Thread: Most Popular League Format?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Most Popular League Format?

I am starting up a new league on ESPN, and was wondering what format draws the SERIOUS players? I'm thinking about 12team,3C,3LW,3RW,4/6D,2G,5BN.Fairly standard scoring.Debating whether to start with keepers prior to draft, or no keepers 1st year? I like the idea of picking an NHL team, and some keepers(2-3F,1D,1G)to start your team.Would appreciate some feedback on this subject. Bob.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Seriously! Nobody has any input on this.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
    Seriously! Nobody has any input on this.
    There a lot of ways to go with this. There are " serious" types in all different league variations.

Me personally, I am a H2H full keeper type of owner. I like building my team and keeping all my players :P.

Do you already have a group of guys to join a league? If so kick things around with them, draw ideas from each other.

IF you are doing this with no owners already involved, just set the league as you feel would be best for your style and best for you to comish then branch out and seek owners for that specific setup.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
    I like the idea of picking an NHL team, and some keepers(2-3F,1D,1G)to start your team.Would appreciate some feedback on this subject. Bob.
    No offense, but most leagues that start up as being "serious" don't consider including an NHL team as part of your roster.

You are building a fantasy hockey team of players... not players + team.

I don't see this as "serious".

(Note: On re-reading my text, this is going to come across as mean. I'm not trying to be mean... I just don't think the "serious" fantasy hockey people, like myself, want to be drafting an NHL team for a fantasy hockey league. I know some people do it, but it's very rare... and many of us don't like it. Sorry - just trying to help.)

Recommendation:
    Scrap the picking of an NHL-team, go with just players. Use one of two options:
    i) Points-Only
    ii) Standard Multi-Cat: G/A/+-/SOG/PPP/PIM, W/SO/GAA/SV%

As keepers go:
    i) First year should be partial-keepers (maximum half your roster)

As other categories go:
    i) Discuss them with your league at Christmas, to take effect the following season. This way teams can adjust their rosters by trades in 2nd half of year if they are out of contention.

The Wolverine

For the NHL team idea, yeah if you want a serious league as Pengwin suggested it's probably not the way to go. However, perhaps a second league with the same group of managers that might work. It gives everyone one 'serious' league where you try to build the best team possible, and other more 'casual' one so you can be more of a fan of specific teams/players.

Also in multiple category formats, depends on what type of activity you are looking for. If you like smack talking and competing against one another, then go for a H2H league. Though in this one you have to accept a bit of luck as in the playoffs anything can happen. Or if you prefer a marathon and one where every stat counts, then roto is the one for you. This league usually ensures the best manager winning.

For league depth, I think your suggestion is a good one, as it ensures that the teams are deep enough but there are still options on FA to keep everyone active. You could even increase it to 4 starting per forward position with 6 starting D, but that comes down to preference.

I don't have experience in keeper leagues so cannot give you feedback there.

But regardless, as Shakedown suggested, it depends on whether you already have a group of managers to bounce ideas off of, or whether you are starting from scratch, which could be set up with your preferred settings and then recruit like-minded managers.

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Newbie

[QUOTE=Pengwin7;989910]No offense, but most leagues that start up as being "serious" don't consider including an NHL team as part of your roster.

You are building a fantasy hockey team of players... not players + team.

I don't see this as "serious".

This is so0ooooo true ^^