Page 10 of 102 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Wizard

See there you go. Whilst I was racking all three of my brain cells over this Goli scratch, and giving myself a terrific headache for my effort, Mike Heika posts a column that offers the explanation....

“Alex needs to get back to Alex’s level. It’s pretty cut and dried,’’ Gulutzan said.
    Full article here....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...edmonton.html/
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Would you look at that, back-to-back wins on the road! And three goals for in each. Been a while since the Stars had that kind of offensive output on the road. It wasn't an artistic masterpiece, but they don't award style points. So we take the two points and get ready for the toughest test so far, the Ducks at home on Friday. On to the bullet points....

- Jagr's OT winner was his 668th career goal and moves him into a tie for 10th with Luc Robitaille on the all-time list. You probably knew that already but it's certainly worth acknowledging.

- The Benn train is running at full steam now. Five points(3g 2a) in back-to-back games and a shiny plus-4. The road agrees with Jamie, now here's hoping home-cooking will at least keep things clicking if not take it up a notch.

- Keep the faith Loui owners. I know some are worried about his lack of shots and goals recently, but it isn't for lack of trying. He just needs to dial the sights in on his stick as the aim has been a bit off. He's had lots of shots sail wide, high, find iron, or blocked on the way in. He did pick up an assist on the power-play last night though and one shot. Fear not, he will reward the faithful.

- Seen an interesting stat last night. The Stars are now 70-0-8 when leading after two periods. They haven't lost in regulation when entering the final stanza with the lead, since Oct. 31, 2009 against Nashville. Says a lot about their ability to finish games, now they just have to work on those first two periods.

- Cody Eakin. Wow, just wow, this kid has been impressive! In a way it's a damn shame they don't have room for him to center a top-six line. On the other hand, once he gets a chance to play consistently with a pair of wingers and gel with them, the Stars may have an above average third line. For sure they have an above average 3C in Eakin. He's all over the ice creating opportunities for his linemates, himself, creating takeaways, and when needed laying a hit.

They have a kid with legit 2C skills and upside playing on the third line. And to Cody's credit, when he was moved down to make room for Roy, he hasn't moped over it. He's playing with the same fire and intensity he did when he was playing pivot on the second.

- The aforementioned Derek Roy has been good as well in his return. I know it's fashionable to bag on him about the injuries and all, but while Benn was out, he, Loui, and Jagr where getting it done for the Stars. Since coming back his line has been solid and once Loui fixes his aim, I look for those two to click once again and give Dallas a good one-two punch.

- A couple of statistical nuggets to finish off with. We're eleven games in and the Stars have yet to outshoot an opponent. They came close against the Oilers, 29-28, but success will be hard to find that way. And nine of the eleven games have been decided by one goal. Thank you to Kari and Co. for that.

That's all I got for now.
    Last edited by NoWayOut; February 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

God as an Eriksson owner it was so frustrating watching him on all of those two-on-one chances and see him not end up with anything because he'd either shot it sky high or he'd have his pass intercepted. He and Roy did have a sick game last night though.

Looks like Gulutzan really likes the combo of Roy and Eriksson and for good reason. The two of them are doing a really good job of using their speed and controlling play. The two of them played together in every situation (PK/PP/ES) and were buzzing all night. I'd say they were even better than Benn and Jagr's line last night despite the stat sheet.

Great write up NWO!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Let's hear it for my boy Lehtonen who continues to steal games for them despite the shitty defense!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    God as an Eriksson owner it was so frustrating watching him on all of those two-on-one chances and see him not end up with anything because he'd either shot it sky high or he'd have his pass intercepted. He and Roy did have a sick game last night though.

Looks like Gulutzan really likes the combo of Roy and Eriksson and for good reason. The two of them are doing a really good job of using their speed and controlling play. The two of them played together in every situation (PK/PP/ES) and were buzzing all night. I'd say they were even better than Benn and Jagr's line last night despite the stat sheet.

Great write up NWO!
    I hear you. I thought Loui had Dubnyk on that one point-blank short-side shot. CLANG!!! Of course he wasn't alone in that last night. How that one howitzer shot from Eakin didn't go in after hitting the inside edge of the post I'll never know.

Roy and Eriksson definitely have a chemistry, it's just Loui's touch has deserted him. Once he finds it again look out!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Let's hear it for my boy Lehtonen who continues to steal games for them despite the shitty defense!
    No doubt in my mind he's the Stars MVP so far. He's pulled their fat out of the fire single-handed more times then they probably care to admit.

Banned

lehtonen was the team mvp last season too. nobody ever questioned this guys talent, but it is nice to see that his health issues look to be behind him.

i think the stars need to rethink having roy man the point on the powerplay. i know he scored a goal from the point on the powerplay last night, but it was literally the first shot that he has gotten through traffic this season. i can't count how many times he has killed any momentum the team had.

anyways, nice to see the stars with their top two centers in the line-up for only the second game this season, though, they still haven't had their top six forwards healthy and playing together for a single game yet. the chemistry is coming, slowly... but the offense should come. especially with benn back and leading the charge.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    lehtonen was the team mvp last season too. nobody ever questioned this guys talent, but it is nice to see that his health issues look to be behind him.

i think the stars need to rethink having roy man the point on the powerplay. i know he scored a goal from the point on the powerplay last night, but it was literally the first shot that he has gotten through traffic this season. i can't count how many times he has killed any momentum the team had.

anyways, nice to see the stars with their top two centers in the line-up for only the second game this season, though, they still haven't had their top six forwards healthy and playing together for a single game yet. the chemistry is coming, slowly... but the offense should come. especially with benn back and leading the charge.
    Gulutzan has preached consistency with lineups recently, but I think this is still the one area where that consistency might be a ways off. They're following in last year's footsteps on the power-play. They are currently 23rd in the league at 13.9%, but that's only 0.4% above last year. And the rise of seven spots in the rankings is due to some surprise teams, Rangers, Bruins, Kings, and Wings, being even more futile on the man advantage.

Maybe allowing the power-play units some time to gel together is the answer, maybe it isn't, we'll see as time goes on. I do have to admit I haven't been taking careful notes on who's been manning which power-play lately. I will correct that going forward.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Some great observations from the mind of Heika.....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...ctations.html/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Gulutzan has preached consistency with lineups recently, but I think this is still the one area where that consistency might be a ways off. They're following in last year's footsteps on the power-play. They are currently 23rd in the league at 13.9%, but that's only 0.4% above last year. And the rise of seven spots in the rankings is due to some surprise teams, Rangers, Bruins, Kings, and Wings, being even more futile on the man advantage.

Maybe allowing the power-play units some time to gel together is the answer, maybe it isn't, we'll see as time goes on. I do have to admit I haven't been taking careful notes on who's been manning which power-play lately. I will correct that going forward.
    benn jagr morrow on one.
    eriksson ryder and vincour with roy on the point on the other.

your point about giving this team some time to gel is warranted and makes sense. they haven't been given much of a chance with all of the injuries and benn's contract stuff... sure would be nice to have whitney on that top line.

morrow has been terrible and he should not be on the top line or on either powerplay. just my opinion, of course. but he has been very, very bad. it seemed last night after the first period that benn and jagr just kind of ignored him and they played a lot better as a result.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    benn jagr morrow on one.
    eriksson ryder and vincour with roy on the point on the other.

your point about giving this team some time to gel is warranted and makes sense. they haven't been given much of a chance with all of the injuries and benn's contract stuff... sure would be nice to have whitney on that top line.

morrow has been terrible and he should not be on the top line or on either powerplay. just my opinion, of course. but he has been very, very bad. it seemed last night after the first period that benn and jagr just kind of ignored him and they played a lot better as a result.
    Right now Morrow is there for two reasons, net presence and to showcase him for a trade. His value is being in there to plug up the front of the net and try to screen for Jagr and Benn, while throwing in the odd goal or assist here and there. He does have a goal and an assist in the last two and is a plus-3 so he hasn't been dead-weight. If he can be that physical net presence and do what he's always done and bang bodies and do the dirty work, he should fetch interest from some contending teams towards the deadline.

I won't speculate who, that's not a strong suit of mine, but they are likely looking to move him. Mike Heika did mention in a tweet last week that he believes Morrow will be gone this season or in free agency. With Whitney out now is the time to show him off. Better to trade him and get something, rather than risk him walking for free in the offseason.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Pretty quiet today on the news front from both Stepneski and Heika, so we can assume that the forward line combos will be the same....

Morrow-Benn-Jagr
    Eriksson-Roy-Ryder
    Smith-Eakin-Vincour
    Nystrom-Fiddler-Roussel

And with the return of Goli to the lineup the D pairings should be....

Dillon-Robidas
    Rome-Daley
    Goli-Oleksiak

A mildly buzzed or slightly drunken recap later tonight.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Make it three-in-a-row for the good guys. And they've scored three goals in each. Come to think of it they now have three days off until the take the ice again. Hmmm, I detect a theme....

- Alex Goligoski responded to his recent healthy scratch with two helpers, one of which came on the power-play. Hopefully he can build on this effort.

- Loui Eriksson showed off that lethal wrister beating Fasth top shelf on the short-side, giving Dallas an insurance goal late. He's going to be just fine people. Fear not, unless your an opposing goalie, then you have much to be afraid of.

- The Stars were able to exploit one of the leagues worst penalty kill units for two goals on the man advantage. It could, should, have been three after that five minute major to Staubitz for his attempted neutering of Brenden Dillon. For now though getting any production from the power play is very welcome.

- The Stars finally outshot somebody!!! The shots ended up 28-21 in our favor. That's more like it!

- The kids are alright. Oleksiak, Dillon, and Eakin in particular just keep getting better and better every night. Roussel has quietly been good in his role as an agitator as well.

- Interesting bit that is both good and bad. I've never seen an entire line get sent off at the same time with penalties. Roussel, Fiddler, and Nystrom pulled off the feat in the final minute of the first. That's the bad, and it was mitigated somewhat by Perry and Souray getting tossed at the same time for the Ducks. The good is that they certainly had each other's backs.

- The Stars now have as many wins after 20 years in Dallas as they did in 26 seasons as the North Stars up in Minny, 758.

That's all I have for now. Enjoy the win!

Dobber Sports Wizard

This is just one of the reasons why you spend $4mil on a 40-year-old like Jagr....

https://twitter.com/bdougherty1102/s...009024/photo/1

One of those things that so often goes unnoticed at the time, and is only later seen indirectly through the benefits that stem from it. Even after all these years, your respect for Jagr just has to continue to grow and grow.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Few articles and notes to start the week...

- Jamie Benn has been named NHL's second star of the week...

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/2/...ar-of-the-week

- Here's today's practice notes from Mark Stepneski as well....

http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/02/1...actice-update/

- Also from Mark is this writeup on the Big Rig....

http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/02/1...th-every-game/