. Plus once again those turnovers all too often hang Kari out to dry.
    Last edited by NoWayOut; January 30, 2013 at 1:59 AM.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

  7. #112
    bondon's Avatar
    bondon is online now
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,518
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Legend

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    All the bad passes, turnovers, and inability to get the puck into the offensive zone and cycle it to create shooting lanes is killing them. They either turn the puck over or they just shoot into a wall of humanity. Gotta shoot where they ain't if your gonna score son.

    Yeah Lehtonen and Nilstorp have been men alone on an island when they're in there. Something positive, albeit tiny, is that the last two games they have finally held the opposition to less than 30 shots-on-goal. But still the shots they are allowing are quality shots, and there's only so much any goalie can do in those situations. Plus once again those turnovers all too often hang Kari out to dry.
    Yeah. Detroit's PK was doing a really good job of getting in the way of shots and getting in the way of passing lanes. That brief 5 on 3 powerplay the Stars had looked atrocious. Watching it you wouldn't even have known that the Red Wings were down two men. They were hounding the puck carrier and the Stars couldn't handle it.

    I really hope they can turn this thing around. I had Benn, Roy, and just recently acquired Eriksson in my one year league. I invested big time in this team hoping they could score some goals but have been greatly disappointed so far =/

    Also, crazy how Lehtonen has two amazing highlight reel type saves two nights in a row eh? The second chance opportunity that he managed to get his stick on was awesome.

  8. #113
    NoWayOut's Avatar
    NoWayOut is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,853
    Location
    Harlan
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default

    The loss of a full training camp and exhibition games has really hurt the Stars. Benn being out for the first five games hasn't helped either. A lot of the issues with turnovers, bad passes and such can be traced back in part to that. They brought in so many new faces, kids up from the farm, and then they had only five days to try to build chemistry and get on the same page with one another.

    I think those guys will get the offense going eventually, and sort out some of the other problems, but it's going to take some time. Another thing to consider too, they haven't really had much time off to regroup and work on things in practice. So far they've already racked up seven games played in 11 days, while also losing two practice sessions to travel related issues.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

  9. #114
    NoWayOut's Avatar
    NoWayOut is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,853
    Location
    Harlan
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default

    Another great column from Mike Heika. Check it out....

    http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...ight-now.html/

    Reading that, then looking back on what I've written, I sound like I'm on the Stars payroll. Joe, where's my damn check?!?! I've been pimping your message all over this thread, pay me sucka!
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

  10. #115
    NoWayOut's Avatar
    NoWayOut is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,853
    Location
    Harlan
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default

    Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge
    The Dallas Stars have recalled Jamie Oleksiak & Antoine Roussel from AHL. Reilly Smith sent back to AHL.
    Won't argue that Smith isn't really benefiting during the Stars struggles so a stint back in Austin to continue refining his game isn't the worst thing for him.

    This also makes four rookie defensemen in Dallas now. We'll see how that works out, Oleksiak is a big body, like Dillon, which they need. Now if he and the rest can just figure out where they need to be, how to actually clear the net in front of the goalies, etc, etc. You know that thing called playing defense....

    Roussel was up briefly during camp. Not real familiar with him, but from what I recall reading then, he's all about the physical side, not much offense, more of an agitator, defensive type.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

  11. #116
    PrairieDog's Avatar
    PrairieDog is online now
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,453
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Superstar

    Default

    Interested to see how Oleksiak fares - any ideas about his potential point production? Decent numbers in the AHL this season, and he's been touted as having some offensive potential. Any chance he becomes a 35 pt mutli-cat guy?
    16 Team Dynasty,Daily H2H (Points)
    3C,6W,1F,4D,1G; G,A,PIM,+/-,STP,SOG,Hits,FOW,W,SO,GA,S
    C-Giroux,Kopitar,
    Duchene(W),Zajac
    W-
    Ryan,Oshie(C),Hornqvist,Neal,vanRiemsdyk,Nyquist(C),Perron,Komarov(C),Donskoi
    D-
    Klingberg,Carlson,Vatanen,Yandle,Seabrook,Pulock
    G-Andersen,Gibson,Ward,Bernier
    Fm-Samuelsson,Prince,Connor,Aho,Boucher,Guryanov,B.Le mieux,
    Kylington,VandeSompel,Schmaltz,Gillies,Sorokin

  12. #117
    NoWayOut's Avatar
    NoWayOut is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,853
    Location
    Harlan
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Interested to see how Oleksiak fares - any ideas about his potential point production? Decent numbers in the AHL this season, and he's been touted as having some offensive potential. Any chance he becomes a 35 pt mutli-cat guy?
    I think he can be that 35 pt multi-cat guy, but it's going to be a while before he gets there. From what I've read his offensive game is still kind of raw, but has been improving. His ceiling would see him become a poor-man's Chara. When your a 6' 7" 254 lb defenseman, the Chara comparisons are inevitable. Don't expect the next Big Z, but he should be in that mold.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

  13. #118
    Location
    Vancouver
    Rep Power
    32

    Dobber Sports Juggernaut

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    I'm going to switch up the format for these recaps. Doing away with those novel-length writeups and use more of a bullet point type of presentation. So, onward and upward....

    -The same recurring issues struck again. Turnovers, bad passes, too many penalties, and defense that looks lost at times. All these things spelled loss once again. The first three can be worked out relatively easily and quickly. The other, well that's going to be a work in progress.

    -At one point the defense looked like spectators. Zetts brings the puck into the Dallas zone and four, count 'em four, Stars converged on him. The same thing happened last Tuesday as well. I believe it was Ralph Strangis that opined then that they looked like they wanted front row seats to watch Zetts play. As he also correctly pointed out, great as Zetterberg is, guys there are four other Red Wings on the ice with him, you might want to pay attention to them also. They didn't learn, they did it again last night.

    -Tonight's 4-1 loss was the first game all season that wasn't decided by one goal, one way or the other.

    -Though they did surrender a goal, the penalty kill continues to look good. On the season they rank 11th in the league at 82.9%. And frankly they should be better than that, they've looked better then that, but they just keep getting put in such bad spots with huge clusters of penalties.

    -Speaking of the penalty kill, if your reading this Angus, is it me, or do the Stars seem to be creating better scoring chances shorthanded than when they're on the power play?

    -And now that we've broached the subject of the power play. It's early in the going but they currently rank 21st at 16%, versus last season's 30th and 13.5%.

    -Loui Eriksson continues his Motown magic with his eighth career goal in 14 games at the Joe. All told #21 has 13 points in those games. Simple plan, when in Detroit just give Loui the damn puck! Well they did tonight, unfortunately he wasn't enough, so maybe something more sophisticated is called for.

    That's it for now. I may toss up some more thoughts later, as I'm sure they'll come to me after a couple of beers.
    Aggressive PK, horrendous PP.

    Their PP was dismal last year too. Whitney and Jagr will help, but they don't have a big shot weapon on the back and and that lets teams cheat down low a lot.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

  14. #119
    Location
    Toronto
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Guru

    Default

    lines today:

    Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge
    Lines: Eriksson-Benn-Jagr; Whitney-Eakin-Ryder; Nystrom-Fiddler-Vincour; Morrow-Roussel-Garbutt
    Morrow getting more 4th line treatment .....
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

    If you are asking for advice and you don't provide ALL the relevant info you will not get quality responses and many forum members won't respond at all.

    Include all the details, e.g.; League and roster size, league type (H2H, Roto, Pts only), scoring set-up, daily/weekly starts, how many start at each position, max gp, your roster etc etc.

  15. #120
    NoWayOut's Avatar
    NoWayOut is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,853
    Location
    Harlan
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default

    I'm late on getting this posted, but here's some more on Jamie Oleksiak and what this means for the Stars....

    http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...e-can-do.html/
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Page 8 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 58 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •