Page 20 of 102 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 70 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Superstar

I wonder if the flat performance last night against the Ducks at home was because the players knew this was coming, or if this is a result of the flat performance last night?

I suspect the former.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by J_Blu3Jack3t View Post
    JAGR/ROY/?MORROW/?ROBIDAS There are a few 2nds 3rds and a prospect there.

Meh at this point there is no reason to keep Robidas? It is going to be painful either way. Might as well get another pick or porspect and clear up for UFAs. They SHOULD have kept Souray... That would have given them a ton of what they needed. Anywhos Gully is next after Robi imo.
    C- Sharp, Marleau, Dubz
    LW- J Neal, T Hall,
    RW- Nichushkin, Ovechkin, Wheller, Tarasenko
    D- Markov, Shattenkirk, Del Zotto, Seabrook
    G- Lehtonen, Smith, Thomas
    12 Team Yahoo

IR -

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I wonder if the flat performance last night against the Ducks at home was because the players knew this was coming, or if this is a result of the flat performance last night?

I suspect the former.
    I'm sure management already had their minds made since Morrow and they were waiting for an opportunistic time to make pulling the trigger more palatable.

Happens all the time when coaches get fired.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I suspect the former.

I think it was the recent string of poor/flat performances that finally forced Joe's hand. The signs have been there for a couple of weeks now that this was coming, or was at least a real possibility.

I think you'll see them be very active this offseason. This is just the beginning.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by J_Blu3Jack3t View Post
    Meh at this point there is no reason to keep Robidas? It is going to be painful either way. Might as well get another pick or porspect and clear up for UFAs. They SHOULD have kept Souray... That would have given them a ton of what they needed. Anywhos Gully is next after Robi imo.
    Gully probably doesn't go until the offseason. His contract is up after this season, take the time now to start searching for his replacement and do it right and be thorough. Joe's waived the white flag on this season, possibly with a little nudge from Gaglardi.

I did say before that they should keep Robidas, but now with the moves being made and the playoffs pretty much out of reach, dangle him. Detroit is a team that would likely come calling for his services and could offer up some good pieces to get him. I look for Nystrom to be heading out today or tomorrow as well.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I kind of like what this says about Gaglardi. At least it seems that he's looking to build for the future and is not entirely focused on the short-term returns of possibly hosting a couple of home playoff games.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I'm sure management already had their minds made since Morrow and they were waiting for an opportunistic time to make pulling the trigger more palatable.

Happens all the time when coaches get fired.
    I'm pretty certain that moving Morrow was pretty much a foregone conclusion for quite some time now, and that likely would have happened regardless of where they were in the standings.

I'm guessing that when they signed Jagr it may have been with the idea that "If we're winning, great, and if not we can likely get something good for him at the deadline. Either way, it's a win-win."

However, Roy surprises me somewhat. When they moved Otter for him, I don't think they intended that to be for the short-term.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Padawan

So did Dallas acquire all these star elderly guys in the offseason to setup trades at the deadline for picks? Cant remember what Jagr and Roy went for ( I think Jagr was a FA pick up and Roy was traded for?)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kluu View Post
    So did Dallas acquire all these star elderly guys in the offseason to setup trades at the deadline for picks? Cant remember what Jagr and Roy went for ( I think Jagr was a FA pick up and Roy was traded for?)
    Jagr was a free agent signing, and Roy came in the Ott trade.

The were acquired to try and make a push for the playoffs, or at least that was Joe's belief then. I think until the last week or so Niuewendyk still thought this team could sneak in. Now he's seen the playoffs aren't happening with this roster, and it's time to look ahead.

Also with Roy there was no progress being made on a contract extension and they didn't want him walking away for nothing at the end of the season.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I kind of like what this says about Gaglardi. At least it seems that he's looking to build for the future and is not entirely focused on the short-term returns of possibly hosting a couple of home playoff games.
    That was pure speculation on my part, but based off of some comments I read from Gaglardi about two weeks ago. He said then that he wasn't planning any drastic shakeups with the front office or coaching staff at that time. Here's the article I got that from...

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...ight-now.html/

The gist of it being playoffs or not, he expects the team to play better. Since then nothing has really changed about their play. I think he let it be known to Joe that he had better fix things. The current course was not going to result in any meaningful change to the play on ice, and that was unacceptable.

I think Gaglardi is going to be a good, even great, owner. He doesn't appear to view the Stars as some Billionaire's toy. He's going to hold people accountable for the product on ice, but at the same time he's not going to be a meddler. He'll give his people a good amount of freedom to pursue their plans to build a winner, but they have to deliver. He'll be patient but don't mistake his patience for complacency.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Ray Whitney's Value

Hey all, I'll probably end up posting a thread about this on the main board, but how do the Roy and Jagr trades affect Ray Whitney's value?

I intended on scooping him up for the remainder of this week (3 games) to slot into my LW. Seems he's been pretty hot since coming back, but does he take a big hit now? Or does he pick up the slack?
    12-team H2H Yahoo League
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1UTIL, 2G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, Sv%, SO

C: Benn (LW), Marchessault (LW), Galchenyuk (RW)
    LW: Ovechkin, Marchand, Pacorietty
    RW: Rust (LW), Buchnevich, Fiala (LW), Zuccarello
    D: Josi, Theodore, Sergachev, Dahlin
    G: Mrazek, Khudobin, Sorokin
    IR: Grzylcek

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by NJDev803 View Post
    Hey all, I'll probably end up posting a thread about this on the main board, but how do the Roy and Jagr trades affect Ray Whitney's value?

I intended on scooping him up for the remainder of this week (3 games) to slot into my LW. Seems he's been pretty hot since coming back, but does he take a big hit now? Or does he pick up the slack?
    I don't really see his value changing much. With Jagr gone Eriksson stands to benefit the most as he's back with Benn....again. As I remember Eakin and Whitney have had some good chemistry, though that might have been Ryder and Eakin I'm thinking of. So much line juggling this season with injuries and what not.

Either way I think Eakin and Whitney will be a good pairing.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NJDev803 View Post

I don't see Whitney as being especially hurt by this. He's pretty damn reliable. It's not as if Dallas shipped away all of their good forwards or something.

I do think this helps Eakin a lot, I'd have snapped him right up had he been available in my league.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Any news of Fraser being called up, now that there's a couple of openings?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Any news of Fraser being called up, now that there's a couple of openings?
    I don't think he will, but I wouldn't rule it out. The AHL playoffs are about to begin and he's key piece for them. It all comes down to whether they feel he'll benefit more from a long, hopefully, playoff run in the "A", or from getting exposure to the NHL, albeit in what may be trying times from a wining perspective.

Keep this in mind about AHL callups for all teams over the remainder of the season. From Mike Heika's blog post earlier today....

The AHL rules are changed this season. If you want a player to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, he has to be on the AHL roster on April 3 (Wednesday). That player can then be called up, and can even play Wednesday at Anaheim. It’s a paper transaction, so it’s easy to do.

But here is the catch: Each team can only make four call-ups after April 3. That means that if the team sends Reilly Smith and Tomas Vincour to the AHL, and then calls them up to play against the Ducks, that’s two call-ups. They would then have only two more for the final 13 games. What if there are injuries? What if they simply want to make a move with the goalies?