Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: [Report] Doan apparently offered 4 year/30mil by Eastern Conference team.

Dobber Sports Pro

Or maybe it's the Devils' response to losing Parise? Lamoriello has always been a very sneaky dude.
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The Flyers have 12 forwards signed... most teams carry 14.
    The Flyers have $7.8m in cap space, $12.7m if Pronger is LTIR.
    Jake Voracek is still RFA, so his salary (prob $4m) isn't counted.

Flyers are definitely the likely possibility... Pittsburgh too though.

Dobber Sports Padawan

50 pts last year. He'd better have some massive 'intangibles' to warrant that kind of deal.
    12 Team Yahoo H2H Keeper (3 players/3 year max)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Regier lofted a seemingly innocuous quote during his Roy press conference. He said they were "in deep" with a particular free agent. Then yesterday during another interview he again said he was in contact with Doan's agent, expressing a desire to talk with him should he decide to listen to offers.

Love the rumor mill!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRockets05 View Post
    Or maybe it's the Devils' response to losing Parise? Lamoriello has always been a very sneaky dude.
    I'd love this. A Kovalchuk - Zajac - Doan line would be awesome, and according to cap geek the Devils have room..

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Yardie View Post
    50 pts last year. He'd better have some massive 'intangibles' to warrant that kind of deal.

It's way overpayment for sure, given his age (35). However Doan, while he puts up decent numbers (last year was relatively low for him), is ALL ABOUT INTANGIBLES. He provides possibly the greatest combination of skill, leadership, grit and work ethic of any player in the league, and is highly respected among his teammates and in the league generally - every single team in the league would love to have him on their squad, especially playoff contenders given that he'll be so valuable in the heat of NHL playoffs.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    The Flyers have 12 forwards signed... most teams carry 14.
    The Flyers have $7.8m in cap space, $12.7m if Pronger is LTIR.
    Jake Voracek is still RFA, so his salary (prob $4m) isn't counted.

Flyers are definitely the likely possibility... Pittsburgh too though.

I figured the Flyers too, but it could very well be the Islanders, they're still well under the cap floor of $54 million and could use another winger. Doan's final year could coincide with this team starting to beomce a real contender with the good young players they have.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Shane Doan has played 4 more playoff games (55 to 51), and earned less points (15G, 13A vs 15G, 19A) than Alexander Semin.

I am pretty sure that even though Doan's teams have made the playoffs for 9 seasons, this was the first time he has ever even made it to the second round.

Semin has gone to the playoffs every season but one and made it to the second round 3 of 5 times.

Now, I am sure Doan is a nice Canadian guy and all that jazz, but the idea that Doan is some kind of playoff solution just isnt supported by anything at all.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Shane Doan has played 4 more playoff games (55 to 51), and earned less points (15G, 13A vs 15G, 19A) than Alexander Semin.

I am pretty sure that even though Doan's teams have made the playoffs for 9 seasons, this was the first time he has ever even made it to the second round.

Semin has gone to the playoffs every season but one and made it to the second round 3 of 5 times.

Now, I am sure Doan is a nice Canadian guy and all that jazz, but the idea that Doan is some kind of playoff solution just isnt supported by anything at all.
    Are you saying Semin is a better option?

Points aren't everything ya know...especially when talking about Doan

Dobber Sports Icon

Agree to disagree, you're focusing on points, Doan contributes in so many other areas where bongo-boy Semin does not. The relative lack of success has to do with other factors, it's not like Doan's played for powerhouse teams those 55 playoff games.

I would be willing to bet the great majority of NHL team GMs would take Doan over Semin for a 2-year + deal for the same money.

Semin's an elite player and sure he gets way too much of a bad rap, especially that he's one-dimensional (a complete crock, he's actually a good two-way player and penalty kiler), but it's not a figment of the Canadian media's imagination that Semin's a problematic teammate (it has to be a primary reason why he was signed for only 1-year deals two years running by the Caps and he hasn't been able to attract a team 13 days after the start of free agency). So, Canadian, Russian, whatever, NHL GMs know what you're getting in a Shane Doan when you're a contending team, and you're getting way more than Semin, leadership and character in spades.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Are you saying Semin is a better option?

Points aren't everything ya know...especially when talking about Doan
    I'm just starting to get the sense that the NHL and their managers suffer from some sort of low grade insanity. Shane Doan really really cares about his hockey. I get that. I also get that Semin doesnt seem to care at all for large chunks of time.

However, Doan takes stupid penalties in much the same way as Semin (and in the playoffs, it appears to a much higher degree), and while Doan is fine defensively he's hovered around both sides of 0 for his entire career in the NHL.

I get it though, he bleeds hockey and is the type of guy that would die to win. He's probably phenomenal in the locker room as well.

But at what point do you think to yourself, "Self, I could sign Semin for less money and have someone else do the locker room Ra Ra." and count on Semin to score highlight reel goals instead of get really really angry when he loses like Doan.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I would be willing to bet the great majority of NHL team GMs would take Doan over Semin for a 2-year + deal for the same money..

I totally agree here, and I'm starting to get really confused by that. I really am starting to think that the NHL's old boy's mentality is a real and serious hindrance to many of the teams in the league.

Dobber Sports Icon

I totally agree here, and I'm starting to get really confused by that. I really am starting to think that the NHL's old boy's mentality is a real and serious hindrance to many of the teams in the league.

You have somewhat of a point, but I think at the same time you're greatly underestimating the value of locker room leadership, and I think you're undervaluing Doan significantly. He brings a fantastic combination of size, skill, grit, leadership, PP ability, fearlessness, durability, etc. Plus with him, you know what you are going to get, there will be no surprises. With Semin, who knows, you'll get an unmotivated guy one year and then a superstar the next, and lots of injury problems.

If I'm an NHL GM and am running a contender, I might give Semin one year big money but if I'm signiing someone for 2+ years, I almost certainly would go Doan (although I woudn't go beyond 3-4 years at around his current $4.5M, too much risk with the over 35 contract otherwise).

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well, at least he'd give a better bang-for-your-buck than Scott Gomez

Dobber Sports Ninja

I agree that Doan is a great player, and someone I would want on my team. But after thinking about this, if money were the same, I'd take Semin for sure.

Goal scoring is a rare thing, and I'll count on my third line checking centerman to give the 'Win one for the Gipper' talks when we're down by a goal.