Page 16 of 102 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Wizard

I can't believe this. A 5-2 win and I forget to set the DVR before I left for work. Figures.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Here's good little read on Brenden Morrow and how he's taking what might be his last days in Dallas....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...al-trade.html/

Speaking of Morrow, he is questionable for tonight in Phoenix with a groin injury. Well, he says questionable, the Stars have said doubtful. Either way Matt Fraser has been recalled and would likely fill Brenden's spot if he can't go.

I would expect the same lines again tonight...

Eriksson - Benn - Jagr
    Roussel - Roy - Cole
    Morrow/Fraser - Eakin - Smith
    Nystrom - Fiddler - Garbutt

Dillon - Robidas
    Benn - Daley
    Goligoski - Oleksiak

I went back and checked the recent boxscores, and while Goli has been relegated to third pairing at even strength, he is still getting good minutes on the powerplay. That powerplay time is taking a bit of the sting out of that reduced TOI at even strength. And as long as things are clicking like they have been, I don't see that changing soon.

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's official, Morrow is out for tonight's game in Phoenix and Matt Fraser jumps into his spot on Eakin's line.

http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/03/0...att-fraser-in/

Dobber Sports Wizard

Tough loss tonight, and two valuable points gone. The story of the game can be summed up like this, Dallas-shots on goal: 21, Phoenix-Blocked Shots: 30. They just couldn't find a way to loosen up the Coyotes D in front of Smith. Most of the Stars best chances came off the rush, if they got in the zone and setup the 'Yotes stoned 'em.

The two goals allowed both came in the same manner, over pursuit of pucks behind the net that left openings for quick passes back out to open players with point blank chances. Other than those lapses the Stars looked fairly good defensively. They've shored things up admirably of late, not that there isn't still room for improvement.

Another key area where this one turned against the Stars was lack of converting on the powerplay. The Stars finished 1-for-5 overall, but only converted one of the two 5-on-3 chances. The one that they failed to convert was the killer as the Coyotes looked ripe for the picking.

This loss could sting even worse pending word on Jamie Benn's condition after a nasty late hit from Martin Hanzal. Benn took the point on Hanzal's shoulder square on the jaw, was slow to get up, and went straight for the trainers room after getting up. Hate to speculate as to the nature of the injury, but Jamie was certainly woozy leaving the ice. No word yet on how he's doing or what his availability will be for Tuesday tilt in Dallas against Nashville.

Dobber Sports Star

If Benn is out for a while, what do the lines look like with Whitney back? He's supposed to return tuesday
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    If Benn is out for a while, what do the lines look like with Whitney back? He's supposed to return tuesday
    This pure speculation but they might look like this....

Eriksson - Roy - Jagr
    Whitney - Eakin - Cole
    Morrow/Fraser - Roussel - Smith

Roussel can play center in a pinch and they have used him there a time or two. Given his play of late, if Gulutzan does slot Roussel as a center it may be on the third and Fiddler stays where he is. He could also swap that around and put Roussel as the fourth line center and Fiddler on the third, but I don't think that's the way they'd go. They could also if need be call up Wandell from the Texas Stars, but I think that's a real long shot. He's pretty much done in Dallas.

Dobber Sports Ninja

The lines at the Stars practice right now don't make me too comfortable as an Eriksson owner.

Smith-Eakin-Jagr
    Whitney-Roy-Cole
    Fraser-Roussel-Eriksson (wtf?)
    Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt

Hoping that they're just experimenting with things. I figured that Cole/Roy/Whitney would be a line upon Whitney's return given the need for a physical player on Roy's line, as well as Cole's history with Whitney. The first and third lines though are whoa.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I will offer my thoughts tomorrow when I get home. Long story, but I'm stuck on the road with only this phone for internet. Tiny screen + microscopic keyboard = total suckage.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    The lines at the Stars practice right now don't make me too comfortable as an Eriksson owner.

Smith-Eakin-Jagr
    Whitney-Roy-Cole
    Fraser-Roussel-Eriksson (wtf?)
    Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt

Hoping that they're just experimenting with things. I figured that Cole/Roy/Whitney would be a line upon Whitney's return given the need for a physical player on Roy's line, as well as Cole's history with Whitney. The first and third lines though are whoa.
    Alright I'm home....finally.

I was just reading Mike Heika's blog post from yesterday. He referenced those lines, but he indicated in the article that Gulutzan did a lot juggling with the lines and that was the most noteworthy combos, just for the sheer oddity of it. Part of doing that may have been to put Loui back in his more familiar and accustomed right wing and see if there might be a spark there. I don't think there's much to worry about, just a coach playing mad scientist in practice. We'll see when today's morning skate is posted whether or not that happens again. If so then it becomes something to monitor much closer.

The move up to the first line for Eakin is gutsy by Gulutzan, if it comes to pass. I'd like to see that come to fruition, if god forbid Jamie Benn is out, to see how Eakin handles it.

In other news, Francis Wathier and Matt Fraser have been sent back to the Texas Stars, and Tomas Vincour has been recalled to Dallas.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I was sifting through twitter and see where Heika tweeted this for the expected lineup....

Smith - Eakin - Jagr
    Whitney - Roy - Cole
    Eriksson - Roussel - Vincour

and the now regular D pairs

Dillon - Robidas
    Benn - Daley
    Goligoski - Oleksiak

Lehtonen get the nod in net.

We'll get right to the elephant in the room, what the hell is Loui doing on the third line? I haven't found anything stating a reason why, but after some contemplation I think it's all down to avoiding an all rookie line. With Morrow and Benn out there's not much else Gulutzan can do to insure that veteran presence on each line. And the Stars do like to try and roll three scoring lines out every night.
    Last edited by NoWayOut; March 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thumbs up Two key cogs?

Hi guys, stumbled upon this thread searching for Loui Eriksson news. Great work Rex!

Anways, I've acquired Eriksson and Goligoski in two separate trades this year. Keeper league, points only. How do you see these two performing for the 2nd half and beyond? Hope this last little slump is only a blip...

Thanks

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Skooch22 View Post
    Hi guys, stumbled upon this thread searching for Loui Eriksson news. Great work Rex!

Anways, I've acquired Eriksson and Goligoski in two separate trades this year. Keeper league, points only. How do you see these two performing for the 2nd half and beyond? Hope this last little slump is only a blip...

Thanks
    Thanks Skooch.

Let's start with Goligoski. He's responded well from that benching about a month ago. Since then he's got nine points in the 14 games since. I can easily see him matching that total, and even improving on it, say 12-15 points for here to the end. His being relegated to third pairing duties has cut into his even strength production, but in spite of that role he's been logging a good amount of time on PP1. In fact five of those nine points have come on the powerplay, so a nice bonus for his owners. Beyond this season, I see him moving back into the #3 or 4 D role, with plenty of powerplay time. Reasonable to expect 35pts+ next season as the team continues to gel with all the young guys coming along.

Loui has not been his usual dependable self. A lot of it can be attributed to losing his spot on Benn's wing to Jagr, and having to get acclimated to playing with Derek Roy. Some of it too can be chalked up to playing more left wing than right wing, which is his natural. Both of those have really taken a chunk out of his numbers. I've preached faith in him and I still do, in spite of this rough patch. He's too good, and has the track record to back it up, to believe he can't right the ship. I'd say expect 18 points give or take a couple the rest of the way. Once Jagr moves on, I'd look for Loui to be right back with Benn, and you can bank on a full 82 games played and 70+ points in future seasons.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks Rex, that's great insight Hard to get that deep into things managing a team sometimes. Thanks!! I always liked using Dallas in NHL 94, the greatest hockey game ever made. Russ Courtnall and Modano were money.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Skooch22 View Post
    Thanks Rex, that's great insight Hard to get that deep into things managing a team sometimes. Thanks!! I always liked using Dallas in NHL 94, the greatest hockey game ever made. Russ Courtnall and Modano were money.
    No problem Skooch.

Dobber Sports Wizard

The latest on Benn is he's out again tonight....

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika
    I was chatting with the good people of the world, but I have been told that Morrow (groin) and Benn (wrist) are out vs. Ducks Thurs.

Not good news considering the next two opponents, the Ducks and Hawks. Still we can hope Jamie will be back for the Blackhawks game. These next two games are a tough test. You've got the top two teams in the West in town, your in the middle of a logjam in points, and the team comes in on a two game skid. And all without their best player, this is where we see just what the Stars are made of. This is getting into must win territory for the Stars.

It helps that Chicago and Anaheim don't play the same suffocating defensive style that Phoenix and Nashville do. They play a fast pace game which fits better with how the Stars play.