Page 63 of 102 FirstFirst ... 13 53 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Dallas Stars

Well so much for weathering the pushback. Yeesh!!!

I can bang on and on about that first one, but won't. The other two were just bad play on our part. Klingberg proving that old axiom about taking the good with the bad when you play rookies. Horrible decision to try and play the puck up the middle instead of up the boards setup MacKinnon. Would have liked to see Kari stand his ground and challenge MacKinnon there instead of retreating deep into his crease. What's the worst that could happen there....oh yeah, exactly what happened anyway. He made the stop with the pad but drifted over the goal line with the puck because his momentum was carrying him there.

And once again missed opportunities on the power play are killing the Stars. 0-for-3 again. And this the day after they focus heavily on power play in practice.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

The Stars power(less) play....0-for-4 today and 0-for-12 over the last three games.....to quote The Simpsons Bumblebee Man....Ay! Ay! Ay! No es bueno!!! The power play sucks right now in any language.

Dobber Sports Wizard

0-for-5. And as Daryl Reaugh just pointed out they spent the entire practice, entire practice, yesterday working on the power play. What was it, a 5 minute practice. This team has too much offensive talent to be this bad on the power play. I'm not going to say they should be a top five unit, but damn they should be somewhere in or near the top 10.

Time to start taking a long hard look at the work of Curt Fraser who runs the power play for the Stars. Nothing seems to be working at the moment, and he's the one constant. Personnel on ice doesn't seem to have any effect no matter the combos, so you've got to ask if the scheme is flawed.

Banned

Two teams I thiught would be further up the standings this season

Dobber Sports Wizard

They're still in the playoff race but damn, with so many teams ahead of, or close to, them going head-to-head today to cough up a 2-0 lead and come away with zero points is very bad.

They had Colorado throughly beaten for the first 20 and then just pi$$ed it away. Kari is back to being bad Kari....just wow. The last six days have scuttled all the positive momentum they built up the prior two or three weeks. Three games in the division and they come away with only two out of 6 points. And get nothing in the game at home against the Jackets. Things aren't as bad as the were in November and early December, but it's starting to trend back that way.

Dobber Sports Wizard

DefendingBigD ‏@DefendingBigD 8m8 minutes ago
    The irony of ending the game on the power play is so not lost on Stars fans.
    Oh, truer words were never spoken.....

Dobber Sports Ninja

There's really no hope for this team. I'm throwing in the towel. Just praying Lehtonen can eek out wins at a respectable level for the rest of the season.

The defense is just hopeless. That giveaway to MacK... just embarrassing. Stars have no hope if Lehtonen can't stand on his head like he did last season.

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's not all hopeless. They showed just a week ago they can play good hockey. Once again it's the little things that are killing them. Yeah you have to accept that they aren't going to live up to the preseason hype, which was a bit misplaced. In your case blayze, yeah I think your $500 is circling the bowl. Lehtonen and Kuemper....the Hockey Gods took a healthy whizz in your fantasy hockey Cheerios.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Lindy has been studying at the Bill Belichick school of injury reporting. A little over a week ago was the cryptic reference to an injured forward who later turned out to be Antoine Roussel. In Mike Heika's morning skate update today he summed up Ruff thusly in reference to Seguin, Benn, and Fiddler: "one of the three is worse off than the other two".

Clear as mud.

If everybody goes these are the lines Heika and Stepneski are projecting...

Benn - Seguin - Ritchie
    Cole - Spezza - Hemsky
    Roussel - Eakin - Garbutt
    Horcoff - Fiddler - Sceviour

Goligoski - Klingberg
    Schlemko - Daley
    Benn - Demers

Lehtonen

Surprised at Schlemko in over Oleksiak. Oleksiak had been improving and his being a healthy scratch is flying in the face of the Stars stated intention of keeping the rookie defensemen playing, be it in Dallas or Cedar Park. Not to say that Oleksiak won't get the start tonight, but to see Schlemko getting what appears to be the bulk of the work in practice seems odd if Oleksiak is going to play. We'll see how that plays out.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Lindy has been studying at the Bill Belichick school of injury reporting. A little over a week ago was the cryptic reference to an injured forward who later turned out to be Antoine Roussel. In Mike Heika's morning skate update today he summed up Ruff thusly in reference to Seguin, Benn, and Fiddler: "one of the three is worse off than the other two".
    Well, I guess that's better than "One out of three ain't bad."

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Well, I guess that's better than "One out of three ain't bad."
    From what I've read it looks like the one that's worse off is either Benn or Fiddler. Seguin says he feels better, has more energy, so he seems like he's a go. Now that I think about it, and given my track record trying to guess what the Stars will do, it's Seguin.

Seriously though I'd be surprised if any one of them missed the game.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Well damn, I fell asleep at the controls last night and forgot to comment on the game. Well let's see what I can recall off the top of my head here.

-It seems the Stars have found the answer to their backup goalie issues. Let Kari start and give up a couple of softies, yank him and let Lindback shine. That's twice he's come on in relief and looked like an NHL goalie. Now I'm not saying he's anything more than average, but average is a huge leap forward for Dallas backups. Just like in Edmonton he got dented fairly early after coming on but rebounded nicely. The second goal last night was as much on Daley as Lindback. Yeah Anders could have been in better position but Daley had the puck on his stick twice and couldn't clear it out of the crease.

If I'm Lindy I give him the next start while his head is in a good place and see if he can build off that performance. Kari is still chasing his own ass and whatever issues he has going on inside that coconut of his.

-Speaking of Kari here's an article from Mike Heika over the weekend about what's behind his struggles....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2015...f-season.html/

-I'll let Daryl Reaugh break down the game with his vlog. Better at it than I could ever hope to be...

http://video.stars.nhl.com/videocent...953&catid=1523

-Today's mini bombshell from Mark Stepneski, Ruff thinking of splitting up Seguin and Benn.

Lindy Ruff said he is considering splitting up Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin to change things up. Seguin centered Antoine Roussel and Ryan Garbutt today. Benn was on a line with Cody Eakin and Brett Ritchie.

"Sometimes a change of roommates can get you going in the right direction," Ruff said.
    I know they are both in a bit of a goal scoring funk, but this might be a tad extreme. Then again it might work. It could also be a one-off practice thing that never sees the ice in game action. Who knows.

-I do think some of Seguin's slow down is down to the law of averages. Given the pace he was on a bit of slow down isn't shocking. I mean he was on pace for 60+ and I don't care who you are, unless your name is Crosby or Stamkos, I wouldn't predict that level of scoring.

Now here's the other side of the coin. I think an equally big culprit is his focus on being better defensively. The slow down started in and around the time that Lindy publicly called on him and Jamie to step up their efforts in that area, to lead by example. Seguin has taken that to heart and is making strides in his defensive play. He's been more active on the forecheck and backcheck as well. He's been improving in all areas away from the offense, which we all know he possesses in spades. I think he's taken Lindy's challenge seriously and it's had an effect on his scoring as he's not cheating towards the offensive side of the puck as much. That's not to say he hasn't had his chances, he has had a bit of bad puck luck over the last couple of weeks as well.

-One last aspect that has played into both Benn and Seguin's power outage. The Stars have been rolling four lines quite a bit lately and with all the lines getting into the act Ruff hasn't had to lean as heavily on the Seguin line to pull the wagon. They've gotten secondary scoring from the Spezza, Eakin, and Fiddler lines lately.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Looks like the Stars will be without Trevor Daley and Brett Ritchie tonight, and Ritchie has been placed on IR but nothing in the media about what the injury is. Jokipakka and McKenzie were called up to fill the spots, but Mike Heika is reporting that it's possible neither one will be on the ice for this one. Fiddler is back and it's possible that Ruff reunites Sceviour with Benn and Seguin. He's also projecting Jordie and Demers would move up to second pairing and Schlemko and Oleksiak would be the third pair.

Looks like Lehtonen back in net.

And in old news, if anybody knows the whereabouts of the Stars PP, please contact Jim Nill or Lindy Ruff immediately. When last seen.....well frankly nobody remembers the last time it was seen. It's believed to be traveling with Kari Lehtonen's confidence.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Do my eyes deceive me or did we just win the second game of a back-to-back? I know what I'll be watching over breakfast in the morning.

Banned

I've watched quite a few Stars games lately and this is what strikes me the most (NoWayOut correct me if I'm wrong)...they do a lot of things well, their transition game is good (very quick), they make good outlet passes, they drive the net well, they pass well, they keep their legs moving and draw penalties and generate good scoring chances. But the flaws I see in their game seems to often be a whole bunch of little things. Like I lost count on how many times they iced the puck because the skater didn't take 2 more steps to gain the red line, or because they flipped it too hard/high instead of banking it off the boards into the neutral zone. The same goes for the defensive zone...far too many lackluster chips up the middle instead of hard off the boards. Or not finishing their checks, the guy has the puck, you can separate him from it and take him out of the play with a good solid hit but they often let off a bit which lets him either retain possession or rejoin the play quickly. I've watched Calgary quite a bit this season too and its all these little things that I credit to them exceeding all expectations this season, is it possible the Stars are doing the opposite and that's why they aren't the team they were last season?