Page 18 of 102 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Guru

lines from practice today:

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika 3m Stars lines at morning skate in Denver stay the same: Whitney-Benn-Eriksson. Morrow-Roy-Cole. Smith-Eakin-Jagr. Nystrom-Fiddler-Roussel.

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika 2m D-Pairs the same, too. Dillon-Robidas. Goligoski-Daley. Jordie Benn-Oleksiak. Looks like Lehtonen vs. Varlamov in goal.

Dobber Sports Wizard

That one stung last night. The loss to Colorado marks the sixth time this season, and second game in a row, where the Stars have blown a lead of two or more. Those six blown leads have resulted in four losses. Unlike Monday night, the Stars just couldn't overcome their inconsistent play to pull out the win.

In spite of that, Jagr continues to own the Avs personally. Last night's three point effort marks eight straight games in which he has scored a point against Colorado.

I haven't been able to track down any info on Whitney's injury. He left the game with an upper body injury, but there has been no word from the Stars about the extent or whether it will keep him out of tonight's game in LA.

Going back to the opening topic, here's a bit from blog post by Tim Cowlishaw about Tom Gaglardi. It rings even louder and clearer after last night...

“Having said that, when the season began, I thought we’d be a playoff team. To say I expect it now? That’s a small stretch.”

The alarming thing — and whether it’s more alarming for Nieuwendyk, who already has made two coaching changes as GM, or for Gulutzan I don’t know — is what Gaglardi sees when he watches the team he bought from Tom Hicks and his many creditors in November 2011.

“I want to see us play better hockey. I haven’t liked the kind of hockey we’ve played the last few games,” he said.
    And that was before last night, which needless to say, didn't help matters.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Couple of quick additions...

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika 15m
    Kari Lehtonen expected to get the start in net for Stars vs. Kings tonight.

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika 15m
    Stars recall Alex Chiasson from AHL. He's depth for possible injuries, illness. Should be in LA tonight.

That last could be a sign concerning Whitney. All I have been able to dig up so far is from Mark Stepneski listing Whitney as questionable.

Dobber Sports Wizard

What?!? Two consecutive wins in the second half of back-to-backs. And a shutout to boot! Hey we'll take it anytime. You kind of had to cringe at the thought of what awaited the Stars in LA after choking away a win in Denver the night before. Add in the fact that a back-to-back going from Denver to LA is harder from a travel and rest perspective then a simple Edmonton to Calgary short hop. But they prevailed in spite of those obstacles, and if you get right down to it mostly due to Lehtonen's absolutely possessed one man performance.

A side bar to this is now the Stars are one point out of eighth place. Good you say, and right you are to say it, but this really puts Niuewendyk in an interesting bind. Are the Stars a legit playoff contender and therefore a deadline buyer? Or are they still a pretender and a seller, acquiring pieces and building for the future? And he has to do this while having his future as the GM evaluated by Gaglardi. No pressure Joe. To quote one of the more quotable personalities to pass through Dallas, Terrell Owens, "Getcha popcorn ready", cause this is going to be interesting.

Of note, Jagr's game winner was his 116th of his hall-of-fame career. The goal was also his 667th, putting him 13 behind Super Mario for ninth all-time. And if he catches Lemieux, Stevie Y and Messier would only be two and four goals, repectively, ahead of him on the all-time list. We'll pretend that Finnish shadow on his heels isn't really there.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Alex Chiasson and Jamie Oleksiak were both re-assigned to the Texas Stars. Chiasson was called up to serve as injury backup last night in LA. Oleksiak's return means that Aaron Rome is most likely close to rejoining the lineup after his broken foot kept him on the shelf recently.

Dobber Sports Wizard

After reading reports from today's morning skate it appears the Stars will roll with these lines...

Whitney - Benn - Eriksson
    Morrow - Roy - Cole
    Roussel - Eakin - Jagr
    Nystrom - Fiddler - Vincour/Smith

The decision between Vincour and Smith is being called a game time decision.

Jack Campbell has been re-assigned to the Texas Stars and Richard Bachman is back in Dallas and will backup Lehtonen tonight. The start tonight will be Kari's 11th straight.

Tonight starts the Stars longest home stand of the season, five games. Oddly, Texas home cooking hasn't agreed with them lately. As you will recall the last extended home stand ended 1-2-1. They can't have that this time around if there's any hope of ending that pesky playoff drought.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Wow, talk about a quick about-face. Throw the lines from the morning skate in the trash. From Heika and Stepneski, here are the lines from warmups...

Nystrom - Benn - Jagr
    Whitney - Roy - Eriksson
    Morrow - Eakin - Cole
    Roussel - Fiddler - Vincour

Reilly Smith is a healthy scratch. Also Heika reports scouts from the Lightning, Sens, Hawks, and Leafs in attendance.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Twitter has lit up here over the last few minutes with word of a pending Morrow trade. The Pens are the other team, still waiting for Morrow to waive NTC before it goes through. Speculation is it could be Morrow for Morrow.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Twitter has lit up here over the last few minutes with word of a pending Morrow trade. The Pens are the other team, still waiting for Morrow to waive NTC before it goes through. Speculation is it could be Morrow for Morrow.
    That would be a good deal for both sides, but better for the Stars IMO...Morrow (the junior) has elite skills and Dallas is desperately in need of a PPQB.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Wizard

I have to admit I didn't see that one coming. A loss to the red hot Wild isn't a surprise. I mean you know when you've had the run of success against a team like the Stars have enjoyed against Minnesota at home, at some point the law of averages will win out and the streak will end. I just didn't see it coming in the fashion it did. 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, something like that not 7-4.

I haven't had time to sit down and watch the game, but perusing the stat sheet paints a familiar picture. One that we saw far too often early in the season, allowing the opposition to turn our end of the ice into a shooting gallery. I think they may be falling back into the mindset that it doesn't matter Kari will save us. He did for quite some time early, but even the best in the business can't stand up to that kind of barrage night after night. And it has begun to show over the last couple of weeks. In his last eight games Kari has surrendered three goals or more five times.

The loss drops Dallas to 10th, still just one point behind eighth place San Jose, and three back of seventh place St. Louis. Problem is those teams also have a game in hand on the Stars.

Moving on, Reilly Smith and Joe Morrow have been assigned to the Texas Stars. The Morrow move was to be expected, whereas the Smith move is more surprising on the surface. Since there was no subsequent call up and the Stars are off until Friday this is likely just a loan to help out the Texas Stars. Texas is playing in Houston tonight so it's just a short hop for Reilly to head down there and chip in. I would expect Smith to be recalled tomorrow. Morrow may get a recall as well just to work with the coaching staff and get acquainted during practice. Just like Dallas, the Texas Stars have a long layoff after tonight's game, so there would be time for him to spend a couple of days in Dallas before he needs to head back to Cedar Park.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Does the Morrow deal signify that the team is rebuilding and throwing in the towel on the season? Cause that would suck since I own Lehtonen!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Does the Morrow deal signify that the team is rebuilding and throwing in the towel on the season? Cause that would suck since I own Lehtonen!
    It's a good question that gets asked a lot by Stars fans, what direction is Joe trying to go in? Publicly Niuewendyk is saying this changes nothing about their desire to make the playoffs. Here's a blog post by Mike Heika about just that...

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...playoffs.html/

In light of the Morrow trade, the deal to acquire Cole makes a bit more sense. Cole is basically Brenden Morrow with a bit more jump in his step and some game left in his stick. So I think they still firmly believe they can make the playoffs, hence getting a vet that plays Brenden's style of hockey since they already knew they were going to move him but didn't want to go full rebuild. I don't think the full rebuild happens until the offseason, obviously hinging on making or not making the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    In my opinion they are, although Nieuwendyk denies this. But it's hard to say, since they have apparently been determined to move Morrow for a while now if they could get him to waive his no-trade.

They are also talking re-signing Jagr, which I think is crazy for a team that should be rebuilding. I'd be moving him for new pieces while his value is high (but maybe that's just the fantasy GM in me).

Maybe that loss to the Wild last night will wake them up and get their heads on straight.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    In my opinion they are, although Nieuwendyk denies this. But it's hard to say, since they have apparently been determined to move Morrow for a while now if they could get him to waive his no-trade.

They are also talking re-signing Jagr, which I think is crazy for a team that should be rebuilding. I'd be moving him for new pieces while his value is high (but maybe that's just the fantasy GM in me).

Maybe that loss to the Wild last night will wake them up and get their heads on straight.
    Yes and No.

Joe is trying to do a high-wire act. He's partially rebuilding that's why you have Jordie Benn, Dillon, Smith, Oleksiak, Eakin, etc, up and playing the minutes and roles that they do. On the other hand he's trying to make the playoffs which is why they signed Jagr and Whitney, traded for Roy and Cole. I can't say for sure, but my gut says history doesn't always recall these things favorably. To succeed you have to commit to one or the other. The next 16 games will be measure of how that is working.

The Jagr extension is about trying to put butts in the seats and some mentoring for the young guys. The sticker price is high for those sorts of those things in this case, but he's still productive so it's not a total waste to consider keeping him at this point. One of those behind the scenes deals the goes largely unnoticed is his work with the younger players outside of practice. He's put in some long nights with guys like Vincour working to help them elevate their game.

As for the loss getting their heads straight, we all thought that 8-1 drubbing by Chicago would accomplish that.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Yes and No.

Joe is trying to do a high-wire act. He's partially rebuilding that's why you have Jordie Benn, Dillon, Smith, Oleksiak, Eakin, etc, up and playing the minutes and roles that they do. On the other hand he's trying to make the playoffs which is why they signed Jagr and Whitney, traded for Roy and Cole. I can't say for sure, but my gut says history doesn't always recall these things favorably. To succeed you have to commit to one or the other. The next 16 games will be measure of how that is working.

The Jagr extension is about trying to put butts in the seats and some mentoring for the young guys. The sticker price is high for those sorts of those things in this case, but he's still productive so it's not a total waste to consider keeping him at this point. One of those behind the scenes deals the goes largely unnoticed is his work with the younger players outside of practice. He's put in some long nights with guys like Vincour working to help them elevate their game.

As for the loss getting their heads straight, we all thought that 8-1 drubbing by Chicago would accomplish that.
    Do you think they'll move Robidas before the deadline?

I suspect that the acquisition of a high-end D-prospect indicates that they might, just as the acquisition of Cole told me that it was bye-bye Brendan.

RETIRED