Page 17 of 102 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Wizard

Just realized I missed a great bit of news for the Stars, the re-alignment plan has passed. There will be much rejoicing in the streets. Gone are all those 9PM starts for fans, and all those frequent flyer miles for the team. And now the budding rivalry with Nashville gets a serious jolt into the realm of full fledged blood feud.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Looks like things are somewhat back to normal where Eriksson is concerned.

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika
    Stars lines look like: Whitney-Roy-Eriksson. Smith-Eakin-Jagr. Morrow-Roussel-Cole. Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Looks like things are somewhat back to normal where Eriksson is concerned.
    Good, would be nice to see that Roy/Eriksson/Whitney line explode tonight.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Good, would be nice to see that Roy/Eriksson/Whitney line explode tonight.
    One point so far for Loui!

Dobber Sports Wizard

I haven't had an opportunity to sit down and watch all of last night's game yet, so here's a link to an excellent post game blog post from Mike Heika....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...ay-night.html/

Dobber Sports Genius

Only the Devils bore me as much with what's going on with this team. They've got some serious talent, but I don't think Niewendyk is doing enough to make this team truly scary. I used to hate these guys back in the days when they were so freaking tough to play against. Such a shame to see this team degrade so much. I really hope they get better and quickly.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    Only the Devils bore me as much with what's going on with this team. They've got some serious talent, but I don't think Niewendyk is doing enough to make this team truly scary. I used to hate these guys back in the days when they were so freaking tough to play against. Such a shame to see this team degrade so much. I really hope they get better and quickly.
    I think there's still searching for a direction going on. Right now Nieuwendyk is walking a fine line, trying to make a push for the playoffs and at the same time trying to get the young guys involved. He needs to make decision one way or the other. Keep trading for aging vets to patch needs and mentor, or trade some of those vets to acquire picks and/or younger guys who are already playing in the NHL.

Even though it's been said Gaglardi is a patient owner, Nieuwendyk and Gulutzan should be feeling a little warmth under their seats. This trade deadline and offseason could be a referendum on Nieuwy's future, and a coach's job is very rarely safe. They were there when Gaglardi purchased the Stars, so they're not his men and he may at anytime decide he wants his guys in there instead.

For better or worse Nieuwendyk will always be judged by the Goligoski trade. I think in that case, with the team in bankruptcy, it was as much salary dump as anything. He tried to get something in return, but was really in a no-win situation knowing he'd most likely lose and lose big on any trade. Now I don't know that for sure, but I'll play devil's advocate for him there. His time as GM has really been a wash, plenty of good things, balanced by some bad.

I will say I think there's a lot to be optimistic about in Dallas, just not sure who it will be that finally discovers the team's identity and pulls everything together. Nieuwendyk and Gulutzan? Some other combo of GM and coach? We'll see soon enough.

Dobber Sports Wizard

The line juggling continues. These were the lines this morning per Mike Heika...

Eriksson - Roy - Jagr
    Whitney - Benn - Cole
    Morrow - Eakin - Smith
    Nystrom - Fiddler - Roussel

Jamie is being called a game time decision, but it's a good sign that he was part of a line and not off skating solo. Ryan Garbutt is looking doubtful because of a hand injury that he apparently received yesterday. Larsen is out and Oleksiak is back in on D. No word on what the D pairings were, but expect something like this...

Dillon - Robidas
    Benn/Goli - Daley
    Goli/Benn - Oleksiak

Dobber Sports Icon

Whoah - just got home and checking the scores...7-0, Sweet Georgia Brown!
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Whoah - just got home and checking the scores...7-0, Sweet Georgia Brown!
    It's now 8-1. I can go ahead and do tonight's recap now. It's very simple, the Stars had their asses handed to them in every conceivable facet of the game. It's that easy to sum up. Chicago has outplayed them in every way possible.

If the temperature wasn't already getting warm under Glen Gulutzan, after this game, and this losing streak, it should be getting very toasty. He's coaching for his next contract this year, and right now things aren't looking too good.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Perusing some post-game quotes and here's Jamie Benn's assessment....

“We (expletive) on our first goalie and we (expletive) on our second."

Crude, but accurate.

Heika's blog from this morning...

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...el-moves.html/

Dobber Sports Wizard

Been readin an article on Tom Gaglardi and his views after last night's debacle. Check it out....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...ight-now.html/

A couple of things stood out...

Asked if he planned any changes to coaching staff or management in the near future, he said: “No.”

Asked if he believed in a philosophy of patience with his team, he replied “Absolutely.”

Gaglardi was asked directly if he would consider or discuss possibly changing from GM Joe Nieuwendyk or coach Glen Gulutzan, and he expounded on his beliefs.

“I don’t think we gain anything by making dramatic changes right now,” Gaglardi said. “I think it’s important to measure what we’ve got, and I think we need a good period of time to do that. I don’t think there’s anything to gain from doing anything like that or discussing anything like that, and nothing has been discussed like that. Frankly, that’s not on my mind from where I sit.”
    Near the end we have this....

“It’s a patient group with a lot of experience,” he said. “I think Joe’s got a lot of wisdom, he’s wiser than his year’s. He’s a very patient guy, and I think Bob Gainey is the epitome of it. It was nice to watch the game with Bob, and it’s always nice to hear perspective from someone who has been around the game that long. So I think we’re all singing from the same songbook, and we all see things the same way. But if the way we’ve been playing lately continues through the season, then we might have a problem, so we’ve got to get this thing turned around. But I’m all focused on how we are going to play, and the standings will take care of themselves.”

He also stressed that while he will make decisions on the front office, management will make decisions on the coaching staff.
    Glen Gulutzan is very much on the hot seat now. That last sentence above says much. While Gaglardi isn't going to step in and fire him, he really didn't rally to his defense either. He pretty much gave Niuewendyk the green light to fire Gulutzan. At the very least, if they don't fire him, he won't be around after this season when his contract expires, barring a miraculous deep playoff run.

At the same time Niuewendyk has been served notice as well. Your every move will be closely scrutinized, and unless things start to take a more positive turn your head won't escape the axe. I agree with Gaglardi in that right now isn't the time for a major overhaul in the front office, the offseason would be better for that. Gaglardi seems to be setting the right tone from his position as owner. He will be patient, not making rash decisions, but will demand results as well.

Coaching, now that's a different animal. All the mental lapses, breakdowns in discipline, etc, are all on Gulutzan and his staff. Yes the players have to step up and take more pride in their game, but at some point you have to question the preparation and game planning by the coaching staff. And it all can't be laid off on the fact that they're playing so many young guys.

The next 41 days are going to be very telling for the futures of a number of people within the Stars organization.

Dobber Sports Wizard

More line juggling....

Whitney - Benn - Eriksson
    Morrow - Roy - Cole
    Smith - Eakin - Jagr
    Nystrom - Fiddler - Roussel

Dillon - Robidas
    Goligoski - Daley
    Benn - Larsen

Lehtonen

Looks like that's what the Stars will roll out tonight.

Dobber Sports Wizard

That was a much needed win last night. Gutsy as well since numerous players were battling "flu-like symptoms". Made for some interesting line juggling within the game itself as some of the guys were having to head for the trainers room during the game for attention.

Sitting just one point out of eighth at the moment, with a dreaded back-to-back looming. And it's the Kings in the second game. Another defining moment is at hand.

In the news, Jack Campbell gets the callup and Bachman joins Nilstorp in Cedar Park. Campbell could see his NHL debut in either Colorado or LA, but Mike Heika also speculated Lehtonen could go in both and the Bachman move may have been to get him playing time to work on fixing his game. Keep your eyes on this one, especially you Campbell owners.

Also from Mike, he was asked on twitter about Derek Roy and what could happen if they don't get an extension done by the trade deadline. Mike's guess is that a deal won't get done and he will be traded, but he did caution that that is merely his guess as of today. You wouldn't think that they'd trade Roy so soon, and after giving up Otter to get him, and after footing the bill for getting his shoulder patched up. Then again he is UFA and they have to keep him or get something for him. The spotlight is burning bright on GM Joe.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Load up on one year proven vets and when you don't luckbox the express to contender'ville you end up with decent picks for guys that won't be staying anyways.

JAGR/ROY/?MORROW/?ROBIDAS There are a few 2nds 3rds and a prospect there.

Would be nice if we could pry MDZ outa NY tho. Other wise I don't see much that will be franchise changing deals aside from picks. Still a one year outa bankruptcy team here with decent group coming up the youth train.

RE: Ryder > Cole. Nice cushion for Morrows departure but even more than that Loui is free to be happy goalucky again. ( and he is already ) Ryders floating and lack of D play made it apparently tuff on Loui who is arguably the 1/2 player on the team, and easier for teams to read/play what should have been a good option 2nd line. Don't know if any one else noticed the looks of disgust shaking head and hands etc from Loui those last few games, who rarely shows emotions in negative tone. But Ryder blatently did not pass to him numerous times over the "slump" 3 times in one game, where he had semi contested lanes and Loui was wide open. Once on an empty net as well while Loui was first slumping so to speak.

So we get Cole tougher bigger faster 2way play and great hands. At 2 years. Better than picks and a prospect considering what all is headed out imo.

Glad to see the Dallas thread still breathing good job
    C- Sharp, Marleau, Dubz
    LW- J Neal, T Hall,
    RW- Nichushkin, Ovechkin, Wheller, Tarasenko
    D- Markov, Shattenkirk, Del Zotto, Seabrook
    G- Lehtonen, Smith, Thomas
    12 Team Yahoo

IR -